Reviews for The Warp is Calm
unanimously anonymous. mostly chapter 4 . 9/18/2013
So far so good.

Just a few comments & questions:

1. I am abit confused about some of the characters.
Khan is a lord inquisitor and the leader of this crusade, right?
Zechariah is his second in command and the one who played "Matriarch Imperious", right?
Who exactly is Haarlock?

2. If I remember correctly, you implied at some point that Asari melding is a form of psykery,
but in this chapter wrote about: "...the nanomachines that were intrinsic to Asari Biotics and reproduction...".
That really came out of nowhere, and it doesn't make sense on a couple of different levels.

A. Nanomachines are not magic, you need to tell them what to do. They can't just decide to destroy implants, because that can lead them to attack wanted implants and replacment organs.

B. Asari reproduction worked perfectly even when Asari lived in caves and thought that the Protheans were gods (come to think of it, they still kinda do...), they didn't have nanomachines at this point.

C. Biotics don't need nanomachines to work either. Even if the canon theory about them is a tad more fantasy than sci-fi, adding nanomachines into the mix dosen't make it any better...

3. It's usually a theme in most W40K crossovers, that the W40K guys come and just curb stomp everyone else's faces. And I suppose that it's kinda justified too, because in W40K universe everything is so grotesquely huge and blown out of proportions, that nothing from "outside" really stands a chance.
It's not all bad, it's actually part of W40K's charm...
Anyway, about the tech-priests and how they usually blow away ME's encription and electronic counter measures, I think that this is one area in which the W40K guys can't claim the "I win" button, and might even suck.
Think about it, in a society in which (almost) the only ones who know anything about technology and computers, are a bunch of religious fanatics that tend to clasify any new and unknown technology as "heresy", and have a very narrow way of thinking about technology, and more importantly - this society doesn't have internet \ extranet or any other tool that makes for an excellent training ground for hacking and cracking and pushes everyone to be better, how good can they be when compared to a modern society with the extranet and the proven ability to make advanced AI's like EDI or the Geth?
cszolee chapter 4 . 9/17/2013
I really love this new chapter. Keep on, good sir, and may Teh Emprah protect you :)
MissGardenia chapter 4 . 9/16/2013
fffff...stupid website. FWIW, last Guest review was me.
Guest chapter 4 . 9/16/2013

Honestly, I think the largest problem I have with this fic is that my common perception, right or wrong, of the modern Imperium is that they are generally xenophobic assholes with no sense of moderation, nuance, or tolerance, which balances out their masses of bodies and Cool Tech. Because of this, unfortunately, when you have Reasonable Inquisitors and suchlike, it feels a little bit coming off like a Gary Stu to me (right or wrong they feel a little Imperium agents in name only), with most of the good points of being a W40k cross and none of the bad. Haarlock in particular feels a bit too modern and whimsical (and I'm sure there's some explanation or in-joke for certain things I'll get if I checked the SB thread).
Guest chapter 4 . 9/16/2013
quantum-leap is really really really really small

Quantum mechanics and physics deal with incredibly small things

so a quantum-leap would be almost unnoticeable from where they started

Great chapter though man Many happys here
giodan chapter 4 . 9/16/2013
mmmm a out of context problem? ahahahahah! i'm very curius now!
Blinded in a bolthole chapter 4 . 9/15/2013
-Was that teleportaion or cloaking technology/psychic technique? The former seems to usually come with a "Pressure building up behind eyes" among other things. Though that could depend on quality of teleportarium unit. My guess is pyschic techniques.

-Tau? I'm not sure if they were anything major until I'm sure Tyranids and Necrons were definitely past mid-M41.

- "Matriarch Imperious" of "Hereticus Tenebrae"... had he been in the Home Galaxy there would be much face-palming involved. Guess the STG/Shadow broker would rushing at their turian archives though.

- I reckon the reason why Kara was not "purged" with extreme prejudice for grave crime of touching an Astartes's battle-plate is because the Imperials are still not sure if Asari are aliens or simply a race of Abhumans. Though that Shadow Warden's patience is very remarkable.

- If they had any vid of those"heavy combat mechs" they would have found them to be at the very least AI controlled monstrosities.

