Reviews for Knowledge is Useful, But Power is Power
Rohan Bernett chapter 8 . 11/14
I'm not sure what it was about this one, but I spent a large chunk of, if not most of, this story feeling unsettled. Definitely a page-turner, though.
Zathara001 chapter 8 . 10/25
Wow. So, six years after it was posted, I discovered this story, and I'm so glad I did. This is one of the rare stories that compelled me to keep reading, even though the … tone? style? voice? … isn't normally one that I'd be drawn to.

Very well done, I love the ideas related to magic and power and strength and will; they're not something I've seen done much before, if at all, and certainly not in that way.

Thank you for this.
Accio Allsorts chapter 6 . 10/21
You know, I was never much of a Snape fan - in fact I hated him - but after a couple of fanfics which put an excellent spin on him, I've come to rather like those fanfics (this one included) and detest the "Snape is a petty git" fics.
Choirquiet chapter 1 . 10/17
This is an excellent twist on a legalese story. I was very surprised when getting released from his job kills him due to internal conflict. Definitely displays a downside to binding life and magic to too restrictive of oaths. Job prospects in the wiz world are messed up like the muggle world. no college loans is a big upside since they rely heavily on apprenticeships.
I like seeing a redemptive view of Albus. Not him originally planning on abandoning his magical ward to be a martyr. Now I'm curious to see if other characters get written as more sympathetic if still overall villainous. Goblins i imagine are difficult to write as decent/ neutral characters. In the books they come across as overly prideful and eager to harm any human as some kind of revenge against the whole species. I like to the version of them compelled to be scrupulously fair in following the written agreement. Greedy but not rulebreakers. Although that's the bankers. The anarchist goblins stay underground.
Vercalos chapter 8 . 10/10
Wow. This took a weird turn, what with Vanity and Guile...
Zabyne chapter 8 . 10/6
Interesting fic. A unique tale tho I almost feel like I was baited and switched. Powerful God tier Harry turns paranoid kid dodging shadows, so afraid of using his power it becomes pointless.

Would love to see the first half with a different second half. The start was promising and enjoyable that's for sure.

Still a solid 8 outta 10, my complaints aside. Just because I didn't enjoy the twist doesn't mean the twist wasn't well written and somewhat logical.
KnowInsight chapter 8 . 10/6
this is the most unique HP plot I've ever read and I've read a lot. Oaths forcing Albus to do things that make him look naive, manipulative and just down right evil. Weak wizards creating ways to control or bind powerful wizards. a look at why wizard culture is the way it is and the paranoia! Aspects of magic! Thought provoking, compelling and really creepy! Great story!
Daemon Sadi chapter 8 . 9/26
thanks for the story! :)
Loki Firefox chapter 8 . 9/26
I read this a long time ago, around the time that I was inhaling HP fanfiction so I didn't really appreciate it as much as I do now.

The Aspects of magic is a great idea and wonderful antagonist for Harry (although Malfoy and Yaxley were pretty great antagonists, too) and I liked that in the end, it wasn't about Harry being more powerful or learning the secret-all-powerful-ancient/new-unique spell and/or magic item to save the day. He resolved the situation but still maintained that magic is both wonderful and terrifying, which sits so right with me.

But the best part is the oaths. There's another story that also dealt with oaths but I like how this one answers so many questions about Dumbledore's ineffectiveness while holding so many powerful positions, it even works here as an explanation for Snape's behavior.
I'm still wondering what oath Albus broke that made him die.
shit
Ridiculously angst bullshit. What, are you upset you couldn't suck your dads dick? Go fuck off a roof.
fanreader18 chapter 8 . 7/2
Wow.
fanreader18 chapter 6 . 7/2
...Oh no. Waking Magic up was a bad idea.
fanreader18 chapter 5 . 7/2
So... Magic has awoken. I look forward to seeing the results.
1,450 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »