Reviews for Fred the Second
LilithChild chapter 1 . 10/19/2014
This is very sweet and makes me both happy and wanting to cry at the same time. Great job, I always wondered what Fred II would feel like always being compared to Fred I.
volfan chapter 1 . 3/21/2013
Absolutely beautiful and so sad.
tam418 chapter 1 . 11/8/2012
kind of sad :( Fred (the first) would be really dissappointed that everybody sees him in his nephew T.T but I kind of understand the others too... I myself shut the part, where Fred dies, out of my memory and that kind of thoroughly... Was one of the most (and many T.T) terrible parts of the series! and like always you did very well
thehazeleyedloser chapter 1 . 11/8/2012
i promise i’m not flaming.

i hate this, yet, i love it. i don’t know. wouldn’t fredii changing his name be worse? yeah, living up to a dead uncle may be tough, but wouldn’t it be tougher on molly once it was fabian? it’s also george’s middle name!

and i guess i cant make sense of why george understands so completely. maybe george has pushed him to be like his uncle. i just don’t know why fredii could change names so easily.

though, it's your piece. i like its flow, i like fredii’s thoughts. adoring the ending with father/son bonding. amazing!
Satan Abraham chapter 1 . 7/14/2012
Awh. I loved this. It was just so... I dunno. There are no words.
TayaCurragh chapter 1 . 7/1/2012
Aw, what a sad yet nice story. One of my favourite things about next gen is how the ones like Fred who were named after people would live up to their namesakes, and also their family reputations for many of the kids. It's sad that he felt like he had to go to such extreme measures, but the way you described why seemed so perfect. It's nice to see his parents accept him, and I like how George calls him Fabian at the end :)
Mr Bellatrix Lestrange chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
Okay, when this came up in my e-mail, I nearly fainted (figuratively speaking) because it was such an amazing idea. I don't know /why/ no one has ever thought of it, but that may be just because you a creative and exciting writer and that's just... gah. I would've reviewed sooner, except I was not in the possession of a computer, and this totally deserved as much reviewingness as possible. So without further ado, here I delve.

To start, I know how difficult it is to get a legal name change, as I've known someone in that particular position. It's a frustrating and a long process, and it just shows a lot of the courage and perseverance that Fabian, now, must have possessed to get through this. Off of this fic, I'd say he's a Gryffindor, but that's beside the point. He really, truly, did want this.

"Does changing his name change who he is? Is he, in a way, defined by his name?" I liked this part because it is such a question that he /would/ have to ask himself. I'd say no, of course, that someone isn't what a document says (take Witness Protection victims for one thing, criminals and fraudulents, or even someone who simply chooses to go by their middle name, or a nickname). A name doesn't define the person. But in response to Fabian, who used to be Fred, it's true to /feel/ like this name is your entire person. And it's tough when you don't want to /be/ that person. It's perfectly natural to have that little doubt present.

The choice of Fabian as a name was a lovely addition. I liked it because it stays in the family and he doesn't stray to far. That emphasizes the fact that he's not trying to disrespect the family, simply that the pressure he's under is too great, and that Fabian is something he can deal with.

"Because I'm not him." Is all the reason anyone could need, and in so few words in conveys a lifetime of trying to succeed under a title that you can't. I wonder if this would be acceptable, but in theory it's rather poetic and lovely.

"Fre- Fabian's wand," doing this signifies a lot of moving on, and the fact that he knows it will be hard, yet knows it will be possible. Doing this also provided clarification on the reader's part, in a way.

"No matter how much he tries not to." Sad, but very true. I liked the way you did that much, and I like how he tries so hard to be unique and distinguished, if only to look dissimilar from his namesake.

"And the name rolls off his lips as though it's the same one he's been using since birth, and Fabian Lee Weasley has never been so grateful in his life." Finally we come to the ever-so-perfect ending. It's tough. Truly. Whatever "coming-out" that occurred here was really difficult. And when people do things like this, their asking for approval and support, because they need it. George's apology was something, because it really says that he didn't know what he was doing (inflicting) when he chose this name, and for that he's more sorry than he should be. But the fact that he picks it up and respects his son's decision is wonderful. It's beautiful in fact. And I adored this.
silverbirch chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
What a fantastic story! We all went "aah!" when we saw the names that were so familiar to us from a time long past but why did they do it? George was fantastic. He knew.
Ginny Everdeen Potter chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
I can kind of see this happening to a lot of the next gen. kids especially Albus Severus. Anyway I would like to answer your question about names defining people with a quote from Willam Shakespeare " What is in a name? That wich we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."(Act II,Scene II Romeo and Juliet) Anywho I guess I'm trying to say I do not think names really define a person in a really poetic , long winded, and intelligent way by quoting Shakespeare.
Ginny Everdeen Potter chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
lella7 chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
A very interesting idea, I don't think I've ever seen a fic along these lines before. I'm not sure that if he was changing his name for these reasons he'd pick Fabian though, because you'd think picking the name of another war hero would lead to the same problems, though I suppose they'd be less extreme as Fabian died longer ago. I really loved the ending and the way George accepted his decision, it was really touching.
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 6/18/2012
As usual, this is a wonderful piece. Though, I have to say, I've never thought of any of the children named after famous people would change their names. It makes this fic oddly unique, at least to me.

I am rather curious as to why it's Fabian. I know Fred thinks its close enough to his old name that he can get used to it easily. But Fabian was Molly's brother who died a war hero as well. Might be just as hard to live up to that name as it is to live up to Fred.

There were some rather good lines: "But they won't expect him to be Fred Weasley anymore, because he isn't. And he has always known that he could never be." - that's why I refuse to name a child (if and when I have one, obviously. Don't need any babies now ;D) after a dead relative. Too much to live up to.

"Is he, in a way, defined by his name?" - that is a really good question that I'm not sure I could ever answer.

And I'm glad George excepts it rather quickly and easily.

Overall, gorgeous. :D
digigirl02 chapter 1 . 6/17/2012
I loved it. I've always seen George's son not wanting to live up to his namesake.

I really like the part where when asked why he wanted to change his name he replied that he is not him,
adp1222 chapter 1 . 6/17/2012
Loved it. Very realistic
flawsmadebeautiful chapter 1 . 6/17/2012
I never really thought of it that way. I guess because Fred (Fabian) wants to be his own person now...rather than trying to have to live up to expectations that he’ll never achieve. I think that’s actually a good reason for him to change his name. Then again, a name doesn’t make a person who they are.