Reviews for Dispatches from America
malintzin chapter 18 . 12/4/2012
This chapter is just awesome! I can picture Richard's fright and Mary's delight... Of course, she must be an excellent driver since Edith is a good driver ;-) Well done!
MrsTater chapter 18 . 12/4/2012
Oh god. I am dying at the image of Mary being a terror in a red Bugatti. But as funny as this one is, it's also really significant, in light of their discussion about driving and Richard's fears in Murder! (Of course, Richard's trust may be misplaced as killing him in a car crash seems likely, LOL.)

As always, a treat. And I had been wondering when you'd update!
MrsTater chapter 17 . 11/20/2012
YES. I have been thinking about Richard meeting Hearst, and about Mary attending a fabulous party with him, and this is just the best. Costumes! Mary in a film! Failing at being conspicuous, of course! And I love that she just says it like that. And I LOLed at the Chinese vs Japanese thing.

Their honeymoon adventures are simply the best. Never stop. :D
MrsTater chapter 16 . 11/13/2012
YES. Richard being confounded by horses. He so would be. And Mary galloping off merrily, laughing at him. Love her snarky last line about contributing to the income. THEY ARE THE BEST SNARKY POWER COUPLE.

And oh my goodness, is Richard going to race the Isotta?
Guest chapter 15 . 11/6/2012
Love these snapshots of R/M fun times in America. Great way to get a Richard fix while waiting for London in the Morning and other great stories.
MrsTater chapter 15 . 11/5/2012
Augh! I just love Richard and Mary being fabulous in California mansions. And I do hope you write an outtake featuring a tennis match, and maybe a cool down (you know, for tempers, not body temperatures, hehe) in that swimming pool. ;) This whole chapter felt so relaxing and vacationy.

I have to know, whose mansion did they rent?
MrsTater chapter 14 . 10/29/2012
YES. Richard and Mary as bootleggers. Yes, yes, yes. (They need to move to America, honestly, I love them here, hehe.) This was a fun one-I actually didn't realize about the burgeoning wine industry in California being affected by Prohibition, but that totally makes sense. Also loved Mary cracking the drink menu price code. She would. And Richard is duly impressed. Fun stuff!
MrsTater chapter 13 . 10/23/2012
Bwahaha! This is such an especially well-timed read as the state fair just concluded here, and in the final weekend a longhorn cow escaped, some people got stuck on a ride called the stratosphere for 3.5 hours, and our gigantic mascot, Big Tex, had an electrical short and burned to a crisp before fairgoers' eyes. So. Reading about Richard and Mary at a 1920s funfair cracked me up.

This was a delight. I love their sense of adventure, and can just see Mary rolling her eyes but being as keen as Richard really to give all this Americana a whirl. I LOLed about the bumper cars and Richard's dry reference to the Isotta incident. (There are some parts of that story he'd probably best omit from the papers. ;)) And hot dogs and cotton candy are a far cry from dressing for dinner at Downton, aren't they?

I hope you write this fic forever. :D
Alice shipper chapter 12 . 10/17/2012
I melt through out the first part and i can totally see Richard watching Mary kicking the water! Lovely!
MrsTater chapter 12 . 10/16/2012
Now this is well and truly a different world for them, isn't it? I love the change of pace here, where they're swept up in the grandeur and even the romance of the West, and almost even speechless compared to the usual snark.

And the glimpse of romantic!Richard in the end. Lovely. :)
Belle of Books chapter 12 . 10/15/2012
Oh my gosh I love this one. It makes me feel patriotic and something about your writing feels like poetry and causes something to stir within me. I love this. I had to write something and say so. The descriptions of the paintings remind me of the American Adventure in Epcot at Disney World. Silly thing to be reminded of, but there it is. Thanks so much. I loved it.
Ju-dou chapter 11 . 10/15/2012
"Her eyes seem to brighten at this particular realisation." BWHAHAHAAH.

LOVE this. And you are giving me such an insight into America, carrying the reader along with Richard and Mary, and I love how much of Mary we still get despite this being Richard's column, she is such a definable presence and guh, it's so fantastic.

You really know how to capture a place, and I've lived and breathed each new one. You are so talented.
Ju-dou chapter 10 . 10/15/2012
Agh, this is just SPLENDID! Incredible. Your writing... flawless, totally flawless, I could read on and on. You write so beautifully as Richard and far more entertainingly than any travel blog or book I have ever read. The description of Boston... TROLOLOLOLOL. APT. I have never been but my dad gave me a similar summary after his visit. I could picture everything so clearly, the stockinged fool and the face pulling four year old. Perfect.
Ju-dou chapter 9 . 10/15/2012
WONDERFUL! As always, I love how well you've captured Richard's journalistic voice. So witty. And I loved Richard being 'rotated' out with the summer wardrobe, bwhaha. They are just so fabulous. And Sassy is the perfect travelling companion for them. Your commentary on the societal differences between the UK and the US is very astute and intelligent, although, I expect no less. Totally superb, off to catch up with the rest!
MrsTater chapter 11 . 10/8/2012
That opening paragraph! Richard needs a side-job as a noir fiction writer. He'd have so much juicy inspiration to draw from in his newspapers!

I really loved this, the barman with the Chicago vs New York lecture (I've decided that Mary is Chicago and Richard is New York, btw, based on that) and I can so see Richard and Mary discussing whether she could get away with murdering him. I think the balance of power in their relationship is definitely swaying here, as Richard is cowed about his typing. ;) Too funny.

These little snippets are such teases, though. I find myself crying OUTTAKE at every one. So much scope for the imagination!