Reviews for Into Gethsemane
PadawannaB chapter 11 . 6/26/2012
There's so many things I love about this chapter: from the excruciating eternity of making choices, arguing and taking stands, to the aftermath of Ianto and John's agreement; from the sad endings of employments to the subtle but oh so powerful reference to drug-dealing aliens and terrible things that never were; from the little Mickey/Tish-thing to the wonderful 'Yes'. The conversations carried the voices of the characters really well, and the situations in all their tragic happiness and joyful sadness were just perfect. Emotional, and so very, very good.

But if there's one thing that truly made me smile a watery smile, and will, most likely, stick with me for a long time, it's Ianto telling Perry to visit Lois. That's him giving Lois a gift, the one he knows she truly needs to get through it. It just made me love him even more. That little sub-story, under all the other good stuff, is perhaps my favourite part. Perhaps. Can't really decide, too many lovely things in this :)

And that Sherlock reference... LOL XD
RobertTheDriver chapter 11 . 6/26/2012
Mmmh...A highly intillegent man/alien that occupies a place on the government, who is all about Queen and Country and knows an ex army Doctor...Would that be Mycroft Holmes by any chance ? :-)
Mickanella chapter 10 . 6/25/2012
I was laughing my arse of when I read how Tish answered the phone the second time *grins*

Sad ending to yet a wonderful chapter :'(
PadawannaB chapter 9 . 6/24/2012
I can't even begin to describe my thoughts on this chapter. So many things happened: wonderful, good, funny, terrible and sick things. The joy of Ianto and Jack being reunited is short-lived, the action-packed fight against Mr Gloucester (who, by the way, is described to be so usual it's unusual: the worst tortures often are the ones who look like your neighbour, or a taxi driver) is intense and incredibly exciting, but the true horror is the Rift manipulator.

And Gwen.

The moment Jack decided it's finally the time to tell what's so special about her, my mind went back to the Christmas in Cardiff, with the Doctor and Rose, Charles Dickens and a girl called Gwyneth who saved the world. To think that Gwen might have to make the same sacrifice is tragic, even if there is a chance she'd survive the experience. But when Ianto entered the picture (and trust him to do so, despite probably being shocked for his newfound significance and more than a bit angry at Jack: he's a hero, in a less obvious way)...

'Bastard' is a very accurate description for Jack in this case.

Not only is he risking Gwen and trying to save Ianto - a gesture sort of beautiful, cruel and so shamefully human- he's also been calculating and preparing for this moment ever since they met him; even before that. It's been an experiment, and no matter how much he's grown to love the subjects, it's still cold as ice. This is the Jack that in CoE, in 1969, gave the children away; this is the Jack that conned and cheated and fucked his way in the world before the man in a blue box appeared. It's a side of him that makes me sick to my stomach, and yet makes his character ever more interesting and complex. Immortality is bound to turn men bitter, to give a certain objectiveness to all things mortal, to lock a heart in a cage of stone and throw away the key. It's inhuman, and at the same time it's the most human side of immortality: that's what it does, that's what it turns you into. And Jack's been like that before, back when he was a mortal man. A certain kind of coldness is in his blood: Gray, the wars, the horrors of the Time Agency.

But even with all that background knowledge, this took me by surprise. It's a damn awful, and brilliant turn of events, twist of fates. Even if in later chapters the way Jack's used Ianto and Gwen is justified by it being an unwanted necessity, or softened with the knowledge that he really loves them, or even if it turns out I've over-analyzed this, I still love it. The coldness of it. 'The paired set of weapons'. Terrible.

Can't wait for more, and sorry for the rambling review!
Meridas chapter 9 . 6/22/2012
Aw, felt so bad for Jack thinking that Ianto was just the ghost bracelet... and I loved their reunion. Short like it had to be in the middle of a crisis, but still sweet and totally them. Love Ianto for being sarcastic in the middle of everything...

I also think your solution to the Rift problem was really cool, and I loved the way you described it. Also loved the way the characters dealt with this scenario... I always say it, but your characterization is always so good that it merits saying again. Also loved the nod to the Face of Boe; was that intentional foreshadowing, that repowering the city was his final act, or am I reading too much into it?

