Reviews for Triple Triad King
Leonas chapter 10 . 8/29/2014
Wow... hen I found this on ficwad I was saddened by the fact there was only one chapter... But I found more. And now I am saddened again. It appears like the story died. And yet... I loved it from the beginning... and while I wavered around chap 7 I grew strong again during 8 and nine... And now... Now I want even more... I Never thought of giving Squall a harem... now I like the idea especially with how it's being done here... and the fact that squall is trying to grow... That and the use of Triple triad. My favorite side game in Final Fantasy... ever... God why did this have to end *Manly tears*
PhantomDark chapter 10 . 7/5/2014
Hope to see another chapter soon. I find Squall's interest/obsession with Triple Triad funny. I'm hoping to see when he gets the other girls like Xu, Selphie, Rinoa, etc. in his bed for part of his harem and his misadventures obtaining not only the boss cards, but the other GFs, and character cards to become the very best Triple Triad player. Keep up the good work.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
good job great start
scarletmoon chapter 10 . 1/14/2013
great work is there going to be a rinoa/squall chapter also a edea/squall?
Melkijad chapter 10 . 1/3/2013
Very good stuff, theres just the right kind of whimsical air about. The card obsession isnt bad for comic relief, even if its kinda too relevant to the storyline ... or so I get the feeling.
Guest chapter 10 . 12/11/2012
great work keep it up
Reishin Amara chapter 10 . 12/8/2012
oh god...please update soon! so sexy!
UMMX chapter 5 . 12/7/2012
I love this story it good funny, and i like how every keep on pouncing on people
sadistic lunatic chapter 10 . 11/24/2012
Now /this/ was very tasteful.

Xu and especially Fujin really stepped up in this chapter. Fujin's build-up in particular was extremely well-done, from her fantasies to Squall stumbling upon her. I do wonder if Xu will find out about their tryst, seeing as she's asleep right next door...

It's also nice to see Squall finally opening up; hopefully he will make amends (and more) with Quistis, eh?

All-in-all, a delectable treat of a chapter. Great job!

ps. As for the Triple Triad games, it does get a bit difficult to visualise, particularly because I don't memorise the values of each card :'D still, credit where its due, you've clearly put a lot of effort in it- both in constructing the battle as well as showing how it actually affects Squall's paradigm. Just write however you will!
cdog21 chapter 9 . 11/5/2012
I'm really enjoying this story and I'm looking forward to reading more.

As far as AFF is concerned all you have to do is take the file that is in possesion of and copy paste it to AFF. The same coding that does to a file AFF accepts. I don't remember if it is the actual editable file that you can access as an author or the html code version that does it, but it's not really hard to figure out. I do remember that the html code version can be copied and pasted directly to Ficwads uploader.
effect20 chapter 9 . 11/4/2012
That first part with seifer had me dying laughing. Well done
Guest chapter 9 . 11/3/2012
So reading the games is boring as hell.
Vocarin chapter 9 . 11/3/2012
Ahhh, so much going on in this chapter. Where to begin?

The Galbadia 'strategizing' meeting was entertaining. Going for the stupidity of the ideas and how ludicrously high the costs were was particularly funny with the 'Bomb Boom Squad'. I honestly had to look at that a few times to make sure I was reading it right, and their rationale for the idea was, yeah, exactly what I was expecting from Biggs. Was hoping to see more of your OC, but time for that in other chapters. I found the shift from funny military planning to information between Edea and Seifer to the suddenly grim appearance of Ultemicia a good change in pace. Shows you can be quite serious in this, and that's a plus on your side. That said, you mention that Edea was covering herself up when Seifer stormed in, but I didn't see a line indicating that she was naked/topless. Was it just that her low-cut dress was exposing more because she had been throwing stuff around? Or was she naked? And if so, would Seifer, being male and Squall's age, notice? Just something that jumped out at me.

The orphanage scene was well done, and that's a compliment since I felt that the idea of them all knowing each other was an unnecessary cop out in the game, but you pulled it off damn well. The commentary from the others and their distinct voices, Ellone spilling her guts and actually explaining stuff, which would have been wonderful in the actual game, and Xu's hardened pragmatism of 'It changes nothing: she's the enemy, and she surrenders or dies' was enormously refreshing.

