Reviews for Life After
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 1 . 11/6/2015
It is indeed sad, as expected, but it's so beautifully written that while it helps to convey the sorrow it almost mitigates it in a way. (Weird? Probably.)
I think once again that you know the characters very well and it shows, particularly Mary's resilience and practicality. I've never shipped Richard x Mary but it definitely isn't a hindrance when it comes to appreciating the story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
jmar chapter 1 . 12/4/2013
Long live the spirits of AU. I can't help but think of Scarlett O'Hara when I think of Mary - someone who just wouldn't stay down, a woman who always popped back up & made lemonade from lemons. Mary as a teacher, certainly plausible, afterall, we saw her as a nurse in the previous war. I'm not opposed completely to R/M - I heard the actor say that he thought his character was a better match for Mary than Matthew - but I'm not sure that they wouldn't butt heads constantly. Only one person can steer a ship & I can't imagine eithr of these two being gallant enough to allow the other to make decisions - and then there is William & Caroline - will either parent really loosen the reins? Actually, I know Mary will support William in his role, but I sorta pity the countess-in-waiting...I wouldn't want Mary for a mother-in-law! Very intriguing story, thanks!
Rocks-my-socks chapter 1 . 3/21/2013
I love this - especially William putting the breaks on! If you ever had anything to add on to this, I'd definitely read it :)
1life2ROCK chapter 1 . 11/13/2012
I liked it. Especially the bit with William and Caroline!
FluffyCloudsintheSky chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
I really enjoyed that. I can easily see Richard having a strong-willed, independent daughter! Please continue this story! :) I agree, I wouldn't want to see this at all in the show itself, but it's a fun AU idea like you said!
Bloodsired chapter 1 . 9/11/2012
like it! very interesting AU.
Nathanalie chapter 1 . 8/12/2012
I've been avoiding this story at first after seeing your warnings in the introduction but thought I should give it a try after reading your excellent UC. And I'm so glad i did! I like both M/M and M/R stories and find both guys attractive in different ways.

I know you most probably won't continue with this story but I still have to let you know I'd be the first to read any sequels in case you decide to write one :)
Abigail Esss chapter 1 . 8/3/2012
very well written and very captivating. You had me gripped the whole way through and it was very enjoyable to read x
slimwhistler chapter 1 . 7/24/2012
I LOVED this! Actually some Mary/Carlisle I can stomach (because I like Richard as a character but not with Mary, generally), and wonderfully IC. I really enjoyed the OCs, too, and I loved the detail of Richard having a daughter rather than a son, and leaving her the business, because it seems totally like him not to care, and it reveals a tender side to his character that I always thought might be there, but was only ever alluded to in canon because we were all supposed to think him utterly vile. :) And wow, that was a run-on, but I couldn't help being effusive! :)

The William/Catherine developments (and echoes of the past) were immensely satisfying. I have a physical disability, so I always appreciate when it is brought up in any kind of fiction, particularly when the affected characters are not figures of martyrdom or inspiration, but regular people with productive, sneaky, clever, petulant, amused (insert other contradictory adjectives here) and yes, romantic, lives. Catherine's blunt nature seems like it will ensure that she would never treat him too carefully, and William's combination of Matthew's generally cheerful modesty and Mary's spirit just might keep her from taking herself too seriously.

As if you hadn't already gotten the idea, I would love to see more of these two and how their relationship progresses...I have a feeling it could be QUITE entertaining...but I understand how the muse can be. And a small part of me has to acknowledge that the "unfulfilled potential" of how this story ends makes it all the more striking. That said, I wouldn't be at ALL upset if you ever decided to write more in this universe :)

Sorry for rambling...I felt compelled. :p
jilly chapter 1 . 7/11/2012
Richard would have been a very old man...he is at least 19 years older than mary. I just cannot pictured it.
firefly chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
I like it. I really like it. You have managed to write it in a way that sounds in character and realisitic in some sense
virtualclutter chapter 1 . 6/30/2012
Finally got round to reading this - had been dragging my heels because, truthfully, I was rather nervous about it. Much as I love Richard Carlisle as a character and much as I find him entertaining on the show, I am not a Mary/Richard shipper. But then, or so I tried to calm myself, neither are you, to my knowledge. ;-)

I any case, I've finally read it and I think it's fair to say that I love it. It's sad and bitter-sweet and at the same time looking forward with a kind of tentative hope and I find that I can stomach Mary/Richard rather well in a world where there is no Matthew (anymore) and in which their paths diverge and then, eventually meet again in much altered circumstances.
outshinebycomparison chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
I don't read anything that's not canon, so I was "hmmmm I don't want to read that one either" BUT since it's your work and you've never disappointed me I gave it a try.

I was glad to do it, because I found it very interesting. Mary and Carlisle were IC, which is important to me and I liked that the story wasn't starting as something "romantic". I was reading a relationship between two people who,some time ago, were to share their lives together. The late husband knew her wife well, Mary is a stormbraver and she showed it here.

William (awww for the name choice) seems very much both his parents's child and I can't help but shipping him with Caroline!
Hazelmist chapter 1 . 6/12/2012
That was an interesting AU. Sometimes it gets so boring reading the same thing over and over again and I really enjoyed this one. Especially the way that Mary and Richard's kids interacted with one another, haha. Can't wait to read more of your writing!
Diadora chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
Oh my God! What a story. I liked it very much, except for one thing: You labelled this story as complete and that means there's not going to be another chapter. This is a serious flaw. Please remedy ;-)