Reviews for Knowledge is Useful, But Power is Power
Simianpower chapter 1 . 6/7/2015
If oaths are that powerful, and easy enough that Harry can randomly write one up in ten minutes, and if Voldemort is not a TOTAL moron, then there's absolutely no way that any of canon would have played out as it did. Snape would not be a double agent. Death Eaters would not have ever stopped trying to help Voldemort. And so on. He would have crafted a series of oaths that would have ensured absolute loyalty and fidelity unto death if not beyond. Voldemort would have been resurrected within weeks and Harry would be dead.

Interesting story idea, but you're the victim of your own plot point. If Mcguffin X exists and is uber-powerful and easy, everyone and their cousin would be using it.
Snaggledog chapter 8 . 6/4/2015
This story takes the reader on a pretty wild ride and went in a few directions. It was unique and very imaginative while it shows that you have given the HP world a lot of contemplation. I like how you ended the story (I don't think that any sentence should have been less than 50 years however) and how Harry didn't go back to Hogwarts by finding new directions to focus on.

I enjoyed your story and it was more than the light entertainment that I usually read. Thanks for writing and sharing it with your readers.
Smozzick chapter 8 . 5/24/2015
Very odd story. It was ok but it doesn't really feel like a finished story - you called it a "meditation on power and abuse of power" and it feels more like that really because you created two important plots in your story with the ministry and the magical entities and then didn't really finish either of them. The ending of the ministry fight above felt more like it should be the middle of the story in his fight against the ministry than the end of it.

However you did explore some interesting things which is always nice to see done with the look at vows and sentient magic.
Smozzick chapter 7 . 5/24/2015
Interesting irony here with Harry wanting to put magic to sleep and him not wanting to be controlled by oaths earlier in the story. Here he's basically those "weak" wizards who fear the more powerful ones.
Smozzick chapter 5 . 5/24/2015
The hypocrite is strong in Harry. "I just asked how he could use a technique he hate when applied to himself. He didn't have a good answer."

Meanwhile Harry has taken oaths from how many people in the short period since he learned about them?

I kind of like how this story progresses with seeing his plans unfold but things like how quickly the story started and changed his character bring it down a bit.
Smozzick chapter 1 . 5/24/2015
So Harry becomes a bully who looks down on the weak. Yay /

Also the bit were the aurors try to kill him was a bit out of nowhere.

And on another note the idea that that was a duel seems ridiculous.

The idea with the binding oaths is good but parts are making me struggle with suspension of disbelief.
Fyreheart chapter 8 . 4/29/2015
Thank you for writing this story and sharing it with us. It was creative, intriguing, enthralling, and very disturbing. The layers upon layers of oaths, the basic enslavement of people, makes me shudder at my very core. The aspects of magic was a new concept, or at least one I hadn’t seen before, that was also very unsettling. The “vain” aspect had no problem with subjugating others and forcing its will to be done. The lack of choice in both situations - a life without free-will - is appalling.

This was an imaginative story, filled with treachery and deceit, lost knowledge, and a struggle to follow one’s own path with danger on all sides. Congratulations!
lenanR chapter 8 . 4/27/2015
One of the most original fics. Thank you.
IceRogueWarrior chapter 8 . 4/26/2015
Wow. Just wow. That was amazing. I absolutetly loved this story Good job.
jfcwtfusernames chapter 5 . 4/6/2015
I don't want to keep reading for fear the story might become less perfect.
Shaunee Altman chapter 8 . 4/3/2015
This story... I just don't have words. But it's great.
Thanks for writing!
lemon-rind chapter 8 . 3/31/2015
Well done. Thank you for this. It was a slow start, but it would explain so much of the Ministry and Wizarding Society.
thebetawholived chapter 8 . 3/29/2015
After a trip deeply into metaphysics, this ended with a new, temporary balance between the morass of the wizarding world and the needs, wit, and power of magic users.

I wish there were a sequel in the works, but I have the feeling that it is not to be. Good, creative work! Thanks for sharing it.
thebetawholived chapter 5 . 3/29/2015
Oh dear. We stepped off the edge of the Potterverse with the crystal and the crabapple tree . . . now, we're plunging into an alternate universe, probably over our heads.

I hope something massive and unpleasant happens to the oath-crafters. Soon.

And I still hope that Yaxley has a fun-filled day in the dental chair!
thebetawholived chapter 4 . 3/29/2015
I can't wait to read about the tower - love it!

It would be nice for Yaxley to find himself in a dentist's chair, for a protracted stay.

Without novocaine.