Reviews for Knowledge is Useful, But Power is Power
Cassius E. Whistlewood chapter 8 . 7/24
Excellent story with unique and amazing plot. There aren't too many like this around these parts. I like it. Many kudos for your excellent work.
Hobbyfarmer chapter 8 . 7/8
God story other than Chapter 6 & 7.
Hobbyfarmer chapter 7 . 7/8
You should have took out the House of magic and figured out how to end the story in chpater six. You took a great story and almost destroyed it. It is still OK but only that.
Hobbyfarmer chapter 4 . 7/8
Normally I do not like a super powered Harry, but you have written this so well and transitioned his power so well it makes a GREAT story. Very Impressive. Thank You
Kytigami chapter 8 . 6/22
I really enjoyed this unique story. For some reason I've been reading Harry Potter fan fiction for months and this is the first story of its kind that I've encountered. It started out as a super power Harry fic but then the consequences of his actions caught up. I especially enjoyed the aspects of magic that appeared. I also thought it was very clever to have the wizarding society be corrupt under unbreakable oaths. It would explain a lot of the plot holes in JKs work. I also really enjoyed the ending and was excited that Harry was able to use the over powered pure blood laws against them. And I liked that the ending was a mix of good and bad and not just a cliche happy ending. Huh, thus review was going to be short but I just kept coming up with more and more good things to say. :D
faleoh chapter 8 . 6/15
That was heavy. I feel hungover. And well written. I've never read a HP fic like that before. Well done.
Simianpower chapter 8 . 6/8
Meh. It was a great story until Magic woke up. Then it became really stupid. I really like stories that delve into the deeper mysteries of magic, beyond the "silly wand waving" and to the true fonts of power. It's when those fonts are sentient that things get dumb, whether it be like this or like magic wanting Gary Stu Harry to marry every nubile witch he finds. I feel like this story had a direction that did a 90 degree shift about halfway through. Just like the characters weren't behaving as they should, the second plot felt tacked on. As I said in a prior review, there are some great ideas here (and some really bad ones), but bad storytelling overshadowed them all. And I really *wanted* to like this.
Simianpower chapter 6 . 6/8
Well, the story got a lot better. Then it got worse again. It's very erratic. Characters dialog, even internal dialog, doesn't fit their actions or the emotional responses they should be having. You tell us that someone is scared, but it doesn't feel that way from what they say or do. Snape's reactions make very little sense. Harry's even less. Hermione is all over the place.

This story is all plot, no characterization. There are some great ideas here, but they're chaff on the wind of bad storytelling. You've lost me.
Simianpower chapter 2 . 6/7
Everyone here is acting so out of character that it's tough to be immersed in this story. The dialog doesn't feel true, the motivations come from plot rather than the characters themselves. I'm not buying it. This story came strongly recommended, so I'll give it another chapter or two...
Simianpower chapter 1 . 6/7
If oaths are that powerful, and easy enough that Harry can randomly write one up in ten minutes, and if Voldemort is not a TOTAL moron, then there's absolutely no way that any of canon would have played out as it did. Snape would not be a double agent. Death Eaters would not have ever stopped trying to help Voldemort. And so on. He would have crafted a series of oaths that would have ensured absolute loyalty and fidelity unto death if not beyond. Voldemort would have been resurrected within weeks and Harry would be dead.

Interesting story idea, but you're the victim of your own plot point. If Mcguffin X exists and is uber-powerful and easy, everyone and their cousin would be using it.
Snaggledog chapter 8 . 6/4
This story takes the reader on a pretty wild ride and went in a few directions. It was unique and very imaginative while it shows that you have given the HP world a lot of contemplation. I like how you ended the story (I don't think that any sentence should have been less than 50 years however) and how Harry didn't go back to Hogwarts by finding new directions to focus on.

I enjoyed your story and it was more than the light entertainment that I usually read. Thanks for writing and sharing it with your readers.
Smozzick chapter 8 . 5/24
Very odd story. It was ok but it doesn't really feel like a finished story - you called it a "meditation on power and abuse of power" and it feels more like that really because you created two important plots in your story with the ministry and the magical entities and then didn't really finish either of them. The ending of the ministry fight above felt more like it should be the middle of the story in his fight against the ministry than the end of it.

However you did explore some interesting things which is always nice to see done with the look at vows and sentient magic.
Smozzick chapter 7 . 5/24
Interesting irony here with Harry wanting to put magic to sleep and him not wanting to be controlled by oaths earlier in the story. Here he's basically those "weak" wizards who fear the more powerful ones.
Smozzick chapter 5 . 5/24
The hypocrite is strong in Harry. "I just asked how he could use a technique he hate when applied to himself. He didn't have a good answer."

Meanwhile Harry has taken oaths from how many people in the short period since he learned about them?

I kind of like how this story progresses with seeing his plans unfold but things like how quickly the story started and changed his character bring it down a bit.
Smozzick chapter 1 . 5/24
So Harry becomes a bully who looks down on the weak. Yay /

Also the bit were the aurors try to kill him was a bit out of nowhere.

And on another note the idea that that was a duel seems ridiculous.

The idea with the binding oaths is good but parts are making me struggle with suspension of disbelief.
1,279 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »