Reviews for Forging Rings
MaiWishes chapter 1 . 11/2/2016
Okay I swear I need to stop reading your Sauron pieces, i keep thinking you cant get it that wrong THIS time because the premise is a good one.
Squirrel-fifteen chapter 1 . 8/17/2015
I have read this before. :) Decided to go through the titles you mentioned in your message, and read them.

He really can't catch a brake can he? Morgoth, Gothmog, now Celi. It's amazing how he managed to keep functioning for so long.

I like the portrayal of Celebrimbor's anger. I'm not sure if he would have publicly smacked a Maia, but I can definitely see something of that nature in a private setting. (That's my only complaint. If you can call it that.)

Mairon reaching out to get the elleth away from the city was a nice touch; revealing his gratitude for something so simple as help with a bandage Even when he's dealing out punishment for Celebrimbor's betrayal he's not completely lost in the dark yet. In fact her willingness to come in help him, they're brief little conversation is nice quiet retreat from all the strife surrounding him. His thanks aren't really shown in the moment (which I think fits him) but his saving her definite speaks volumes.

And she did a wonderful job summarizing the whole of his existence. The worst part about it, is even after Eregion he still winds up degraded and abused. The poor boy needs more kindness.

I feel bad not having reviewed this before. But I have read it, and it is a wonderful glimpse into Annatar's life in Eregion.
DrangySmallfoot chapter 1 . 3/29/2015
I always wondered why Sauron wrote the poem about the rings... it just doesn't seem very dark-lordish. But with a more complex character as you show him it seems less out of his ways.
Well, and as always I like this story. You're a great writer!
Zelda-Galadriel chapter 1 . 11/1/2014
Very good story, and very potent. I think it was kind of sweet that when Sauron was invading Eregion, he spared Elenmíriel. And Sauron's reminiscing on how he was always a tool, and how he was going to make the One Ring to stop that was haunting.
One thing: The combination of Elen and Míriel would not be Elenmíriel, but Elemmíriel, dropping the n. Another example of this is Elessar, the combination of Elen and Sar.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/27/2014
I LOVE YOUR WORK. I have been interested in "Annatar" part of Mairons life and your view was perfect. Idea of Mairon serving Celebrimbor confused me at first, but it was good for story. I was surprised by Celebrimbors agresivity. Yeah, definitely fathers and grandfathers nature... On the other hand Elenmíriel was sympatic, I enjoyed scene in wich she healed Saurons injury and her explaining of Celebrimbors actions was something... Your Mairon described her words quite enough. And here we are getting to main character of this awesome story - Annatar. I realy like Sauron of your fanfiction. It is hard to hate him, when you see things from his point of view, view of abused a for very long time mercylessly controlled person. The "tool" idea is so truthful. Everyone would lust for revenge and twist of positions after being just equipment that can be thrown into wall. Cold in relationship of Mairon and Aule is interesting idea too. Shortly, reading of his thoughts and reasons that brought about creating of One ring was more than fascinating. I am also very glad that he saved Elenmíriel. Poem on the end finished it brilliantly. You are fantastic writer.
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 1/24/2014
Your usual grand work, Skye! It’s always so much fun to read one of your stories and see another piece of your distinct version of Sauron fall flawlessly into place. Almost all your stories I’ve read so far were First Age pieces, so it was cool to see your Second Age Sauron as Annatar. And it was a pleasure to see him at work during what may be the most important moment in his life!

It was fascinating to see Sauron’s thought processes as he comes up with the idea for the Master Ring and how his situation in the story – his uncomfortable dependence on Celebrimbor’s hospitality (that’s gotta sting his pride to be beholden to the kin of some of his oldest enemies), his blood, and his realization of himself as a tool – all played into him figuring out how to create and use a Ring that will flip the circumstances upside down. And that’s a neat connection that Sauron gets his idea of the Ring from the way Melkor bound himself to Arda to control it!

I like how you show Sauron’s ability to keep his cool even under circumstances that have got to be infuriating for a proud, independent, powerful Maia. That cool nonchalance in the face of Celebrimbor’s rage, refusing to show any outward signs of his emotions or surprise, was very in character for Sauron, especially in how he’s outwardly calm but inwardly plotting his revenge via the Rings. Celebrimbor’s going to regret that slap in a couple of centuries!

