Reviews for Knowledge is Useful, But Power is Power
Critic chapter 7 . 8/12/2014
Started off good, but it got too technical and just boring with the Magic manifesting itself into a person part. Harry went from having demands to a total change in personality to fight some poorly-defined and boring deus ex machina. Sorry, but you lost my interest at chapter 5. It's clear you didn't think the writing through past chapter 4.

4/10.
yendenikhil1 chapter 8 . 8/12/2014
Bleak but amazing story. Good one.

Nikhil
jon reeve chapter 8 . 8/6/2014
Yes, it did not end as well as it began, but it was still good.
Araytigre chapter 8 . 8/2/2014
This was fun, no 'ship (drat! lol), but there was the possibility of one forming ("Harmony") later. This may have been a somewhat Super Harry fic, but at least it wasn't one of those that had him being SUPER, here he just so happened to be the strongest one around at the moment, which is good. It might have been fun to have a glimpse of what things might have been say 5-10 years down the line (or longer), if only to see where Harry, Sirius, and maybe Hermione were at that time (and any Sprog's as Sirius would say). I agree with Hermione, Harry IS getting smarter, and he has also learned a major lesson on what NOT to do concerning any major Magic's. It might also been fun to see some of the places that Sirius would (and we Know he would have) taken Harry for his "Education", much to Harry's chagrin and embarrassment. As with Harry's thought, one would have thought that with Yaxley's self-perceived Power and influence that he would get his Teeth fixed, particularly as an Ministry Official. Thank You. TTFN
Osmodious chapter 5 . 7/26/2014
This has been a very interesting story, with a very fun Harry...I like the introspection. The theories on magic (or should I say Magic?) have been very thought provoking as well. This personification though has me a bit concerned...I like the idea of magic as an...entity, I guess...but am wary of it having an outright personality. I guess I'll see where you go with this, well, obviously, but am hoping there aren't competing magical 'personalities'...essentially gods without that moniker. Anyway, cool story overall, thanks for posting it!
teedub chapter 8 . 7/19/2014
This was a very enjoyable read. Though it's screaming for a sequel, it's also a very well done stand alone. I very much enjoyed your meditation on the power and abuse of power. I'm curious as all get out on the exact oath DD made Snape take.
Hedonicon chapter 8 . 7/11/2014
I really enjoyed the first and last bits, but the Crystal Tower stuff was lacking in my opinion. I really liked the idea of sentient magic, but what got me initially invested in the story was an exploration of a broken society and intrigue, and it seemed to veer off somewhere completely different. If the intrigue had been kept, and the sentient magic handled a bit differently, and more challenges for protagonists (of lower but slowly increasing power, rather than the swift ascent to superwizard) and no crystal tower, I would have favorited and rec'd this. As it is, the writing is good, it starts and ends strong, but the middle - while unique - seems out of place, and just wasn't my cup of tea.
Luna's Meow chapter 8 . 7/1/2014
Very good work through to the end. Especially liking your idea of Magic being alive and having avatars. Not the first time I've seen it, but I've seen it so rarely that I'd forgotten I'd ever read it before until now. Definitely never seen it in a fanfiction before, only published works. Extremely well done. I hope you write more.
Luna's Meow chapter 4 . 7/1/2014
Nothing but awesomeness so far other than what I pointed out before. Excellent work.
Luna's Meow chapter 2 . 7/1/2014
Every fannon writer in this fandom talks about inbreeding among the purebloods. And yet none of you know anything about it.

Have you ever bred anything? Dogs, horses, whatever? Professionally I mean. Several generations of the creature. Because inbreeding isn't as easy as you people seem to think.

1. First of all, even if two identical twins have children together, the chance of actual problems caused by "inbreeding" is very low. It takes inbreeding over several generations to get the chance up very high.

2. There is a *reason* the purebloods are knowledgeable about their family lines. It's not all about being proud of their ancestors (which they should be if they did things of import). It's also about knowing how closely related you are to the other purebloods so you *don't* cause inbreeding. They know how far away you need to be related to be safe. It's been known for a very long time.

3. If they ever *do* actually become so closely inter-related that they don't have anyone far enough apart to marry without causing inbreeding, there is a very simple solution. Marry some other pureblooded family outside of Britain. Where do you think the Patil twins came from? They are very obviously indian. Why? To bring some fresh blood in, to stop the inbreeding. Magical families aren't like muggle ones. They didn't just decide to immigrate to Britain. They came for a reason.

Basically, you have a story called "Common Sense" in your profile. Use it. Stop following idiot fannon, and think for yourself. There are reasons for everything. Also, why this stupidity about purebloodedness not mattering? Of course it matters. Magic is genetic like anything else. Do you want to be magical, live to be 180 and watch your 80 year old child wither and die before your eyes because you were selfish and married a muggleborn, so your child was born a muggle, as a throwback to his muggle grandparent? Or watch as half your children age and die while the other half live like you do? Watch as half your children have to live in jealousy as the other half have magic, long life, and all the things the muggle half can never have? Breeding is important. This nonsense about it not mattering is stupidness that the author wrote because she knows nothing of genetics, or breeding. Humans are no different than animals in these subjects.

I know I came very confrontational in this review, but that's because I expected better. Especially from an author who (again) has a story called "Common Sense". Everything else I've read so far is great, excellent even, but to have so much right, then to fail so obviously...

Your writing as whole is very good though. Good characterization, good explanations for the things you've changed. You make it believable. Most people change things, and it's a jarring change because they can't write well. You write very well, just need to pay more attention to the details of what you're writing about.
Mighty Pen 20 chapter 8 . 6/25/2014
Good job man, I liked your story. You know, ever since I first read about the oaths in the HP books, i kept wondering: if the oaths were that absolute, how come the wizarding society does not make extensive use of them to solve their various issues? There are two answers: either we decide that in our story magical oaths are not that powerful, and they can be circumvented somehow, thus they are not employed on a big scale; or, massive abuse happens, because that is the way human nature ticks. You went with the latter and explained it very nicely. This story is probably unique on that aspect.

Reading about Harry' s ascent to power and the traps that too much of it leads to was very interesting. However, I would like to add that the part of the awakening aspects of magic felt a bit prolonged, and more like a side story that the main plot could do without. Dunno if you initially intended Magic to play such a big role, i just get the feeling that you did not, and changed your mind while writing the fic.
Mighty Pen 20 chapter 1 . 6/24/2014
Great beginning. Your story' s premise makes it quite different than most of the stuff I have read. Dumbledore' s actions are explained in a very nice way, other than the usual, ' but i have been simply testing you my boy ' , or the ' captain manipulation ' angle that we see in most fics.

If i had a complaint, it would be that while very well written, the story feels a bit dry when you read it. I suspect that is partly due to the fact that there are huge scene skips, and there are parts where some dialogue is really missing.
Weretiger Marduk chapter 8 . 6/21/2014
Very nice story. Loved the shadowy nature of it.
Shadowdude333 chapter 8 . 6/12/2014
I loved it.
Elim Garak chapter 1 . 6/3/2014
OK, you are building a weird structure in an attempt to explain away Dumbles' idiocy, but that structure falls apart once you think about it.

For example, the basilisk - was there an oath that prevented him from revealing its existence, closing the school, or just killing the thing on his own? From protecting his charges? From hiring goblin hunters to come into the castle and find the snake?

Was there an oath that protected the junior DE's in the school? Or is that part of the AU here?

What about indirectly starting an innocence campaign for Sirius? A few whispers in somebody's ear (directly or indirectly) and people would know that there was no trial. With some preserved memories sent to Bones, Sirius could be free in a month.

How about musing to Harry that if he were to speak to a newspaper, then Riddle's secret identity may do a lot of good? Or sending somebody else to hung for the horcruxes? For example, have Moody accidentally find a theoretical paper on the existence of soul containers?

No, it doesn't work. There are too many inconsistencies with this attempt to rationalize Dumbles' behavior.
1,243 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »