Reviews for My Father's Past Echoes
The Cool Kat chapter 6 . 7/22
Zhong’s a pretty desperate wolf in this one. Like he said in chapter 3, he’s spent most of his life dishing out pain and now he’s getting a lot of it back, but he’s not gonna let his kid pay for his mistakes. While it was implied at in Chapter 2, Pung targeting the father and son duo for revenge is a nice way of tying the story’s threads together, showing that everyone here has a few things in common, like love and loss, and they’re stuck in a rather vicious cycle of retribution (perhaps Yu, the latest in the chain, will be the one to break it?). Zhong seizing control and promising to kill one last time if Yu dies is perfectly in character for a dad out of options and a wolf with a ruthless past; and the ending is a redemptive moment for the Wolf Boss, with him embracing his pup only to be shanked by Feng, taking on Yu’s curse for the last few days while the tigers finally get their revenge. I doubt Zhong will die here, he has too much unfinished business with pretty much everyone, but I do wonder and worry how he’ll bounce back from this, since the masters should be fresh out of antidote. I’m also pretty curious about Yu’s perspective. He’s young and I doubt he’s had time to process much, since he’s been in horrible agony the whole time, but over the last few days he’s learned Zhong is a former bandit, a war criminal and a mass-murderer. Someone who was every bit as bad, if not worse, than the tigers who took away his family. He’s also the guy who’s been a great dad and a source of comfort to him since day one, and literally got himself killed saving his life. Assuming Zhong survives, Yu has the rather difficult task of reconciling the two Zhongs in his head and deciding how he feels about his daddy now, not unlike Koda in Brother Bear.

I’m looking forward to the next one. :)

The Cool Kat chapter 5 . 7/22
I remember when you first started writing this fic a few years ago, you were kind of down on your writing. You shouldn’t be, because this story is adorable. Rereading it again now, I love your Wolf Boss. Rough around the edges, knowledgeable, goofy, hot-tempered, affectionate, remorseful, tough. Boss Wolf had a strong devotion to his pack and was like a father to his men, so it makes sense that he’d feel a kinship to a wolf pup lost in the night in chapter 1. His tender, teasing bond with Yu goes beyond that though, and it took hold so quickly and so naturally that I have to wonder if Zhong had ever thought about being a daddy before this but dismissed the thought because of his dedication to the pack and Shen’s endgame. I’m sure he also enjoyed Yu’s company, since he’d spent a year in insolation, stewing in guilt. Yu and Mafa are fun guys as well. Yu’s a bubbly, finicky, trusting, lazy pup and a really good kid character, and Mafa’s a wise, secretive lupine who seems to like winding up his old friend and boss. The first four chapters noted that Zhong has changed a lot, becoming less of a tough guy (but still pretty badass) with a renewed moral compass that sometimes leads him to say hypocritical things, and Chapter 5 proves that with him swallowing his pride and risking a confrontation for Yu’s benefit. Except things don’t go to plan. Tigress’s horror ends this chapter on a strong cliffhanger and I feel like cursing those tigers.

GrayZeppelin chapter 6 . 6/22
So very dramatic. I could not believe how this happened in my trembled eyes turned to ice!

I know it has been too long for you to write, but I always have patience to seek the next mysterious chapter for Zhong's journey for your own plot. I'll be the only one who shall review in honest for me to type positive.

Keep up the good work, and hopefully you'll work harder to do your best, and writing is much harder to expect a great story.

-GZ
0XxShinigamixX0 chapter 4 . 12/14/2014
I like this story make more XD
GrayZeppelin chapter 4 . 12/29/2013
The story looks brave as it is, being adopted by a lobo who worked with an old enemy who slaved panda village. It's getting good on the story actually, try to post the chapter five as you can. Peace.

-tallzergio
The Cool Kat chapter 4 . 12/14/2013
I’d hardly call this filler; more of necessary set-up for things to come. Because if things just happened randomly with no build-up or explanation at all this story would become nonsensical fast and totally suck. And I should know, because I’ve read more than a few fics like that (*shudders*). As it stands, this is still a really good story, and chapter four does everything it should. It shows us the effects of the poison worsening, just as Mafa said it would. It takes us to the Valley of Peace without dragging things out for too long (the whole race against time thing helps to speed things along). It sheds some light on this Mafa character (he’s romantically involved with Master Tigress? What the what?). And it makes us laugh.

There’s references to poor, underappreciated, nutball Meg from Family Guy. There’s Zhong reacting to the news that one of his bandits went behind his back and had an affair with the enemy (again, what the what?). And there’s Zhong calling his ‘son’ a cuddle whore in his head (affectionately of course). Like the guy before said, the humor’s balanced well enough with the moments of suspense and despair that it never feels out of place. I especially liked Zhong acknowledging how his behavior has changed over time.

The ending of this chap was more optimistic than usual, but despite Zhong’s hopefulness I’m pretty sure the next step of the plan will be anything but easy.

Wolffan2715 chapter 4 . 12/2/2013
I am really loving this story a lot, I can't wait until you come ou with chapter five, I honestly love how you get the laughs in there in some of the serious moments especially that family guy reference, noone likes Meg it's just the way things are.
JubJub 0250 chapter 4 . 11/28/2013
Keep updating :)
deleteduser00000 chapter 4 . 11/28/2013
Awww, the lil Wolf Boss is acting like a daddy! 3
Animation Universe 2005 chapter 4 . 11/28/2013
Looks as if Zhong is getting used to being a father. It's well worth the wait! Post more!

-AniUniverse '05
The Cool Kat chapter 3 . 8/17/2013
God, I’ve missed this story. Before I address the plot, I want to cover the characters.

Zhong, bless his heart, is just as gruff and loveable, and even a bit noble, as I remember him being. His love and concern for the boy he’s come to see as his son really comes through in this chapter. Going to the Valley of Peace would be like walking into the lion’s den for him – he honestly has no idea what could happen, but he’s willing to face the consequences of his past sins if it means saving Yu. He really does have a good heart.

And then there’s Yu. You said this fic was inspired “Erdan” and “Erdan 2”, so Yu could have easily turned out a (younger) carbon copy of Erdan, but instead I’m pleased to see you made his character all your own. We’ve only known for him three short chapters, and I doubt he’ll talking much after this one (what with him going through the equivalent of a very painful Botox treatment all over his body), but we already know so much about him. He complains a lot, he’s a bit naïve, he likes fruits and vegetables, and he’s very devoted to Zhong. He’s a fully fleshed out character, just like his father, and that makes us care that much more about his suffering.

I’ve never told you this before, but father/son stories are a favorite genre of mine. “Bambi II” was one of my favorite animated movies from my childhood (and still is), and some of my favorite episodes from “Legends of Awesomeness” are the Po/Mr. Ping ones (“Master Ping”, “Love Stings”, “Qulin Time”). So Zhong and his son’s light-hearted exchanges are part of what makes this fic so endearing to me.

The Mafa character your friend thParisienne created makes an interesting addition to this story, and I wonder what his connection to Zhong is. Also, I like that white wolves exist as well as gray ones in this universe.

As for you temporarily losing interest in this story, I’ve been there. There are times I write ideas for a fic I’m so excited about, and then toss them out like a day later for various reasons. Maybe it’s too similar to something I (or somebody else) has already written, maybe the plot seems boring upon second reading, or maybe the story is too shallow and insubstantial for me to spend months working on.

Besides a few typos here and there, this was another solid, entertaining chapter that left me hungry for more. Good job Luke.

T.C.K.

P.S. I love Yu’s comeback ‘At least I’m not old’.
BloodyWolf83 chapter 3 . 8/16/2013
That was a awesome story I really really loved Nd enjoyed it please continue please
Animation Universe 2005 chapter 3 . 8/5/2013
Whoa...what's gonna happen now? Looks like Zhong is getting into being a dad now.

-AniUniverse '05
Alpha tiger chapter 3 . 8/5/2013
It so great that you updated this story, but it was worth it because this was a great chapter to read, anyway can't wait to see what happen next.
deleteduser00000 chapter 3 . 8/5/2013
OOOHHH! That looks amazing!