Reviews for Robert Goes Shopping: Birthday Surprises
TheCountessAndTheEnglishLord chapter 1 . 1/19
This is absoutely wonderful - really skillfull writing, very sweet, very strong narrative voice.
meriland25 chapter 1 . 3/3/2014
So sweet, but still believable, I like to think that after all their trobles, Cora and Robert would be able to make their peace with the past and move on. Have a nice day :)
CountessCora chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
I love this! How romantic!
ladyofeverything chapter 1 . 10/25/2012
Oh this is so beautiful and well written. I loved every line.
coracrawley chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
This is a lovely story. I liked how you used the hairpin that she actually wore. Very nicely done! :-)
Eugenia-Hacy chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
Awww, so sweet. I love these two so much. Thank you for the story !
JamesLuver chapter 1 . 7/28/2012
This is so perfect! :3 It bridges the gap between S02E08 and the CS wonderfully. I absolutely adore Robert throughout the course of this. He's so clueless and it's absolutely adorable! It's almost enough to make me forgive his lack of judgement in the last couple of episodes in series two. ;) In particular this line made me laugh: "Did he always pay this much for her gifts? Since he usually sent the girls to choose something, he really had no idea." That is so typical of males! The image of Robert almost knocking down bottles of perfume also gave me a good giggle.

I liked the way that things are not perfect between Robert and Cora. Of course it would take time for their marriage to begin repairing itself, especially after what they've endured over the past few years. That awkwardness makes them even more real and IC, so good job. :)

I loved the part where he gave her the gift! The reaffirmation of his feelings for her was something that desperately needed to happen, and you worded it so beautifully here. I was sighing happily at how romantic and lovely the whole thing was.

The mirroring of the "We're alright, aren't we...?" scene was a wonderful addition that I wasn't expecting to see here. And the lighthearted banter between the two of them was just perfect in showing how things are slowly getting back to normal.

Also, the gift was perfect. It was very original and not cheesy at all. I would never have thought of something as subtle as that!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your stuff. :D
subtle tea chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
How sweet! I love it. Well done!
Guest chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
How cute! Well, I suppose the premise isn't just to be cute, but I love how even when things aren't perfect with them they still have such cute/funny banter...

Now that I'm thinking about birthdays, I don't remember them ever mentioning anyone's birthday on the actual show...hm, someone should tell Julien Fellowes we need some birthdays!

Excellent story! :-)
ruflylover chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! You kep me interested throughout the whole story and everything was so very in character and thorough and detailed. Well done! ;)

Also I LOVED the line "are you going to tell me what rabbit hole you fell down this afternoon?"

I just thought it was cute and very creative! Lovely!
1life2ROCK chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
Awwwww such a sweet story. I love that Robert was so worried about getting Cora a gift.
Downton1 chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
I like it! I agree about the paragraphs, but that can certainly be edited :)

I really enjoyed the details in the story and especially how it weaves in a bit with the actual details of the show. Nicely done!
Jt 45 chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
Very good story. I loved it. Robert's determination to put the past behind them and move forward was heartening to see. I admit I didn't think of the hairpin being a present, but it was a perfect one. I'll have to watch the CS again and see if I can spot it.

Howevr, it was a bit hard to read because of the large paragraphs. If I may offer some advice: Try to break it up into a few more smaller paragraphs. This is particularly true with dialogue. When a new character speaks, you should establish a new line, otherwise it becomes hard to tell who is speaking.

Just some helpful tips. I look forward to reading more work from you!