Reviews for Knowledge is Useful, But Power is Power
Guest chapter 8 . 10/5/2014
I couldn't put this down and had to read through all of it in one night! A very, very enjoyable and fascinating fanfic taking up JK Rowling's challenge to society's passive acceptance of the rules instilled by governments and schools. I always love explorations of power - in this case, magic as a literal form of power, status, and dishonesty. I would like to hear what this author thinks on other forms of power, such as deep respect, or sexual desire. This Harry is certainly less likable than his canon self, trading his innocence for ruthlessness, and this resonates with my own life: I often feel that, in order to cast off the naive victim and gain agency, I have to become the 'righteous' perpetrator and by doing so corrupt myself. It doesn't sit well with me.
PapaMidNite chapter 8 . 9/23/2014
Great as always. I like the interesting take on magic. I started this a long time ago and finally finished. Great Job!

pm
GBTtown chapter 8 . 9/21/2014
Great story the third time through.
LaureaDaphne chapter 2 . 9/14/2014
I think I'm taking back my previous comment on chapter 1. This story became a lot less interesting without Hermione being part of it. I'm no H/Hr shipper, so it isn't that. You've already ditched Ron and now Hermione is gone, and that just makes it Harry running around by himself. I personally think there is nothing less interesting than a story about Harry with none of his friends. Sorry! Just wanted to let you know the thing you did that made me check out without even completing the chapter. :/
LaureaDaphne chapter 1 . 9/14/2014
This is an interesting premise, and I like the amount of thought you've put into it. It puts a cool new twist on how events should be interpreted. However, there's something pretty creepy about the idea that powerful wizards should just do whatever they like with no restraint - governments aren't the weak restraining the strong, they're the average people preventing the lucky few from running roughshod over everyone else. It would've worked better if you'd presented this as something with its roots in a positive thing that had only later been corrupted. Also, Harry seemed to jump to being 100% anti-Ministry extremely fast - people don't change their minds that thoroughly without some kind of event triggering it. Still, on balance, this is a good story, and I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it!
Kielyn chapter 7 . 9/8/2014
This is an amazing story. Slightly 1984ish.
I loved the mystery in this and that Harry learnt more about magic. It was great some of his questions were answered with the possibility of more resolution as he got older.
PBSCStudent chapter 8 . 8/31/2014
I really liked this chapter. You showed how hard it is or would be to change the magical world. With their long lifespans they would keep tradition going on forever. Bravo for this fiction, I really enjoyed it. Keep up the good work.
PBSCStudent chapter 5 . 8/31/2014
I really like the way you make magic itself become sentient. It's almost like fictions where it happens to Hogwarts. Nicely done.
Gyhy chapter 8 . 8/14/2014
It feels like it needs an epilogue. A time skip of some sort, to look at what Harry managed to accomplish. Did he succeed in re-establishing the House of Potter? Did his descendants uphold the contract he made with the House of Magic. What did he learn/accomplish during his travels? And finally did he and Hermione hook up?

Also it would've been kinda cool if he established a residence in the territory controlled by Vanity, where he could practice to his heart's content and not have to worry about awakening another aspects seeing as one already controlled the area.
Critic chapter 7 . 8/12/2014
Started off good, but it got too technical and just boring with the Magic manifesting itself into a person part. Harry went from having demands to a total change in personality to fight some poorly-defined and boring deus ex machina. Sorry, but you lost my interest at chapter 5. It's clear you didn't think the writing through past chapter 4.

4/10.
yendenikhil1 chapter 8 . 8/12/2014
Bleak but amazing story. Good one.

Nikhil
jon reeve chapter 8 . 8/6/2014
Yes, it did not end as well as it began, but it was still good.
Araytigre chapter 8 . 8/2/2014
This was fun, no 'ship (drat! lol), but there was the possibility of one forming ("Harmony") later. This may have been a somewhat Super Harry fic, but at least it wasn't one of those that had him being SUPER, here he just so happened to be the strongest one around at the moment, which is good. It might have been fun to have a glimpse of what things might have been say 5-10 years down the line (or longer), if only to see where Harry, Sirius, and maybe Hermione were at that time (and any Sprog's as Sirius would say). I agree with Hermione, Harry IS getting smarter, and he has also learned a major lesson on what NOT to do concerning any major Magic's. It might also been fun to see some of the places that Sirius would (and we Know he would have) taken Harry for his "Education", much to Harry's chagrin and embarrassment. As with Harry's thought, one would have thought that with Yaxley's self-perceived Power and influence that he would get his Teeth fixed, particularly as an Ministry Official. Thank You. TTFN
Osmodious chapter 5 . 7/26/2014
This has been a very interesting story, with a very fun Harry...I like the introspection. The theories on magic (or should I say Magic?) have been very thought provoking as well. This personification though has me a bit concerned...I like the idea of magic as an...entity, I guess...but am wary of it having an outright personality. I guess I'll see where you go with this, well, obviously, but am hoping there aren't competing magical 'personalities'...essentially gods without that moniker. Anyway, cool story overall, thanks for posting it!
teedub chapter 8 . 7/19/2014
This was a very enjoyable read. Though it's screaming for a sequel, it's also a very well done stand alone. I very much enjoyed your meditation on the power and abuse of power. I'm curious as all get out on the exact oath DD made Snape take.
1,237 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »