Reviews for Candlesticks and Herbs
I was sick of the sword analogy too! Your take on it was quite refreshing.
Louey06 chapter 1 . 3/20/2015
This was reallt nice. I liked seeng the two of them really talk for once. Very nice.
Solar07 chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
Just read this and I really loved it. Nicely done with the new analogy, and this scene was way better than the one the directors on tv threw together. Clap clap!
Murphy AT chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
Yes, thank you! I was getting tired of it. Unfortunately, people use it because it works (Arthur is kind of block-headed and needs an analogy he can relate to); however, I think the herb analogy is better.
Superbly done! All in character, hilarious, and poignant. Brava!
Guest chapter 1 . 6/30/2012
Great work oh and I can't remember what it's called but I read one story where magic is like a pin!
GeoffreyF chapter 1 . 6/27/2012
Wow, this is really good. I love your Merlin-Arthur banter, and the subtext underneath everything each one said. I thought it was interesting how much of Arthur's Merlin saw through, actually, and quite telling, given the imbalance in their relationship lately. (I didn't like 4x10 particularly, except for the speech scene, and I think this does address some of the episode's key weaknesses, of which the seriously off Merlin-Arthur dynamic was the key.) What I liked best, though, was your style, which is beautiful: nicely literary without being too formal (because this is Merlin, after all), a balance I find very few people manage to strike. You've pretty much hit the bullseye, as far as I'm concerned. Very, very well written, and I hope you write more.
JoyfulWhispersInternet chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
This definitely worked for me...in the fact that it was awesome! I seriously loved it, and I totally agree with you about the whole Gwen thing.
finn1013 chapter 1 . 6/18/2012
That was a lovely fic, and the episode itself was quite a pivotal moment in the show too, I'm kind of surprised they didn't make more of it than they did. Err ... the guillotine ... now if you could get that analogy to work in a positive way it would be very funny. :D
ArodieltheElfofRohan chapter 1 . 6/15/2012
This was great! This part made me laugh: [Herbs. Well, who would've thought! He wanted to hug the herbs. He wanted to hug Arthur, but somehow he doubted it'd be appreciated.] xD

And I liked the new analogies you came up with. :) Nice job!
zechirator chapter 1 . 6/15/2012
I like the fic :) And in your author's note you called Arthur and Merlin "emotionally constipated"... that is probably the most apt description I've seen. :P
Thomson chapter 1 . 6/15/2012
Very nice!
Leonarema chapter 1 . 6/15/2012
Your story is a great mixture of friendship, humour and wisdom! Oh yeah, and it adresses a few subjects I would have liked to have seen on the show. I mean, does Arthur make it official that he will not persecute the druids any more? That is tantamount to accepting magic. And as much as I love the show, they really should address Elyan's and Gwen's relationship sometimes. At least they mentioned it in the episode, but still...

I will stop rambling now. Thank you for a fantastic story!
Minch chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
I've always thought of magic as being like a flame:

-Merlin picks up a torch, Arthur pales at the thought of Merlin handling a torch-

If I were to throw this at that curtain on the wall, it would start a fire that would burn the room up. But if I were to throw it into the hearth, it would start a fire that would warm the room up.

-Merlin puts the torch back, Arthur relaxes-

Magic is like that. It has the power to harm and to heal; it all depends on the person wielding the magic and the choices they make.

Herbs work for an analogy, too. And candlesticks that fall on your head!
Abject Tears chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
Aww boys! Loved this! I agree about 4x10, I wanted FEELINGS after the shrine scene and what I got was marauding boys, not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Yup, really enjoyed it. And hahaha I see your point about magic-is-a-sword!
Yuki082 chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
this was lovely.

first off, the thinking window. brilliant.

second, i kinda totally agree about the sword line. its like the whole i-cant-help-being-a-sorcerer-just-like-you-cant-help-being-a-prince. i mean they're accurate and nice occasionally but get old real fast.

so, thanks for the laughs and know that your originality did not go unnoticed.

and the candlesticks should be dropped. id laugh my butt off.

oh and i could totally see that being used in a little reveal drabble.

*merlin's magic gets revealed and arthur stares openmouther at merlin*

merlin- candlesticks? *awkward laugh*

arthur- MERLINNNNN

anyway what im trying to say is

thanks for writing