Reviews for Losing You
MartyrFan chapter 8 . 6/25
I wonder how many people read this chapter for the first time looked at that name at the end and screeched "Oh hell no!"

After I came across Secundus, I wondered about that world's Dr. Bumby, who apparently just sells sunscreen. Would he be the "brother" of Dr. Angus Bumby? Instead of Bumby, this man was born instead?

How's this sound: Someone in the Secundus universe develops a way to look into and even travel to other universes. Victor and the gang look in on this universe or a variant of it with little difference from it, and they learn about Bumby and his activities...I think getting hit by a train would be preferable to having a bunch of enraged Touched and their Igors come after you.

Just wondering, which chapter was the one you added? Let me guess: Chapter 6.

This was a great start for the "Forgotten Vows" verse. Really like how it hints at what's coming. Nice work!
MartyrFan chapter 7 . 6/25
I would like to point out to Nell Van Dort that the Everglots would likely be forgotten in a hundred years or so. For all the people that think their legacy is going endure for all of human history, I would like to point out the poem "Ozymandias".
MartyrFan chapter 6 . 6/25
Just wondering, but was Christopher originally made for this series, for your "Secundus" fic, for something else, or was he always meant to be Victoria's husband in your Valice fics?
MartyrFan chapter 4 . 6/24
Again, men like Galswells do more bad than good, if any good at all. I remember reading somewhere that some men do more damage with a Bible than they would with a bottle.

I really like the reference to Alice here, along with your depiction of Dr. Wilson. If only the Victorian era had more psychiatrists like him. Not that it helped Victor with his parents.
MartyrFan chapter 3 . 6/24
It doesn't matter what religion, creed, or faith they are-men like Galswells are a menace, a curse to their fellow human beings. They put themselves on pedestals, proclaiming themselves the mouthpieces of their deity, when all they really do is give their religion and beliefs a bad name. If the people of Burtonsville are so easily swayed by him, they truly are sheep.
MartyrFan chapter 2 . 6/24
Too bad that Victor didn't point out that if he hadn't been to the Land of the Dead, how else would he have known about Mayhew's death? For a person to learn of a death before they could possibly know the deceased's new status would be a pretty strong indicator that they had been to the afterlife.
MartyrFan chapter 1 . 6/22
I like how you're getting into Victor's head, giving explanations for his actions and his regrets over some of them. One of a movie's disadvantages is that you can't really get into someone's head like you can with writing. That, and they can't really go into the aftermath.

I'm really stoked that I finally get to properly read, not skim, your works. Have a good one, and happy writing.
Snow Love Peace chapter 1 . 10/21/2016
I think this story is a great corpse bride spin and love it!
VetSgt. Abrams chapter 7 . 3/5/2016
Having been shown this by a good friend of mine, I came in with a bit of mixed feelings. I've read mostly Sci-Fi war novels and others of the same Ilk, I wasnt sure if it'd really interest me.

I'm putting this on the last chapter, for obvious reasons. I wholeheartedly enjoyed reading it in its entirety. I very much look forward to reading the others in this...is Arc a good word?

10/10 would read again
donovandelaney26101 chapter 2 . 6/6/2015
No we'll discuss this now is something Nell would not have said. She also would not have said he's gone made. Victor would have said to his mother when she asked him if anyone can go down to the land of the dead. Nell would not have said that Victor may have to wait a year. Do you always have to make a mess of things and we went through all that and you ruin it by going off with some corpse, is something Nell would not have said.
Queen of Dorks chapter 7 . 3/18/2014
Wow... I'm not gonna lie.

This was waaaay better than I thought it would be.

You did amazing, holy cow! Setting up this whole thing for the AMA x-over... Just wow. Amazing. I literally got shivers when I read this whole thing; I just couldn't put I down! I've always loved "Corpse Bride" but this... This is just fantastic! The besteverest icing on the cake if there ever was one! Although... When I read the others... I'm hoping Emily will come back as an incarnation of someone... *wink wink nudge nudge* I've always been a fan of VictorxEmily. Anywho, thanks for writing this, it's amazing! ;-)
Whiggity chapter 7 . 12/29/2012
I feel like I've got a better grasp on this story than I expected to have by the time I was done - likely because it takes place entirely within in the CB universe, and it was the crossover portion I was getting nervous about. I should mention beforehand that I have a very pronounced habit of accentuating the negative, but I don't want you to think by any means that this is a bad story. It goes into a lot of depth concerning the realistic reaction an entire community of Puritans would have to the events of the movie as we know it. What bothers me is just... I don't know, the lack of any *warmth* in this world. The movie depicted Victorian England with a gentle sense of parody, as a dreary and repressed place where extraordinary and lovely things (like falling in love) could still happen. This version of the town is absolutely joyless. Everything nice has left the world. Everyone thinks Victor Van Dort is a corpsefucker, his parents hate him, Victoria married someone else and doesn't seem too sorry about it, Emily's gone forever, and in general not a single good thing has happened to this poor guy in months on end. The necrophilia thing is the only real source of humor throughout the story, and as raunchy a person as I am, the way it's constantly mentioned turns me off a little. Maybe bringing it up occasionally as a one-off joke would work, but I don't think the emphasis should be on Victor's assumed sexual perversions (a subject which doesn't really fit the tone of the universe) so much as the fact that everyone thinks he's insane enough to believe dead people can consent to wed.

Before I finished, I didn't really realize that this was more of a setup for the sequel than a story in and of itself. You're establishing the circumstances which lead to Victor being shoved into an orphanage (at 19?) and for that reason, I can understand why the entire fic pretty much just consists of the cliffside crumbling away beneath his feet. I just wish it was a little gentler about it. Victoria's surprisingly happy marriage to a dude 2-3x her age is a bit jarring, but again, I can understand if you have a need to just get her out of the story somehow, and all things considered, this was a much more thoughtful way of doing it than killing her off and having her shack up with Bonejangles like most writers do. So I appreciate the amount of thought and time you've put into collapsing this house of cards. I just wish it wasn't such a happiness vacuum because now I'm depressed and the Nyquil isn't helping.
Whiggity chapter 3 . 12/29/2012
I'm done reading, but before I move on to the story as a whole I wanted to drop a note here concerning chapters two and three. They two combined have a lot of funny moments (and the necrophilia joke is hilarious, if it does go on a bit long), but there is one big problem that they both share, and it's that they spend a huge amount of their length expositing a lot of information that the reader already knows. I appreciate your focus on the emotional and social consequences of the end of the movie, and Victor finally having to explain the whole story to his parents is primed for awkward laughs, but making the reader listen to a stuttering summary of the entire movie that they've already seen is a bit much. If the scenes were pared down with most of the emphasis put on the reactions, and the exposition presented in summary, I think it'd give the chapters more focus.
PlayerPiano chapter 7 . 6/22/2012
I admit, I had to do a quick Google-fascinating cross-over idea! I'm interested to see where you take it in the next installments.

Thanks for a great read. It's really nice to read a well-characterized, original piece of fanfiction.
charlotte chapter 7 . 6/22/2012
Let me start off by saying that I haven't read CB fics in a while, but this one just blew me away.

It was well writen, the characterization was perfect, and the emotions were wonderful.

I feel my heart reaching out to poor Victor. Lost both loves, parents and town think he's crazy... poor guy.

On deviantart I noticed in a comment you said this will have multiple parts. All I can say is that I can't wait to read what Bumby does to Victor. His famous hypnotherapy? ;)