Reviews for The Devil's Details
Revan 3 chapter 3 . 4/27/2013
I desperately want to critique this. I find it especially ironic, then, that there is /nothing/ I can try to help you improve here.

I see only excellent and tactful characterization,
Exquisite and balanced detail,
Plausible direction and plot,
A perfect dose of humor.

One thing, though: Which September did you have it on hiatus until?
Model Builder chapter 3 . 6/29/2012
Again, I have to point out that I have very limited knowledge of the MLPFiM universe. But thanks to your "user friendly" writing style, I have to say that I am enjoying this story immensely. Both dialogue and characterizations are so well done, that I have to keep reminding myself that this story is taking place on a world populated by sentient, sapient, technologically-advanced pastel-colored ponies from a cartoon originally aimed at preteen girls!

Sleipnir's danglies! I can't wait to read more!
Woodswolf chapter 3 . 6/28/2012
Anybody else hate this new 'comments' system? I liked the new window called 'reviews', thank you very much. All in favor of simply calling it 'reviews' and ignoring whatever tells us?
I liked this chapter. We met our Big Three for this thing.
You, Mr. Carabas, had me deluded into the image that all of these guys were awkward misfits that hung on the edge of society. Well, /losers/ is a better term for what you made me think from what you had told me in all of those numerous PM conversations we had and I think I should stop talking right about now but I think I'll finish this sentence first or maybe not but I don't really care... I think I'll shut up now.
Good job crafting an illusion for my mind to take up as its own. All of these guys are /awesome/!
Okay. The end. I think I'll go now. I'm trying to learn this new sheet music I printed off. It's awesome.
Model Builder chapter 2 . 6/25/2012
I must repeat from my previous review: I am not now, and never have been, a "Brony."

That might just have to change.

This story is VERY intriguing, and the author's character of Skewbald Doul is nothing less than fascinating.

I hope that some Brony or Pegasister artist out there reading this makes a custom of Skewbald Doul . . . .
Woodswolf chapter 2 . 6/24/2012
Hmph. Well, you're quite a master of parallels, aren't you?

I'm getting a few bells ringing. Specifically concerning two sister ships built around 1910. One, named after deities associated with 'evil' in ways, sank on her maiden voyage. The other, named after the 'good' side of that, sank many, many years later.

Sure, you haven't shown the shutdown of the Diurna, but I think that's enough parallels to Olympic (Diurna) and Titanic (Nocturna), no?

Either you've done too much research and I've just noticed and appreciated your work, or I've watched too many Titanic specials on History Channel, I'm clutching at straws, and I'm a nerd. Which is more likely?

...

I'm seeing a similar pattern.

Twilight was not suspended, no; she simply got too active in her studies.

Fort Livery, though. 'Fort' does not sound like a good title for a place to learn about the magic of friendship. That sounds more like a place with the 500 at 5 deal (Now, it may be exaggerated, or it may not be, as I have not been in the army, but I call that to 500 push-ups at 5 AM), not like Ponyville where nopony does anything all day (again, exaggerated, but still - If they have that much playtime... it can easily be inferred that unemployment is high. And that nopony cares).

Gah, what were the names of the ponies he was supposed to meet up with, anyway? I don't want to dig through my massive collection of PMs to find it, and now it's going to annoy me until I find it. And I'm going to get pissed off if I just read for it later.

Oh well.

TO THE CHARACTERS:

TWILIGHT:

Guess what! I found your long-lost twin brother!

Twilight: Uhh...?

Me: Meet Skewbald. Sure, you look nothing like each other, and you act nothing like each other - I'm pretty sure Skewbald almost borders on psychopathic - but you were separated at birth, so that fixes EVERYTHING, no problem!

*Cheshire Cat smile*

Twilight: I... didn't know I had a brother. (I love this line. You know why, deep inside XD)

Me: Well, now you do!

Skewbald: I protest. Well, it depends... do you think I could use her to my own ends to carry out my deeds?

Me: I'd be fine with that.

Twilight: Uhhh... I don't like where this is going.

Me: No one cares what you think!

Skewbald: Well, before you take your role as my new slave, I'm going to debate the ethics of such a move with myself. So, I guess you don't feel very good about this, right?

Twilight: Yeah... I'm just gonna le-

Skewbald: DO NOT MOVE, SLAVE! Also, I don't care what you think. Jury, what is the ruling?

Me: Assuming I'm the jury, she's your slave.

Twilight: ...We are mortal enemies, Woodswolf. Your blood will be spilled many times over.

Me: I think I'll use that sentence somewhere...

Twilight: *facehoof*
Model Builder chapter 1 . 6/24/2012
First, let me say that I am not now, and never have been, a "Brony."

Second, I do not think that my lack of "Bronyhood" will interfere in any way with my (or anyone's) ability to follow and therefore, thoroughly enjoy, this story.

To all potential readers, I can say with absolute certainty that the Marquis-Carabas has a talent for making the unfamiliar accessible to his readers without having to resort to infodumps.

So don't let the unusual fandom deter you; this story promises to be something extraordinary . . . .
Woodswolf chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
Heh. I saw this in my inbox once it was there, and I clicked it immediately to go to the new link.

Heh. Yeah. *nervouscough*

Oh, no! Why in the world would I be feeling guilty...?

Heh. Heh. Yeah...

Skewbald is /pretty/ badass, I can tell. Nice planner, very analytical... in other words, unless if I make him be a jerk to me and start a rivalry with him in TTC, we will get along very well.

Skewbald: Well, what are you going to play me as?

Me: I think you could be a valuable ally. Maybe I'll be able to write the Stormcrow Sequence faster. 'Cuz I'm feeling guilty.

Skewbald: Good plan.

Me: Go win, now.

Skewbald: Go write.

Me: /Thanks/ for reminding me. Ugh...