Reviews for The Gambler
MaryRoseEllen chapter 9 . 8/1
Wow, this was a truly great story. I love how it began and ended with "The Gambler", while in between we had the parallel stories of Matt and Kitty trying to figure out what was most important to each of them. You also captured the relationship that Doc had with each of them very well. Thank you for a most enjoyable read.
GunShy1 chapter 9 . 4/29
I loved this story. It was so angsty. Poor dejected Matt leaving to shoulder his responsibilities while constantly ruminating over the sad truth that Kitty had thrown him out, told him not to come back, and let him know that she would be gone when he returned. I loved how you portrayed his stunted interactions with the people of Dodge, most notably Doc and Chester. Matt excelled at being stubborn and even though everyone knew he was miserable with Kitty gone, he persisted in his sad charade of the stoic marshal accepting the fate he deserved and dedicated to his work while simultaneously driving Chester to the periphery of his life and conscientiously avoiding all contact with Doc. He was a melancholy marshal leading a shadow life. And you could feel him withdrawing from human contact. Yet, you let us in on the secret that his heart knew, even if his mind lost faith, that he and Kitty were connected by bonds that even his neglect would not tear asunder. I loved how you gave us a peek at that with this statement: "Doc, I don't know how to say this, but if I don't come back, will you tell her – if you see her of course – how I feel, and, well, if I am not around any more she'll free to find a better life." It was sad to read this sentence soon after: Matt knew he was playing a dangerous game, that essentially he was the bait for the trap. Strangely enough, that fact didn't worry him at all. Truth was he didn't care if he ever returned to Dodge or not. In his compromised mental state, his mind seemed to vacillate between she loves me, she loves me not just like the predictive petals on a daisy. I think of Kitty as the light that pulled Matt home and gave him strength to fight when he had no strength of his own left. And now,as he plays this dangerous game, he is bereft of her strength and light, I think maybe Kitty didn't know this. I really enjoyed the parallel story lines as Kitty returned to Dodge to sell the Long Branch and Matt stuck to the plan to being bait on a hook. I watched the two parallel story lines slowly change trajectory-one nudged by a late stage the other by a wounded Marshal mysteriously driven to get home-and converged in Dodge. I really loved the ending as you returned to the theme of the gambler. You showed two people in love who had been through a hard time and emerged on the other side with a greater understanding of who they were and what was important. Matt offered to throw in his badge finally acknowledging that of his two passions, she was the most important. She acknowledging that life and cards were different and that, for now at least, they could keep everything. Great finale as the two cllmbed Boot Hill to pay homage to "The Gambler." I also have to confess that I was glad he kept his badge because I always have a little trouble with him giving it up. I guess in my mind, Matt and Kitty are frozen in time back in the 1870s. That is not to say I don't enjoy happily ever after stories, I just have a preference for the marshal and the saloon keeper. Thanks for another great story.
BigMommaT chapter 9 . 7/12/2014
NICE! I very much enjoyed this story. Plus, I've always loved that song. You definitely kept me wondering whether or not Kitty would sell and/or be there if and when Matt returned. I thought the ending was a nice touch and a great way to bring the story full circle.

Thanks for a nice read.

TBone
LadyofDodge chapter 9 . 7/9/2012
FINALLY got a chance to read this story. I love the song, and I like the way you wove the gambler's thoughts into the story. Very nice!

Suzanne
mahc chapter 9 . 7/1/2012
Very nice ending! And thanks for that little bit of additional Matt ouchi-ness!
cheyenne1963 chapter 9 . 6/29/2012
This story was truly remarkable. I cant wait for you to come up with another one. Thanks for all your hard work.
tjp chapter 9 . 6/24/2012
Another great story. It is always nice to see Kitty and Matt overcome their problems and come back together. Also glad that Matt listened to what the gambler had to say and realize that Kitty is more important than the badge.

Janie
lostcowgirl chapter 9 . 6/24/2012
I was right about Kitty nursing Matt back to health. What I didn't entirely expect was the sneaky way Doc got her to do it so that they'd have a chance to reconcile and Matt could make his promise of "someday." The epilog wrapped things up nicely.

Elaine
SingerMe chapter 9 . 6/24/2012
That was an absolutely beautiful ending. Thank you!
lostcowgirl chapter 8 . 6/23/2012
Ah, things are coming to a head. All will be resolved in the final chapter. I see Kitty nursing Matt back to health after Doc removes the bullet.
tengland2 chapter 8 . 6/23/2012
Figured Matt would get shot anyway. Somehow he just can't get out of the way fast enought. Just hoping that one of those telegraphs is to someone in Dodge letting them know he was returning home. Can only hope that something comes up and Kitty has to stay just a bit longer.
tengland2 chapter 7 . 6/23/2012
Glad that the people didn't arrive on time. Gives Kitty a couple days to make the right decision (I hope) and time for Matt to get back to her.

Things between Matt and Sanchez get interesting. Three bullets, must figure one way or another. Just hope sanchez's men stay out of this.
lostcowgirl chapter 7 . 6/22/2012
I see you gave Kitty a bit more time to change her mind, but the moment of truth has come for Matt. I fully expect Matt to kill Sanchez at the start of chapter 8. How many of his men will have to be killed and how many will run or surrender remains to be seen as does whether or not Matt will be wounded and if so, how badly.
lostcowgirl chapter 6 . 6/21/2012
I see Kitty's beginning to have serious second thoughts and Doc's helping her along with them. As to Matt, the survival skills are beginning to resurface despite his uncertainty in regard to Kitty, his main reason for living.
tengland2 chapter 6 . 6/21/2012
Interesting conversations all around. Looking forward to see what you have in mind for both Matt and Kitty.