Reviews for Seeing the Eiffel Tower
Ginger713 chapter 1 . 4/29/2020
Carter's enthusiasm is always there. Plans for after the war, spending time with Newkirk, who was married with children, then spending time with LeBeau, who also was married. Yep, things have changed since the three of them were doing missions during the War. Then, you drop the twist on us. Carter had always wanted to see the Eiffel tower. Now he gets his chance to go to the Eiffel tower with LeBeau...but he's BLIND. That BROKE MY HEART. It brought tears to my eyes. They still went even though Carter can't see it or see anything anymore.

I see others have suggestion this, but perhaps a story explaining why & how Carter lost his eye-sight would be good; of course, I know I will need a tissue or three.
mrspencil chapter 1 . 9/11/2019
Pitched so well, with the gradual reveal suddenly stopping me in my tracks.
katbybee chapter 1 . 3/14/2018
I was just thinking about this story, which I read a long time ago. I can't believe I never reviewed it! I wanted to tell you that I think it is probably one of my all-time favorite stories...and one that is to blame for my love now of the Eiffel Tower. I'd love to see Paris one day, anyway, and now, I can't help but think of Louis and Andrew whenever I think of going there. Such a beautiful, sweet story...PMing you about a thought I have...Hugs!
Guest chapter 1 . 1/13/2016
This one made me a little sad. It reminded me that people come back from war changed. My dad spent two years in Vietnam and when he came back, he just wasn't the same person. He was still very gentle and kind but he had turned quiet and kind of sad.
Legolisa chapter 1 . 4/3/2015
Can you please do another story with blind Carter?! I love those stories so much!
Aileil chapter 1 . 1/25/2015
Thank you for writing this story. It's always interesting to see what other folks think happened to the heroes after the war. This story was so pleasant and happy. Then came the end. You really got me with that. I have to admit that I cried a little for poor Carter. It's probably kinda silly seeing as he, of all people, is probably the most cheerful about it. It's what makes Carter so wonderful, he keeps a good disposition no matter what. And it is good that he has such wonderful friends who don't go treating him as an invalid but still just like ol' Andrew. This was very well written.
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 9/7/2014
Nice twist. Well done.
Terri S chapter 1 . 4/13/2014
Hmmmm, after reading the reviews of this story it seems I'm not the only one who would like a prequel to this story. One with many chapters perhaps, dealing with the events leading up to Carter's blindness, how he and his friends dealt with it, and about how they were liberated.

How did it happen? Was there talk about Hogan getting Klink to send him home? Was it more difficult to do because Carter was a POW? Was Carter there when the camp was liberated? Did Hogan have to tell Carter that his blindness was permanent?

You gave me a nibble, but I want more pie. ;0D
Terri chapter 1 . 11/5/2013
I loved your story,but I am curious. Have you ever written a follow up story on how and where Carter lost his sight? Was it on a mission?
Susan M. M chapter 1 . 9/20/2013
Can you just pretend I said what Goldleaf said, since she writes better reviews than I do? Great description and characterization. To finally be in the City of Lights, and then not able to see the view from the Eiffel Tower. Darned good story. (And I liked LeBeau marrying Wilhelmina after the war.)
Wonderland-fae chapter 1 . 4/24/2013
All I can say is - just beautiful. You made me tear-up
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 3/29/2013
I loved how you picked up those lines from the series as the basis for this story: it makes Carter’s post-war visit years afterwards seem very natural. And you set up the story’s surprise very well: I kept having the sense that something was off and had begun to suspect what it was well before you reveal it, but couldn’t quite put my finger on how you did it. I think it was a slow accumulation of subtle details, such as Carter’s comment about the girl’s voice. You did an amazing job of working visual allusions into the story that take on ironic overtones when rereading it: Newkirk working in television, Carter’s reaction to the Louvre, the clarity of light in Paris – all just lovely touches. The dialogue between Carter and LeBeau was spot-on perfect: I could hear their voices as I read. A wonderfully poignant story that never becomes the least bit maudlin!
LiveAndLetRain chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
Awww. Poor Carter. He seems to have adjusted well though, and gone on with his life. (Adjusted better than his friends actually. Just like him.) And he got to go to Paris.
I actually just watched "Request Permission to Escape" last night, but I'm searching my memory and cannot for the life of me remember Wilhelmina. Oh well, an excuse to watch more episodes!
On a side note, kudos for your username. It's a very good song.
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 1/15/2013
Oh what a shock at the end. So, so, sad.

I'm confused as to why Carter likes the weather in . The first time I was there (May 81) it was cold and rainy. LOL

I loved LeBeau's rant about place names in London. Hey, they give it some character.
Glossina chapter 1 . 11/10/2012
I almost passed this by and I'm so glad I didn't. It nearly had me in tears at the end but then, just because Carter's enthusiasm is catchy, even in a story, it seemed to cheer me up. This was wonderful. Thanks for writing it.