Squall's scenes were also very well done as we see him growing and changing from that sullen, sulky teenager (which I found enormously hard to relate to in the game) and growing into something more. That he got that angry over his Quistis card was an excellent detail considering their relationship rift. It also raises another question, but I'll address that in a bit. But kudos for giving him a character arc.

Fujin's scene was also interesting, and I love how you portray her since she has so much potential in the game and gets so little mileage. Showing her as attaching to Squall and giving her more character in the last few chapters, well, very well played there. Rinoa seems a little indecisive and callow in this, but perhaps you are building up to something. The way you ended this chapter was an excellent segue, by the way. Looking forward to see how that shower goes.

Now the question I had from before: what does Squall feel about the ladies in his life? I know you're playing this up as a harem fic, and maybe I mentioned this last time, but it feels a bit... flat, I guess, for some of them. And I don't think it's a place where 'less is more' really applies. He and Fujin, you make their chemistry clear, and that part was thoroughly entertaining. The sex scene with Quistis was hot, and her reaction the next morning was entirely understandable, but I don't know what he thinks of her as a person, a teacher, whatever. He worked hard to get her card back, and the symbolism was excellent in that case, but I'm not sure why it mattered, since I don't know if I caught his motives when he did initiate the sex between them. Was it physical lust? Was it empathy? Was it genuine attraction? Hopefully it will be covered in the next couple chapters, but I'm curious as to what he thinks of their flings. The same goes for Rinoa, since I don't know if he endures her because of the contract, or if there's really any attraction there. She was the initiator in their 'flirting' scene that ends with Squall's room being demolished, but I don't think it says much of what he thinks of her, and if they were an item or he was serious about her, he might have thought of her when he and Quistis were together, etc etc. Again, not a huge deal, and I imagine it will be worked up to as you go, but I think Squall is more than a walking pile of hormones, and you certainly portray him as such, so I'm curious what he thinks of the women in his life, or he's just taking one step at a time.

Anywho, strong showing and good work. Looking forward to the next one,

Vocarin
Akuma-Heika chapter 1 . 10/8/2012
hahahahahaha this was funny! Hope to see this continued!
Vocarin chapter 8 . 9/8/2012
Loving this so far. Lots if interesting twists and flavours I didn't see coming.

And because I think that tells you precisely nothing about my views specifically, I'll break it down a bit more.

The narrative flows easily, for starters. The language is clear and concise and you're avoiding cliches and exaggeration, yet keeping up the playful tone of what's going on in cases like Xu and the OC. Serious enough to be taken seriously, but not so much that it sucks out the humour around cases of, say, Rinoa wanting to blow open the elevator when Fujin and Squall are... indisposed. Or Selphie's running commentary at the concert in ch. 7. That you're having this fic run beside the main story is certainly interesting because it both lets us know what to expect, and yet lets you add your own twist and flair to them, which makes things interesting, to say the least.

Next is the characterization. Despite you making this a harem fic, each character is defined and distinct. The girls are all notably different from each other and don't just melt together into the indefinable blob known as 'female conquests' like I've seen in other fics where you could switch the names of the participants and essentially get the same story. Rinoa's playful, Selphie plays innocent and flirty, Quistis and Xu admire Squall as competition and recognize Triple Triad as vital to his character, and Fujin loves his discipline and authority. And even with the men - Zell's a clown with insecurities, Irvine's along for the ride and enjoying things while they last, and Squall's juggling everything tossed his way, with greater or lesser success. And that's just as interesting - where he fails in the story, namely Quistis' questions and the duel with the FH headman. You didn't make him perfect just because he can be in the game, and that, in my opinion, shows skill. All your characters feel like real people with real motives, and hats off to you for that.

Now that the gushing is over, onto the things that could use some work. I admit the centre alignment threw me at first, but I don't see it as a weakness. Nor as a strength. It takes some getting used to, but that's about it. One thing I have noticed, and it's most apparent in the earlier chapters, is that you tend to confuse the gender pronouns. For instance, when Xu and Quistis are looking in on the dance, there are a number of cases where you use 'she' before actions or thoughts, and it's hard to keep track of which person you're referring to since they're both female.

Beyond all that, I look forward to seeing more, where the story goes and what other adventures or disasters the group get themselves into. So keep it up.

Vocarin