Reviews for Reverse Migrations
DancingFireStar chapter 4 . 2/20/2013
Cute story :) hope there's more soon!
shiznat1234 chapter 4 . 9/2/2012
Awesome chapter! Looking forward to thwarted next one!
shiznat1234 chapter 1 . 9/1/2012
I really like the first chapter! Can't wait to read the others! Hope you are planning to continue this story! It has so much potential :)
oOYuuOo chapter 4 . 8/24/2012
Shizuru doing gardening is kinda hilarious. Can't imagine. xD

Thank you for the next chapter! Looking forward for the next chapter :3
They-Call-Me-Orange chapter 4 . 8/23/2012
Gosh, I really love this style. I feel like each segment leans a little to heavily on the next to be a proper vignette, but the brief, graceful nature of each scene keeps the read brisk and engaging, even here in a chapter of considerable length.

The characterization is wonderful as well. I kind of struggle to see Shizuru really ever stepping out of the roles imposed on her by family and society - I tend to view her as the kind of character that would just continually except these burdens and live in abject misery, becoming colder and more bitter until she's entirely unfeeling, or until she snaps. BUT, this is really a much happier outcome than that, and much more interesting (and less depressing) to read. I like that despite firmly resolving not to make plans and to live freely, she still occasionally struggles with the ingrained desire to meet these high expectations, and to be very precise in her actions. Also, a detail I really loved was the dark turn of Shizuru's thoughts when regarding Natsuki for the first time. It kind of shows how the pressure she felt in her "old" life was already beginning to breed that coldness and cruelty in her. This stranger whom she's never met does her a kindness and her first instincts are condescension (however goodnatured) and outright sociopathic viciousness. That moment was downright worrying - and rightly so. I like stories where Shizuru gets to be the good guy - gets be "normal" even. But it's an all too common folly of ShizNat fic writers to ignore the character's darker sensibilities and impulses.

However, the focus of this fiction isn't teasing out and examining the depths of Shizuru's unhealthy tendencies and propensity for barbarism. Which is great, because, oh man, sometimes I just want to read a couple thousand words of cute character dynamics and gardening.

I'd like to see a bit more of Natsuki's perspective in upcoming chapters, if your muse allows. I understand that there are just some characters and some experiences we're more driven to write about than others. Still, I've found the comparatively brief glimpses of Natsuki's POV to be really interesting and engaging. They provide a nice contrast with Shizuru's vaguely detached personality.

I also really enjoy Midori as the loveable lush and Sakomizu's appearance as a totalitarian garden despot.

This would probably make a great place to end this review, but I just had some more thoughts about Shizuru's character, so here's just a further bit of rambling.

If I had to describe Shizuru's character here in one word it would be "wandering." Not a particularly shocking revelation, I'm sure, as this is a story about a woman who wanders out of her old life and into something new. But it's a really fitting description particularly with the connotations of the word - a little lost, a little aimless, mostly unconcerned and fairly passive. Most of the time, she's just a lens. Things happen around her, and she observes them, and she ruminates on them - but she's mostly absent from the action. This story isn't about any of the things she's DONE yet. She's sick of doing, you made that much clear. She's STOPPED doing what's expected of her. She drifted into Natsuki's life and she... well, that's kind of it. She's building this relationship now, but all the pieces are just sort of falling together naturally. Natsuki is the one that took her in. Natsuki is the one that made her stay. Shizuru's being really passive, just kind of along for the ride, and even though she has designs on repaying Natsuki's kindness somehow - well, she hasn't made any plans. Initially, she brought herself to ruin by living a life too structured, too unyielding, and now it seems like the biggest risk to her is falling into a life of malaise and apathy. Maybe she's scared of turning back into the person she was before, of finding herself in that trap again. But jeez! Hopefully by the end of this, she'll have found a happy medium.

WELP. That's a lot of feelings for one review. I hope this wasn't too tedious or incoherent. I'm eagerly awaiting the next update, this story is really lovely.

-Orange
Monkey Blues chapter 4 . 8/19/2012
Heh, I just love your Shizuru when she's not in her, er, right mind. Totally hilarious. And I dont know if anyone else have mentioned it or not, but just some misspelling, it's 'omiai' not 'omai'.

As usual, waiting eagerly for the next chapter!
PostoronnimV chapter 4 . 8/12/2012
Wow, thank you for this truly superb chapter!

- The girl with a heart of gold and a head full of straw... Someone like Natsuki can't possibly understand... Natsuki is something beautiful... and etc. - It is really interesting to read how Shizuru thinks of and assesses Natsuki... she thinks very highly of her, but at the same time not quite highly...and in both cases she thinks with fondness))

I've already said it, but I repeat once more... I absolutely adore the interaction of Natsuki and Shizuru with each other in your story)))... And -"I'm afraid it's too late for that."..."I've already thought up a haiku"... "Save it for later. I can't take you seriously when you're dressed up as an italian plumber."- this scene made me Lol really hard!

Anyway, thanks again for this amazing chapter and I look forward to the next one!))
Honulicious chapter 4 . 8/12/2012
Oh it's been a while. I like all ur word plays. Natsuki is pretty educated here. He he shiz is funny.

update again soon.
HolyHogMonkey chapter 4 . 8/12/2012
I love your style and use of idioms, and your headers for each chapter are pretty thought-provoking. It's nice to read a story set away from the bustle of the city. A cute story so far, can't wait for more!
So call me maybe chapter 4 . 8/12/2012
Too lazy to login. Good thing I checked the ShizNat fics and eventually found this fic. I like it. Good sentence structures.

By the way, arranged marriage in Nihongo is omiai. I think I've read omai.
Platina GF chapter 4 . 8/11/2012
wow, such an amazing chapter! thanks for the update:)
RunawayWolf88 chapter 4 . 8/11/2012
It's very interesting, natural in flow and almost philosophical in the way you have Shizuru thinking. And you are keeping the characters' in, well, character! I'm in suspense with how you'll continue the story and it's direction, and I hope you keep writing! Thank you so much for posting!
Nykonyx chapter 4 . 8/11/2012
Glad I spied this on the "recently updated" page for Mai HiME.
Your story has really good flow, and not to mention, a witty tone to it.
Just my type of story. :)

Although you claim that to some people, your story can be seen as slow and perhaps even boring, as a feverish Shizuru has noted, it's all about perspective. I'd say, this story is very intriguing in its own steady way.

:) Hope you update soon. I really enjoyed the first 4 chapters.
nomask chapter 4 . 8/11/2012
Really nice story. I like how Shizuru and Natsuki seem to stay in-character for the whole time. Their relationship is growing naturally. And I enjoy their interactions, be it gardening in summer heat and not some romantic settings. Please, go on.
WizardHat chapter 4 . 8/11/2012
I really love your version of Shizuru in this story! She's got a very interesting personality and just seems to be so real. Although this chapter is a bit confusing, didn't the previous one end with Natsuki driving Shizuru away on her Ducati and they came back with the truck? And in this chapter Shizuru left on her own and Natsuki had to find her with her truck. What's going on? Did i miss something?
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »