Reviews for The Warp is Calm
TheLastHuman chapter 3 . 6/26/2012
I like this story, especially way you go about telling it. Shepard seems deeper, but Khan just seems a little bit fantastical. I know he's the closest thing to a humanitarian in 40k...but why (granted I may have missed it because I didn't read chapter 1 in one sitting) but it seems he's a little too perfect and ethical that makes him seem like the second coming of the Emperor. Obviously he has flaws and limitations, but they don't seem very apparent.

As for letting your Christian values intercede in your writing... I can empathize with writing what you know and believe, but try to remember these people aren't saints, they are both soldiers and their universe are both gritty. In mass effect you can't save everyone, and in warhammer ethics and humanitarianism just seems naive.

That said this story is yours, and you are telling it quite well. I did enjoy when breathed some humanity into the imperium, but it is warhammer 40k and it can't all be flowers and sunshine.
MetalKing1417 chapter 3 . 6/25/2012
Those poor nobles just learned the first rule of trying to decieve an inquisitor- don't try to decieve an inquisitor.

As for the Christian values affecting your work, as long as they don't get int o the real hotbutton issues (like orientation) i'm sure that it will be fine.
Arthur Nathaniel Onymous chapter 3 . 6/24/2012
Another great chapter, as usual.

And as for Chora's Den… I agree completely. It is always portrayed as being legitimate, which really doesn't make any sense. It is a home to the scummiest scum that exists anywhere in the known galaxy, so depicting it as a 'sad example of moral decay' is accurate, regardless of your reasons for doing so.
Jyggalag chapter 3 . 6/23/2012
Good chapter. I like how you displayed the council as actual leaders instead of the idiots they are in the game. Delivering an ultimatum to the Batarians was a sound move on their part, and it should show the Batarians that the days of getting slaps on the wrist is over.
Jouaint chapter 3 . 6/23/2012
Hey great chapter. Also I am glad the two sides are going to meet. Also thanks for being so good with updating.
edboy4926 chapter 3 . 6/23/2012
Good chapter.

Can't wait for the contact between the two humanities.
Cheeki Breeki chapter 3 . 6/23/2012
Another good chapter.

Regarding your Christian world views, if you want to put your ideals into Shepard that's fine, I don't particularly like it when a writer tries to shove sexuality down my throat just so they can get their jollies. It makes sense to include Christianity on the Imperium's side too, mostly because the Emperor has been alluded to being Jesus and other religious icons (Like Mohammad and Buddha), as well as amazing leaders throughout history (Winston Churchill and Julius Caesar being the most notable). In a universe with only Evil Gods, the Emperor was the only one considered a good god. Sure he was a douche and terrible father, but he also had the powers of a god (Being able to Destroy Souls for one) and has lived a thousands lives on top of being alive for 48000 years. It'll be interesting how you fit the Emperor into how religion works in Mass Effect, if you decide to include it at all.
Eipok chapter 3 . 6/23/2012
Well, another great chapter, though I was slightly disappointed you didn't get to the crossover part yet, but JU appreciate all the buildup and wouldn't want it any other way, and I'm not about to ask you to work so inhumanly fast that you pump out twenty-thousand word chapters every week.

As for your Christian world view infecting the supple flesh of this story... I'm honestly quite torn. On the one hand I'm pleasantly surprised as Zechariah definitely doesn't come across as a christian character (and in fact seems to agree wholeheartedly with The Emperor on the subject of gods and superstition), and I see no Christian influences in him. In fact, the only hint of Christianity I've noticed so far is Shephard. That said, I was expecting you to treat Shepard's Christianity as a sort of young naïveté, to be washed away by contact with the Imperium and its history, and am immeasurably sad to hear that that is not the case. After all, I could no more easily believe in the God of the Bible than in Nurgle, a fact which I find particularly depressing as Nurgle is by far the more pleasant character.

The one silver lining in all this is that you seem both incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable, and so there may yet be hope for you. If you would be willing, I would love to have a discussion with you on all this nonsense, so that I may at least get to the root of your beliefs and come to understand what it is you really stand for, as when you say you are a devout Christian and that you believe sex before marriage is immoral, I'm afraid people (myself included) develop an incredible amount of preconceptions, many of which are entirely negative, and also, fortunately, easily corrected. So please, hit me up so we can chat about this. Just remember, Grandfather Nurgle loves all his children!
gbbz chapter 3 . 6/23/2012
Quite a quick update. Very much appreciated.

Now, on to serious things. I really liked it. Much heavier on the ME than the 40k, but I like why and how the author implemented it. I fell letting us, the readers, know the backgrounds of every member of the N7 team, was a nice step, especially if they will feature prominently in the following chapters. Even better, if their personal histories will weigh heavily on their interactions with the Imperials.

I shudder to think what Haarlock did to that lady. It wasn't anything pleasant, I'm sure. What I particularly enjoyed in that scene is the distinction made between the greedy and people of true conviction. Cynicism and idealism.

Great chapter and hoping for more fairly soon!
karthik9 chapter 3 . 6/23/2012
it is excellent chapter i look forward to future updates
Rexnos chapter 3 . 6/22/2012
I'm always remarkably impressed with how you can take a universe and make it yours. While a great percentage of your writing in the Mass Effect section of the story is canon, you've managed to change the characters entirely. Shepard is much deeper and stronger. Instead of a selection from a menu, we've seen exactly why Shepard is so driven and motivated. As for the rest of his teammates, they're already at least as developed as the companions from the original games. They haven't received a staggering amount of screen time, save for maybe Sheila, but we already know a good deal about them.

In addition, you've changed the council from a giant road block into something much more suited towards managing intergalactic politics. I could never understand why they were so hesitant to act dynamically. There could be dozens of reasonable explanations, but I've mostly decided to chalk it up to poor writing. Since the reapers never really stepped out of the shadows, they needed another bad guy to keep you occupied. I suppose the third game is an exception, but the ending was such a hack job it doesn't matter anyway.

I was a little concerned about Khan's actions this chapter though. His strength wasn't even an issue. A room full of unarmed nobles should be nothing for him. However, I find it odd that he bothered to deal with it himself at all. Perhaps the scale of the treason they were considering was a bit more extreme than I understood, but it seems like he should have had better things to do than execute a handful of imbeciles. Doesn't he have people who could do that for him? It's probably my unfamiliarity with 40K talking, but that felt a little strange.

On another note, are we going to see any of the other Mass Effect cast in the story? We caught a glimpse of Udina and I vaguely remember seeing Anderson (thought that may have been a different story entirely...), but not a hair of Kaidan or Ashley yet. I wouldn't miss them much if they didn't show up, but it'd be a shame if Liara and Wrex missed out. Liara is cute in a nerdy sort of way with her rambling speech and Wrex is just a boss. As awesome as your fight scenes are, it'd be a tragedy if Wrex didn't get to go Krogan battle master on some poor sap.

As for your Christian worldview, anyone who is personally offended is not only an idiot, but also way too thin skinned. You've written about body mutating diseases, outright torture, and killing on a grand scale. If they're offended because you believe in abstinence, then they're obviously more than a little skewed.

Later,

Rex
Impstar chapter 3 . 6/22/2012
Not bad, but I hope that contact between the two groups happens soon. As of now, it is a little disconcerting to jump between them all the time.
Akira Stridder chapter 3 . 6/22/2012
hmm yup i would be proud too..
OnlineImhotep chapter 3 . 6/22/2012
Hah, traitors cannot be allowed indeed.

Also; I'll miss the bumbling idiots amongst the council...

But it is far better to see them go.
Lord Sia chapter 2 . 6/22/2012
So this will not be "One Man Against The World"? Well, I'll be damned but you proved me wrong; this fic *can* get better.
182 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 .. Last Next »