Reviews for Vacant Chair
CaraLee934 chapter 2 . 11/21/2013
Poor JD. So lost.
What is it with you and killing off their horses? Not okay!
Mrs. Dunne!
The Death Frisbee chapter 1 . 7/8/2012
Hey there! saw the Hogan's Heroes fic posted, and used to watch that (in syndication) as a kid, but I don't know the other fandom, so went for something I might know a bit better altogether.

With Westerns, I'm expecting a relatively light-on-description, heavy-on-action tone, and that's in evidence here.

The accent (elided 'g's) isn't oversold; you don't have them talking like Lil' Abner. Good handle on that, as I've seen some stories where the dialogue is too corn-pone to live. The line '[h]is accent bespoke magnolias and riverboats' was a good way of describing the accent in short order without overselling it, too

Despite my liking for the last line, at times, the wording gets a bit too overwrought for my tastes: stern visage jumped out.

Vin pointed east. "They went that way." He remounted Peso. "Let's ride," Chris said. - I think you could slow down that a bit. I got a bit too much author-directing sense there, though the cut telegraph wires worked.

Nettie had a strong mother-hen streak in her. - slightly telling and not showing; I don't think you need the line.

Ezra and Josiah have markedly different personalities and priorities, and you do well at showing them through detail.

Well done! Obviously this is a finished, past piece, but I hope you don't mind the thoughts!

***

No SPAG noted.
Duchess67 chapter 2 . 6/20/2012
Oh you had me worried for a while there! Great ficlet. :)
Cassandra30 chapter 2 . 6/13/2012
Superb! Now they have a murder to solve. Apparently who ever killed the circuit rider thought he was killing JD so they bettered get to hunting!
thorsfriend chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
OMG please tell me that there will be more and that JD is not dead.
Black Rook chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
Good to see another one from you!
Cassandra30 chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
Oh no! JD would not 'go easily into that dark night'! He put up a fight. But Milagro might have been shot out from underneath him.
humblefan chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
OMG! You better continue this story soon! My JD has got to be OK.