Reviews for The Skies of Gallifrey
BadWolfGirlx chapter 1 . 7/28/2014
Loved it! It's poetic and pretty and flowed so well.
NeoMiniTails chapter 1 . 2/5/2014
Another random review for the people of randomness.

Fandom blind. I really liked this... I like how you used something so simple and realistic as your choice to write a story about how simple things can mean something totally different after certain events. For me, there was a show that I used to love but I can't watch anymore because I found out my grandma died while watching an episode, now the show only reminds me of her death...

Anyways, love the difference in his originals thoughts of the redness in the sky: beautiful, fierce.. helped him cope with being exiled, reminded him of his own people... wonderful... then how it changed now: making cringle, reminding of everythings he's lost.

I love the description in this piece also: crimson, dark like blood
scarlet fields become ash,
great cities reduced to rubble

Strong imagery... "nothing but fire and blood and destruction".. your tone in your writing is wonderful and powerful. Awesome job!

Good job,
Until Next Time,
Neo
truces chapter 1 . 8/13/2013
NO NO NO NO NO
THIS IS NOT OKAY
I WOULD GIVE YOU AN RLTISH COHERENT REVIEW, BUT THE FEELS.

Just, this is perfect.
The Wild Wild Whovian chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
*tears*

Thank you.
Aiko Isari chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
I hear David Tennant. I am so happy right now that I can mentally hear David Tennant thinking as the Tenth Doctor. You are squee. You are the living embodiment of making me squee.

You make direct wonderful. It's not so direct everything is being told to me. However there is enough detail that tells me the bones. You let me allow my imagination rise up and fill in the gaps on his own. My favorite line is actually not the tagline, but this one:

"It's only through pure willpower that he keeps himself from screaming along with them, standing there in the TARDIS."

This one sums it up the best for me. It sums up his character the best more than the color could. It brings forth the abyss the Doctors of the new series eventually fall into. It makes it very clear that there is an intense rawness to what he had done to his people that would never leave him. The red is a symbol but the abyss is an everlasting scar.

It's a really beautiful work. :)
Her Royal Nonsense chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
I don't know anything about Doctor Who but my goodness, this was pretty darn exceptional. Your imagery - particularly with the 'scarlet fields becoming ash' bit and the rest of that paragraph was so... perfect, poetic, intricate. It's magnificient really, what some people can evoke with so few words. Usually I try to provide some sort of critique but I cannot think of anything here - I fully appreciate your talent.

Well done.
TheTabbieCat chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
Though this is quite short it was still rather enjoyable. I especially liked the line 'as Gallifrey burns and crumbles around him' it made it seem as if he'd never escape it. It's quite sad at the end though, it made me feel bad for him.
ballofstring66 chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
Wow some very powerful imagery here. Love the use of colour as something that provokes memory and how that memory has changed.

I think the first sentence got away from you a bit - it's very strong Imagery but the ounctuation didn't seem quite right.

If you didn't know this would give you a very good introduction. For those that do it's an glimpse into the turmoil in his mind. I love the scorched sky. Well done.
MessengerOfDreams chapter 1 . 1/9/2013
How you people can possibly do such succinct work and make it so engaging and brilliant is beyond my power of understanding. I try and do a 1k work and it ends up 10k. I cannot condense well, so it always impresses me when people can. I'm like a magician watching one who has mastered something I cannot do, and I am watching with a hint of envy and visible awe.

How you can describe an entire war, a cavalcade of destruction, the effect it has on this one character and the entire reassignment in his memory of the color red in less than 200 words is incredible, honestly. It displays an art of description, character development, history and life itself that we must only imagine the rest of outside of this snapshot of this moment, and that's incredible.

My method that I can't seem to help is to bring that world of history to late. It takes iron willpower not to do that, and incredible skill to leave us a marvelous work in spite of that.

(also can you fill in my tag? Thanks!)
TheAwsomeOpossum chapter 1 . 12/17/2012
Very nice short piece. There are several things I like about this. First off, you have really great descriptive capability. Every word is being used to give more detail, and you group them together perfectly. All of the color words really set a theme for your piece, and draw a strong image in one's head.

Another thing I like is how you are not too direct about how he feels. You say it such few words that it leaves the mind to draw out exactly the despair he is in. The way you state your words in your sentence epitomizes it.

As for things I don't like... well... I wish it was a bit longer. You could do a lot with something like this. Perhaps you'll try and add a few chapters sometime? It's quite a good start.

Hope this helps,
-TAO
RedheadedMarina chapter 1 . 10/21/2012
Very well written, as usual. I don't know much about Doctor Who as a fandom, however, this came across to me as very bittersweet, and the theme of something beautiful changing into something painful is certainly universal. The imagery and sense memory of the Doctor that you place throughout the story works well and pulled me right in. From the little I know of Doctor Who (which is basically that there have been several Doctors and there is a TARDIS), I still enjoyed seeing the perspective of something from his past.
IrishPanther chapter 1 . 10/18/2012
Wow, this was a deep one-shot you've written here! Honestly, this little drabble made me think and imagine a place such as the one described (Gallifrey), and the picture that I was able to imagine up was as clear as day. You have such an amazing knack at description, and your writing skills are incredible! I spotted no grammatical errors while reading, so excellent work on that department! Once again, I truly adored reading this wonderfully written one-shot! :)
Dominus Tenebrosus chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
Oh Cass. You're the master of the short story. :P

The first paragraph really sets up that juxtaposition with the second paragraph very well. Then, third paragraph, boom! Right in the heartstrings. One sentence recap, and you leave the reader thinking, "Woah. How'd she pack that much into so little?"

Well done. :)
ReadingBlueWolf chapter 1 . 9/7/2012
It may be a short piece but it has an amazing ending! I love the imagery you put in this with scarlet fields and the sky being crimson at dusk. With as short as this is, it totally sucks one into the world in an instant. Amazing job!
truthsetfree chapter 1 . 8/26/2012
Great use of sight in this. The specific color words help paint a very vivid picture. Great connection of the Doctor's emotions to what he sees. Nice shift from the idyllic scene in the first paragraph, to the devastation of the second, to the sheer horror of the third, and finally the sense of grief in the last line.

Nitpicking:
In the first sentence, the words "dark like blood" are used to describe the sky he used think of longingly. It has no negative connotations in that sentence. It's simply a way to describe the color. In the second sentence of the second paragraph, you say the Doctor "sees nothing but fire and blood and destruction." In that sentence, partly because of its physical proximity to the previous use of "blood," it reads as repetitive and of a different tone than the previous mention of "blood." I believe this piece would be stronger if you took one of the "blood" out of one of those paragraphs, and my preference would be to remove the second one and replace it with "carnage" or something.