Reviews for I Have You Back
Guest chapter 1 . 4/16/2015
Well since it's 4:40 am I'd rather not. But I will tomorrow! Btw love all your work .
DarkFairy77 chapter 1 . 2/2/2015
I loved this movie because it mirrored the relationship I had with my mom, although she did give me the freedom to be myself. She was always telling me may you shouldn't do that. It's not lady-like, but when I was a kid I played with the boys so I did what to boys did.
Distant Star Forever chapter 1 . 4/23/2013
I would go hug my mom but i dont feel like getting out of bed.
I realy liked you fanfic
$%$%$%$%$%
&%%&%%&%%%%&&&%%%%&&%%%%%%%&&%&&&%?
&&&&&&&&&%%*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'
#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#
HAFanForever chapter 1 . 10/14/2012
One of the reasons why I love Merida is because she is very different from a typical woman, especially of her time period. She doesn't care about elegance or grace; she's very bold, strong, and independent, and unfortunately, because her mother expects to act like a typical woman (especially since she is and shows all the basic traits of one), that's what causes the friction between them. Although we see in the film's start that Merida and Elinor love each other very much, the conflict grows between them as Merida grows up because Elinor thinks Merida needs to be just like her in order to be a proper queen. This is where I feel Elinor puts her role as a queen first instead of a mother, because she needs to accept the fact that Merida has her own identity as an individual and even like some parents, she can't expect Merida to BE her 100%.

And I agree with what you say on how Elinor clearly has a view on how things should be, so I think that's why she has a lot of conflict with Merida. Merida is an example of a child who rebels when one or both of the parents are so strict with them, and by strict I mean of how Elinor tries to control every part of Merida's life, from the way she laughs to how she should eat. I think that since Elinor likes to have things her way, especially if they are correct, she thinks she is always right.

Elinor is definitely a lot better at being practical and a diplomat, and I think that's pretty much why Fergus always listens to her regardless. I mean, he does know that harm could come to the kingdom if Merida does not marry, but he seems much less willing to force her to go through with this.

It was definitely clear that Elinor did not miss throwing the bow into the fireplace, rather than to the side. But I think at that point, she was even more angry with Merida for ruining the tapestry that she kind of got even by throwing the bow into the fire. However, once Merida was out of the room, she was horrified at what she did and retrieved it before it was completely burned. She clearly didn't mean to harm it, it was just in the heat of her anger. It's a shame that Merida didn't see what her mother did, because that showed us that Elinor does care about what Merida likes and what's important to her, even Merida clearly thinks the opposite. That's especially noticeable because Elinor starts crying afterwards, meaning that she had remorse.

Merida wanted a spell to change Elinor, but it was to change her mind about the betrothal, not her mother's shape. I'd say that her turning into a bear is an interesting setup, because before she ruined the tapestry, Merida called Elinor a beast for controlling her life. Subsequently, Elinor becomes one, symbolizing how Merida sees her, and after that, almost any communication between them is just about impossible since Elinor couldn't talk to Merida.

While Elinor initally believed that Merida shouldn't have weapons, she gained appreciation and respect for Merida's skills, most especially when Merida caught fish for them and when she protected her from Fergus before he could kill Elinor. I liked seeing Merida dream of that memory of her and Elinor singing, because it showed how Merida was beginning to remember when her mother had been there for her. I think she said the opposite earlier because this was when the friction was building up between them so much that Merida was remembering less of the happy times she shared with Elinor when she was a child. And I think Elinor may have been strict in some ways because she had a hard time accepting the fact that Merida was growing up and becoming an individual person. I also saw how when the cottage exploded, Elinor immediately shielded Merida from harm, which showed that she did still love and care about her and would do anything to keep her safe...and then that comes again later when she breaks free from the ropes and charges Mor'du before he can kill Merida.

It seems like some say Merida was selfish in her actions because of how the clans nearly started a war and she almost cost her mother her humanity, and she was. She had to go the long and hard way around in order to understand what her actions had done, but I do believe she learned her responsibilities to her actions, and I especially see that before Elinor changes back. When Merida thinks she's failed, she finally apologizes to Elinor and admits that it was all her fault, then she says her mother had been there for her...and then she professes her love for Elinor. That's what the witch's message of "mend the bond torn by pride" really meant to break the spell.

Ultimately, the whole ordeal brings Elinor and Merida closer together, and the tapestry they make is a way of having them remember what they learned about themselves and each other. Merida would most likley still have princess lessons, but from now on, Elinor will be more attentive and understanding to Merida's needs, and while Merida won't be forbidden from doing what she enjoys, she will also be more understanding to her mother's wisdom.

As for her suitors, although they didn't say anything about it until later, it was probably a relief for Merida that they felt the same way as she did in how they feel they had no say in the matter. I don't think she matches with Young Macintosh because of how he is a showoff and a narcissist, which doesn't win Merida over, but at least he agreed with her idea first. I don't know how much I can say for Young MacGuffin and Wee Dingwall, but at least the latter also admitted his agreement, and at the end, you can see that he did become interested in Merida since he kissed her hand and arm several times (though she was clearly disgusted). I did read that Merida was originally going to end up with Young MacGuffin, but I don't know how much I can say about his character (like the others) in how he'd match up with Merida. If Merida decided to choose a suitor, I guess she was going to pick him.

And yes, with Fergus and Elinor, they had an arranged marriage, but still found love in each other. You can see that they are about as different as can be, but those differences make them rule the kingdom together well. They really do complete each other, and while Fergus is often immature at times, he is still a caring father and devoted husband to Elinor. I thought the scene where he finds Elinor's torn dress in their room showed how much he loved her and wanted to avenge her when he thought the bear had killed her. The fact that she can keep him calm and under control is one of the reasons on why I think he loves her.

Yes, I do think Merida would regret turning her mother into a bear in order to bring about the fact that she wanted her Elinor to be more understanding, but she wouldn't regret that it did happen.

So yeah, this is a long comment, but that's because you said so much in here that I could comment on, because I liked this, so good work. :)
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
Nice stuff! What is "Brave"?
FireChildSlytherin5 chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
Great one-shot. :)
Sarah1281 chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
Merida is certainly a lot more...optimistic about her three suitors than I am.
Saphirabrightscale chapter 1 . 6/27/2012
Aw so sweet ever since I saw the movie Brave I love my parents, including my mom, even more.
fictionlover94 chapter 1 . 6/25/2012
Aww I love this story and I love that you do her point of view. (I usually write in 3rd person)
steven.acevedo555 chapter 1 . 6/25/2012
I saw this movie a couple of days ago and loved it. You cut to the quick of Merida's feelings before and after trying to change her own fate.

Anyone can change their fate but it takes a boit of redemption to bring the change that much closer.
Uncertain Anonymous chapter 1 . 6/25/2012
Awww. It's sweet!
WyldClaw chapter 1 . 6/25/2012
this was absolutely beautiful! i saw the movie on friday and i believe you captured every aspect of it perfectly
Embracing Insanity chapter 1 . 6/19/2012
Oh such a touching story. I read it once, and then again just to enjoy the writing again. It was wonderful. Thank you for the lovely read )