Great chapter, all around. Excitement and some happiness and a good dash of personal/world dilemma, and a sort-of cliffhanger. Good job. :)
RhianaStar chapter 9 . 6/21/2012
Reviewing both chapters 7 & 8. 1st loved the how well the characters are all developed... I can picture them as the story progresses. John & Ianto... you have turned an ugly situation into moments of humor. Then you have the moment Jack sees Lois: definitely the dangerous side of Jack came out. Johnson's disquise had me laughing. While Ianto being in the same room with Lisa made me want to cry. But the best of the best I thought was Ianto showing up in the nick of time to help Jack.

Now this whole thing with Gwen & Ianto and the Rift... didn't see that coming... Will have to have a look back to understand the connection with the Witches...
BitterGrace01 chapter 9 . 6/21/2012
I hadn't really thought that the witch story was going to tie back into things so neatly. Nice. I really like a well thought out story. Looking forward to what happens next.
Mickanella chapter 9 . 6/21/2012
Sh*t! I didn't see that coming :o
Meridas chapter 8 . 6/20/2012
This was one of my favorite chapters yet. Okay, I'll take a deep breath and go in order:

Yay for Lois thinking for herself! I really like that she's clever, and that she's finally using that and looking beyond the orders. Props to Tish for making her look.

Johnson's disgiuse made me laugh out loud :D

Jack can be very, very scary and you captured that well when he saw Lois. We saw that bit of him in Countrycide when he threatened to torture that guy; I was genuinely a little scared for Lois here. Jack's been so closed up... anyway. Great job with that, and Gwen would totally do that slightly underhand "he loved you more than this." But I did like how she didn't go all bleeding heart here and just forgive Lois because she didn't know. Again, great characterization.

Mr. Gloucester's point of view was interesting. Good job getting inside the head of a sociopath, there... the whole cult thing just freaks me out. I enjoyed how he reduced everything to numbers, it gave him that distance from people that we needed to see to understand him and his reasoning more.

And finally (deep breath):

YES! Best entrance line EVER! So utterly perfect, so very Ianto and the very best timing in the world. Ha! Yes! That was brilliant!

What a great chapter, all around. Thank you so much :D
Meridas chapter 7 . 6/20/2012
I really liked this chapter, the messed-up time travels of Ianto and John :) Again, I think you've nailed the character dynamic. The interlude with Lisa was touching, and this last bit with the note was enjoyable (I had to read it a few times before I understood what was going on, though.) I liked Ianto's reaction, was well. Jack's in so much trouble for not sending the note... the wife comment was a nice touch, as well :) Solid chapter working toward Ianto and John meeting up with Jack and the gang. Nice.
Quiet Time chapter 8 . 6/20/2012
I think you have captured the very best of Jack in this, yet very true to canon as well. And that last line!
Mickanella chapter 8 . 6/20/2012
Haha, Ianto steps in and saves the day (read Jack..) *grins*
PadawannaB chapter 8 . 6/20/2012
The part with Mr. Gloucester and the numbers (heh, that sounds like a band: Mr. Gloucester & The Numbers :D) was brilliant: it was a story in itself, deep, insightful and cruel.

Aah, it's the Master... Bad. Very bad. I like the way this ties with the DW Series 4 specials, the 'Cult of Saxon' is just so sick. And nice to finally have the pieces falling to place, some clarity as to why all this is happening.

Poor Lois... It's very nice of her to finally come to her senses, but as said, it's too late for apologies. I mean, I pity her, I really do, and I understand why she was so mistaken, but I'm still SO ANGRY! All she can do right now is help, and pray to all deities that no one will kill her.

And what a cliffie! I kept my fingers crossed the entire chapter, hoping Ianto would turn up, and oh yes he did! And with such a one-liner, he puts Horatio Caine to shade.
BitterGrace01 chapter 8 . 6/20/2012
And first prize for best dramatic entrance goes to... *drum roll* ...Ianto Jones! At first I thought Mr. Glouchester was going to wind up being the Master himself, but I couldn't see how that would work. This is much more interesting though. I hope someone goes Rambo on them though. Someone deserves to be shot.
BelladonasMom chapter 8 . 6/20/2012