The repeating idea of Sauron being only a tool was an intriguing aspect of the story, and one that I know plays an important role in your vision of Sauron, as is hinted at a couple times here when he thinks about Morgoth. Morgoth obviously treated him in your stories as nothing more than a tool, and one that could most definitely get hurled into the wall when it didn’t perform satisfactorily. It was cool to get to see a glimpse of the Aule-Mairon relationship as well, something I don’t think I’ve encountered in one of your stories before, and to see Sauron’s view of it as a similarly cold relationship. The climax of this one-shot, with Sauron deciding to flip it around and be the one wielding the tools instead of being the tool and how that thought segwayed into the Ring Chant, worked powerfully. When he’s spent so much of his time being the tool, I can see him looking forward to finally being the one with power, the one calling the shots, and after how cruelly he’s been treated as a tool, I can *almost* not blame him for how he turns the Nazgul into his personal tools.

Yes, even before Sauron said it, I was thinking, “Wow, Celebrimbor’s got his family’s temper!” The dynamics between Sauron and Celebrimbor were interesting, as well. I had always seen for myself, and had seen in most other Annatar fics, Sauron in charge and Celebrimbor under his instruction, but I liked how you made the reverse work, and it does make sense that Celebrimbor, as Annatar’s host and as the one who makes the Nineteen Rings, would be in charge (at least outwardly) of the project.

And as a very random conclusion, I liked the sentence about Sauron picking up the ring, “the innocent looking instigator of this whole incident.” I chuckled and thought, “Doesn’t that just about sum up the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy there?”
It’s always a pleasure to read your fics, Skye. Your Sauron makes me want to fangirl squeal, and as much as I know I should hate him, I just can’t. Keep on writing! Cheers :)

-Sauron Gorthaur
Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 1 . 9/28/2012
Tools to be picked up and discarded at will. How was it that an elleth had managed to sum up his entire existence in so few words? That was all he had ever been to those he had served.
Sad cruelty.
Maybe then, he could stop simply being a tool in others hands, and instead be the hands that guided others. He would create a Ring that would let him rule all.
I understand... You commented earlier that the wielder of the wing has to have a strong will. Apparently, you haven't researched the Men well enough to foresee that they would become Nazgul obeying the will of the Ring and leaving their kingdoms behind. With dwarves, it was quite fine; their avarice increased, because it was already here, but the dwarves would have thrived, had you not unleashed your armies, balrogs, onto them. With elves... I do not know. They refused to wear the three rings. Partly because of the cruelty of Celebrimbor, one of their creators? And you haven't thought of hobbits; apparently, they would have been even less susceptible to the rings than dwarves were.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord, on his dark throne,
In the land of Mordor, where the shadows lie. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them In the Land of Mordor, where the shadows lie.
'Ruling' is not necessarily cruel, or dictatorial. Ruling can be just, merciful, and kind.
I wonder... What would have happened had the Rings been created with a peer-to-peer mentality, intention of ruling together? I understand that the truth of the unseen lies in the realm of the shadows...
Elves, Dwarves, Men, Dark Lord - all equals. All wearing the Rings. All seeing the unseen, dragged into the realm of the shadows. The Dark Lord, on his dark throne, in the land of Mordor, where the shadows lie, has advantage of homeland over other ring bearers who are brought into shadows, for the Dark Lord knows the shadows better than anybody else. Yet, the Dark Lord, by inviting them here, by amplifying their natural powers by their Rings of Power, gives them an advantage, for he could not hope to win against all of them, should they unite.
In the land of Mordor, where the shadows lie. One ring to unite them all, one ring to find them, One ring to help them all and in the darkness trust them In the Land of Mordor, where the shadows lie.
Could it be the answer, changing a few words? For the Black speech has not to be evil, and the Dark Lord has not to be the supreme ruler. Truth and trust are more important attributes of the shadows than fear and domination. You have reminded me of one of my pending crossovers... Thank you.
Good day, good night, and good luck.
LadyAnnatar chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
That was really amazing! I like the only-a -tool theme and how you wove Aule into it as well. Makes me kinda sad, just a little. And I liked the Elfwoman smith thread also.
Maya chapter 1 . 6/11/2012
Oh brilliant story, its a pleasure to read your works. I hope you go on with them.
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 1 . 6/11/2012
Oh, I really enjoyed that! It's such a fascinating, and, I think, very accurate look into Sauron's motives behind forging the Ring. You portray his thoughts and emotions very well, and I see that, yes, this is the answer you found to your thoughts on Sauron's relationships with both Morgoth and Aulë. :)

By the way, I really loved your Celebrimbor! We see so little of him in any of the books, despite his significance, and you characterized him well. Sauron's quote, "I see Celebrimbor has inherited his grandfather's temper." summed my thoughts exactly! :)

Great work!

-Crackers
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
Nicely done, and it was nice for him to spare that one elleth...