Reviews for Knowledge is Useful, But Power is Power
David M. Potter chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
Great hater! Thanks.
K chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
This story begun as a excellent take of an old formula : powerful Harry ready to reform the Magical World. This particular scenario have much to offer when it's well executed, the rare fics that manages it are quite popular and shine brightly among the lesser - and numerous- representation of this story-line.

What we have now, as of two chapters ago, is something quite original - in the fandom- and I would say charming by the feeling the ideas of wild, sentient magic add to the setting : intensity. In spite of the magic of the Harry Potter world, magic itself seem quite "mundane" for the lack of a better world, simply because its use lack a certain scope and "flair". The presentation of magic is to blame, after all apparition, portkeys and animagi are quite fantastic things, as oaths are, but their greatness, the wonder that they is never really showcased.

That's why many fics add to the magic of the setting or to its representation, some of the more well written give it a proper "epic" feel, but that generally pass by an increase of the arsenal at the disposition of the wizard, from summoning, to battle spells, passing by true divination, runes ect.
Here you chose to go another way : with an other description of magic, more paranormal and supernatural, more often found in Stephen King type of stories and Dark Fantasy than in the more "conventional" Heroic fantasy stories.

It won't please everyone, but it's certainly a well done exercise.
sparky40sw chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
This is such an intricately worked out world, and the concept of self aware, sentient and NOT benign magic, makes this feel a lot like bargaining with deamons.

thanks for sharing
I have already purchased your book, but have not finished it yet - so far I am enjoying it a great deal
jdboss1 chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
gggg
Nebresh chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
In between, I wasn't sure if I liked that, but you managed to close up all the strings you threw us. Great!
BajaB chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
Makes me wonder how many other aspects of magic are around, if all these oaths and suppression have been making the wizarding world weaker and dumber, and what those aspects may be doing...

Good stuff.
FateBurn chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
Great chapter like always.
Slytherin66 chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
A deep yet interesting chapter.

A good line “If you pretend I'm not rash, I'll pretend you don't have your moments, alright?"

Greater magic’s is such an interesting term and a good way to describe magic as it would be fickle the more complex the magic you attempt I think.

A great way to explain magic I like that “Magic is all art, not a lick of science” the location where magic is done is a detail I have never given any thought to before lay lines, thanks for that.

Magic did a good job with Sirius he needs to mature for his sake and Harry’s.

A good possible explanation for the reduced curiosity of most magical people and to bring up that both Sirius and Harry were not taught about being family head.

Family retainer a much better term for Kreacher than servant, elf or slave.

The Black family is full of surprises. I did not expect a being of magic but it does explain much and why the Black family are so powerful, formidable and that their pride has merit.

I am pleased Harry has a solution to his first problem and that he will need to ensure his family prospers in order to do what is required of him and his family.

I look forward to the next chapter.
Random number generator chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
"Go figure" - "Go figure."

Hm, I wonder why they failed to consider asking for Hermione's help in combing the library.
keichan2 chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
“Harry just didn't believe it could be a house elf.” Argh… I can’t remember… I *think* you spoke about the elves, before, but can’t remember exactly what it was about…

“like darker versions of Grimm's” Well… if I remember correctly, most “Children Tales” as we call them today were certainly NOT for children, originally (it is not with a kiss that the Charming Prince woke the Sleeping Beauty…) but were “sweetened” later to make them acceptable for children…

“But you can tell me how to get inside the wards” Why do I get the feeling that they are about to awaken another aspect of magic? I just hope it isn’t the aspect that gave the Black family their name…

“This felt ten times more magical than Hogwarts or even the House of Magic.” Oh? Was one aspect of magic separated from the rest? As in: There are more than one aspect there?

I have to say I’ve never read about this concept you use for magic! This is a very nice idea, placing the need for respect in magic… Harry was just unlucky with which aspect he woke up…

Thanks for the new chapter!
I hope to read more soon!
Reishin Amara chapter 7 . 6/27/2013
i figured she was a tad immature...this explains why.
Winoniel chapter 7 . 6/26/2013
This was such a powerful chapter! I am in awe of the Black family magic, and its control over itself. I found its explanations plausible and fascinating, but couldn't shake the feeling of dread over what new challenge it would present for Harry.

Poor Harry, he just can't seem to catch a break!
DeleteMe00000 chapter 7 . 6/26/2013
To be honest, like a few people have already stated I've become increasingly disappointed with how this story has turned out. What has the last two chapters (especially this last) have in common with the first few chapters - nothing.

You have turned a story about Harry learning (and then beginning to fight) the corrupt aspects of the magical world into some bizarre take on a sentient magic which has multiple personality disorder.

The first 4-5 chapters were brilliant, but chapters 6 and 7 (and the third quarter of chapter 5) is like reading a completely new story with next to nothing in common with the original plot-line. A new story which frankly, isn't worth the time reading.

So for me at least, I will happily re-read the first four chapters of this story someday and delude myself into thinking it was abandoned then.
Shannon Dee chapter 7 . 6/26/2013
Another wonderful chapter.
FreelanceBum chapter 7 . 6/26/2013
Aspect of magic eh, still loving this.
1,339 | « Prev Page 1 .. 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 .. Last Next »