Reviews for Losing You
Queen of Dorks chapter 7 . 3/18/2014
Wow... I'm not gonna lie.

This was waaaay better than I thought it would be.

You did amazing, holy cow! Setting up this whole thing for the AMA x-over... Just wow. Amazing. I literally got shivers when I read this whole thing; I just couldn't put I down! I've always loved "Corpse Bride" but this... This is just fantastic! The besteverest icing on the cake if there ever was one! Although... When I read the others... I'm hoping Emily will come back as an incarnation of someone... *wink wink nudge nudge* I've always been a fan of VictorxEmily. Anywho, thanks for writing this, it's amazing! ;-)
Whiggity chapter 7 . 12/29/2012
I feel like I've got a better grasp on this story than I expected to have by the time I was done - likely because it takes place entirely within in the CB universe, and it was the crossover portion I was getting nervous about. I should mention beforehand that I have a very pronounced habit of accentuating the negative, but I don't want you to think by any means that this is a bad story. It goes into a lot of depth concerning the realistic reaction an entire community of Puritans would have to the events of the movie as we know it. What bothers me is just... I don't know, the lack of any *warmth* in this world. The movie depicted Victorian England with a gentle sense of parody, as a dreary and repressed place where extraordinary and lovely things (like falling in love) could still happen. This version of the town is absolutely joyless. Everything nice has left the world. Everyone thinks Victor Van Dort is a corpsefucker, his parents hate him, Victoria married someone else and doesn't seem too sorry about it, Emily's gone forever, and in general not a single good thing has happened to this poor guy in months on end. The necrophilia thing is the only real source of humor throughout the story, and as raunchy a person as I am, the way it's constantly mentioned turns me off a little. Maybe bringing it up occasionally as a one-off joke would work, but I don't think the emphasis should be on Victor's assumed sexual perversions (a subject which doesn't really fit the tone of the universe) so much as the fact that everyone thinks he's insane enough to believe dead people can consent to wed.

Before I finished, I didn't really realize that this was more of a setup for the sequel than a story in and of itself. You're establishing the circumstances which lead to Victor being shoved into an orphanage (at 19?) and for that reason, I can understand why the entire fic pretty much just consists of the cliffside crumbling away beneath his feet. I just wish it was a little gentler about it. Victoria's surprisingly happy marriage to a dude 2-3x her age is a bit jarring, but again, I can understand if you have a need to just get her out of the story somehow, and all things considered, this was a much more thoughtful way of doing it than killing her off and having her shack up with Bonejangles like most writers do. So I appreciate the amount of thought and time you've put into collapsing this house of cards. I just wish it wasn't such a happiness vacuum because now I'm depressed and the Nyquil isn't helping.
Whiggity chapter 3 . 12/29/2012
I'm done reading, but before I move on to the story as a whole I wanted to drop a note here concerning chapters two and three. They two combined have a lot of funny moments (and the necrophilia joke is hilarious, if it does go on a bit long), but there is one big problem that they both share, and it's that they spend a huge amount of their length expositing a lot of information that the reader already knows. I appreciate your focus on the emotional and social consequences of the end of the movie, and Victor finally having to explain the whole story to his parents is primed for awkward laughs, but making the reader listen to a stuttering summary of the entire movie that they've already seen is a bit much. If the scenes were pared down with most of the emphasis put on the reactions, and the exposition presented in summary, I think it'd give the chapters more focus.
PlayerPiano chapter 7 . 6/22/2012
I admit, I had to do a quick Google-fascinating cross-over idea! I'm interested to see where you take it in the next installments.

Thanks for a great read. It's really nice to read a well-characterized, original piece of fanfiction.
charlotte chapter 7 . 6/22/2012
Let me start off by saying that I haven't read CB fics in a while, but this one just blew me away.

It was well writen, the characterization was perfect, and the emotions were wonderful.

I feel my heart reaching out to poor Victor. Lost both loves, parents and town think he's crazy... poor guy.

On deviantart I noticed in a comment you said this will have multiple parts. All I can say is that I can't wait to read what Bumby does to Victor. His famous hypnotherapy? ;)
nannyandpotocrazy chapter 7 . 6/21/2012
I got pretty excited when you updated! No one has been updating lately... Anyways, I really liked this chapter. Especially with Nell and William trying to make him "sane" again, even though he still wants Emily. I like the fact that Victoria is with Christopher. Really though, I'm not a fan of Victoria... So please update again soon!
Eli's Daydream chapter 6 . 6/19/2012
This chapter is very sad but still it's very good :')
PlayerPiano chapter 6 . 6/19/2012
More lovely reflections. I like the way you've written Victor here (and in this whole story, actually) with a sort of melancholy romantic side to him.

Can I also say it's just really ridiculously refreshing to see a piece that understands and examines the implications of the end of the movie? I mean really, that seems *really* rare in this fandom, and I love to see it.

I'm really enjoying this, it's so creative and different, and such a nice change!
PlayerPiano chapter 5 . 6/18/2012
I love the emotional honesty of this scene between Victor and Victoria. I think they're both in-character, and the situation makes a lot of sense. Really well-done. :)
no name please chapter 1 . 6/17/2012
My, my, what an interesting tale this is! I love the little timestamps at the beginning of every chapter, and the name Burtonsville made me smile. So simple yet very clever!

As for the story itself, I couldn't find any immediate flaws. However, I am a firm supporter of Victor/Victoria and my heart just about broke when I read chapter 5...I wanted so badly for them to be together! Yet I am happy that Victoria at least married a genuinely nice man. I wholly understood how Victor felt and you portrayed his character exceptionally well here.

I also enjoyed your original take on how the village would have reacted to this. Not many people focus on the religious aspect of the story (however minimal it was) and I love that you had Pastor Galswells crying about demons and hell in the aftermath of the almost-wedding. I felt awful for Victor-even a little angry at times- but at the same time I was fully able to appreciate your originality in this department. Well done indeed!

Although I'm still hoping for a V/V ending, I am eager to see where the story goes regardless of whether Victor ends up with Victoria or Emily, or anyone at all. Overall it was well-written, original, and perfectly in character. I'd rank this story up there with the work of PlayerPiano (if you are unfamiliar with this author, please read their stories. I don't think I'm alone in thinking they are among the best Corpse Bride writers on the site!). Well done, please continue! :)
Eli's Daydream chapter 4 . 6/17/2012
Oh my goodness! Amazing story so far keep going *waits patiently for next chapter*
Eli's Daydream chapter 3 . 6/15/2012
Nicely written dear, you portray the character very well I cannot wait for the next chapter
PlayerPiano chapter 2 . 6/14/2012
I like how you've portrayed Nell and William, as well as the whole awkward Victor explaining himself and the situation bit. Victor's reflections and reactions were good as well. Very nicely done!
Chickenlegs69 chapter 2 . 6/14/2012
Whoa nicely written I could definitely picture this in my head. Keep going I'm very interested, I wonder how this will work out. Nicely done, :)
Chickenlegs69 chapter 1 . 6/13/2012
Interesting. Can't wait for the next chapter :)