Reviews for Summer Of My Russian Sailor
Dan Sickles chapter 66 . 1/31
A really beautiful chapter - you show what it means to be a mother and to have a real family!
Dan Sickles chapter 59 . 12/3/2013
Do you realize this story is now almost 50 thousand words? That is longer than a Harlequin Presents! And do you realize that they are always, always looking for stories like this? Where you describe pregnancy and family life and the challenges of a woman dealing with both relatives and the man in her life? And as far as e-books go, you could go to Wings E-Press or a dozen other outfits and sell a story like this, too. You should really become a published author!
Dan Sickles chapter 57 . 11/18/2013
Wow, this is one of the best chapters of this story in a long time! I totally love how quietly and realistically you begin the chapter, and the way Alexei goes into a really chilling Soviet point of view about the value of the child to society as a whole. It really captures the whole concept that the individual exists to serve the state, and not the other way around! You put the chill into the story with total understatement while still making it clear that these two characters love each other very much!

Also in the last chapter I loved where Alexei made that joke about his wife falling out the window! Lucius Vorenus in ROME would have been really embarrassed if he heard that one!
Dan Sickles chapter 55 . 11/1/2013
Sorry I haven't checked in on this story in a while. It's still one of my favorites! I especially loved the visit to New Orleans and how you make the city seem so vibrant and alive as the home of jazz. Also how you captured the magic and excitement of the unexpected pregnancy!

Now you really should think of going to an RWA meeting, and submitting a story for money. Since you've already written more than 46 K of this story it's really clear you could write a full length novel!
beadbird chapter 1 . 7/30/2013
I just found this story, and it takes me waaaay back! What I remember most about the movie was when the sailors were saying "Emergency! Everybody to get off street!" and the unforgettabale guy on his horse, "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!" This looks like a wonderful story, I am looking forward to reading more. Nice!
Dan Sickles chapter 42 . 7/7/2013
You know, everytime I read this story I am just amazed at how well you write about couples and their relationships. You should really, really start going to RWA meetings and see about getting published as a romance author. I loved how Alexei took care of Alisonka in this chapter. He's the best!
Dan Sickles chapter 39 . 6/4/2013
This was a great chapter - I'd really like to hear more about Marty! Sometimes it's helpful to have a bit more suspense in each chapter - like some goal that the character must accomplish before the chapter is over. I know I have a lot of trouble because I just want to show everyone relaxing and having fun, but readers want sudden drama and cliffhangers instead!
Dan Sickles chapter 37 . 5/17/2013
Wow, that was a great chapter, all right. And what a cliffhanger! You write family scenes so well, and love scenes so well, and I really enjoyed every paragraph.

I do have one small suggestion for the ending. I would actually end the chapter with "Tyson was nowhere to be seen." Then the reader is worrying much more. If you show that they've already found him, the reader is less on edge, even if the poor baby is drowned, because at least the reader knows the situation is settled. What you want to do at the end of each chapter is maximize the uncertainty! Expectation mingled with uncertainty is the essence of dramatic tension.
Dan Sickles chapter 34 . 4/23/2013
Alexei and Alisonka are still my favorite couple! The description of them working in the garden was so real and everyday, yet so romantic. Is there about to be a major twist in the story?
Dan Sickles chapter 25 . 2/7/2013
Wow, this was a great chapter! What happened to Sasha? Was there foul play? That really made me sad. But I have to say I was blown away by the rest of the story. The way you worked so much history into the discussion about Christmas. It's so easy to feel like the Soviet Union was horrible and backward for the things they did. But then you show how America has problems like that too, not only with the Indians but with gays and lesbians. It really made me think that Donna and her partner having to hide was just like the Russian people not being able to celebrate Christmas!

I know you have a lot of great stories going on right now, but this one is really my favorite! (Except for KINDRED SPIRITS, of course.)
Dan Sickles chapter 20 . 1/13/2013
Oh, no I hope Darya will be okay! I really like her and hope she will meet a nice American girl very soon. This was a great chapter, I liked how warm and hopeful and full of kindness the people are - just like all your stories!
Dan Sickles chapter 18 . 12/17/2012
This is a really great new chapter! The story about Alexei's uncle who died in the factory was so moving. I love the way you can capture so much about the injustice under Stalin with only a few words. And the way you show how people of both nations have so much in common. Last of all, I like how the chapter ends on a sort of cliff hanger too.

KINDRED SPIRITS is a story where fun, exciting things are always happening, but this story is just as moving and special in its own way. Great job!
Dan Sickles chapter 17 . 12/4/2012
This is a wonderful new chapter! I don't know this is the end of the story but the last paragraph is written so beautifully it almost sounds like the end of the story.

I always thought Alison and Alexei were a wonderful couple, and you describe their moods and capture their different ways of speaking perfectly.

A couple of minor suggestions: take a few minutes before you post and see if you can shorten each paragraph. It makes the story more emotional and exciting if there are fewer words. For example, "When that thought crossed her mind, she had to swallow a lump in her throat as she desperately tried to squash it." Just cut out the words "as she desperately tried to squash it," and see how much more moving and emotional that sentence becomes!
Dan Sickles chapter 16 . 11/30/2012
Wow, I'm really glad I caught up with this story! I stopped following it for a couple of weeks because of the name change. But it was awesome, the last three chapters are really interesting and push the story in new directions.

I totally love the way Alexei reacts to the street preacher - that was so realistic and really captured the Communist mentality. I also liked the stroganoff discussion and wish we could see more Russian cooking!

Last of all, I really like the new couple in the final chapter! ;-)
Sarah chapter 16 . 11/26/2012
Wait so the girl is gay?