- Wow... someone is found of his fertility drugs... and doesn't seem to mind aliens too.

- I do believe the Collectors and by extension the Reapers also monitor Extranet and Comm-buoys.

- BTW I took liberty of recommending your story in Black Library forum's fanfic recommendation thread.
Abaddon953 chapter 4 . 9/15/2013

As a WH40K lover, I feel obligated to inform you that, for the rebooted Ch.4, Imperial Macrocannons ARE NOT laser weapons. They are solid projectile weapons, like the autocannon, which are the main guns of today's main battle tanks. Astartes don't use lasguns, hellguns, multilas, or hot-shot lasguns. Having read many of the Black Library books, there is only one instance where they do use hellguns, and even then they are still derogatorily referred to as "flashlights". Skitarii are also so heavily modified that any physical or visual trace of gender is wiped away by their augmetics and armor.
Other than that, good chapter.

alex.rushing.5 chapter 4 . 9/15/2013
Fertility am irite?
The DCG chapter 4 . 9/15/2013
Now im interested in what happens with the cute Asari chibi, that was a nice toss in to break up the battles.
Darksnider05 chapter 4 . 9/15/2013
Yay monstrous people from 40k woo.
coduss chapter 3 . 9/5/2013
great story, glad to see some Finally had the brilliant idea to keep Nihlus alive
Blinded in a bolthole chapter 3 . 8/26/2013
In the grim darkness of far future even pregnancy can be Grimdark.

Lack of a "strong" (as human presence, which I think were originally from the Galaxy far away and had escaped into the ME-galaxy during chaos of the Old Night, kind of guarantees) daemonic presence can be attributed to the Cycle the Reapers have unleashed upon the galaxy.

Though in itself the small periods of large scale (comparatively) and extreme violence DOES create daemonic creatures but considering just how short they are compared to the relative peace and how most races are cut short before developing any psychic potential, I'd think the chaotic entities had never moved past "Warp Beast" stage.

On that note, I'd imagine the local humans might also possess some level of Psychic powers (enough to light a matchstick at cost of melting their brain, I'd imagine), what with their possible journey here dating back to earlier stages of Psychic Manifestation and general calmness of the warp due to lack of Eldar.

BTW have the Inquisition brought any Xeno samples from home-galaxy to test their reaction? I'd imagine Orks would be unaffected, while Eldars and Dark Eldars would have some noticeable reaction to being separated from She Who Thirsts (ranging from regaining their race's original vitality to being stripped of their soul) and the likes of Genestealers would just serve as beacon for the next Meal of the Devourer.

The "Strange mods" suggests the Asari are not near-human but genetically engineered abhumans. Kinda odd, they Protheans kinda outlive the Imperium and were defeated around the same time as Birth of the Emperor. Could it be that at height of their power the Protheans have visited Terra (their advanced warp-free stasis technology enables them to bypass one of the major limits of ME-based FTL: lack of supplies due to small size of the ships) and brought some samples home with themselves?

Tis a fantastic story. Do keep it up!
Blinded in a bolthole chapter 2 . 8/26/2013
Laser Macrocannon? The way I understand it (and I could be wrong) Macrocannons fire massive slugs and Las-batteries/Lances fire well... Laser. It's kinda like saying "Las-Bolter". Though this Frigate/Raider can have both.

Actually Wrex was born well over 300 years after Krogan Rebellion (being 700 years old during ME1-3) though his old man had faught in both Rachni war and the subsequent rebellion.

"equipped with impractically-expensive weapons and equipment" Maybe it is so here... I mean automated mini-rocket launcher? MBT-grade armor?

Also I like to point out that MEverse's known galaxy despite covering almost all of the galaxy is less than 2% of the actual whole (which I think was a deliberate effort by Reapers to make their divide and conquer strategy work better). For all the ME-guys know they might be some new power from the other 98% of the galaxy?

Haarlock... now I remember where I've heard this name.
Shao Leafwalker chapter 3 . 8/25/2013
The encounter clock starts its count down.
I always thought the world of Mass Effect has the Council played by a bunch of hypocrites. It will be interesting to see how they deal with an Imperium that doesn't just blindly accept what their told while also refusing to assimilate into the Citadel.
182 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »