Reviews for Condolences to the Blind
Skynote chapter 3 . 7/17/2014
How lovely. I mean, I realize "lovely" is a word that might seem out of context in MK... but this was a good read. I liked the double-meaning "blind" holds here, because it refers to Ermac figuratively while Kenshi literally. There is the irony of how Kenshi may be blind, but Ermac is blinder than him. And then of course there's Kenshi's whole past of him being "blinded by arrogance", but I ramble.

In other words, it was a pretty philosophical fic, haha. That's meant to be a compliment. I thought you handled Kenshi and Ermac's characters very well - to Kenshi's stoic exterior, to Ermac's mind-controlled, loyal soilder with a naive/imbalanced edge. For some reason I always envisioned the exact moment of Ermac's gain of free will to be a lot more dramatic and visual - like, Kenshi's sword makes a glorius swipe and shatters the bright green gem over his forehead or something - but the mental barrier being unblocked by persuasion on Kenshi's part makes more sense ;D

And of course, the fight helped back that up. I bought the fight, it didn't feel like one of those "fight for the sake of fighting" like the MK games' story mode tend to be guilty of, IMO.

All in all, I'm glad I found the chance to read this and that it's actually complete :)
Sindela chapter 3 . 11/11/2013
DUDE... OH MY GOD... I LITERALLY CAN'T STOP SHAKING... I mean WOW JUST WOW

I can't tell whether you're a hardcore fan or a psychologist or even a philosopher, this is pure genius you have written. Words can't even describe how well the story is written including the interaction between Kenshi and Ermac.

All I can say is thank you for sharing your talent to the world, you truly are amazing :D
xMsZombie chapter 1 . 6/27/2013
I really enjoyed the three chapters. Your interpretation of the events and how you writed it are brilliant. Me love some Ermac&Kenshi fanfictions, specially if they're well written like this one.
Oni Lord Asmodeus chapter 3 . 8/14/2012
Great Story! I really liked the conversations between Ermac and Kenshi, the were really thought out and weel done. I especilly liked the conversion from "evil-Ermac" in to good. The idea that an 'idea' is what woke Ermac up is brilliant! One that never crossed my mind. Great stuff.
iceangelmkx chapter 3 . 7/21/2012
I can definitely agree that most of the MK storylines, especially in past games, are vague. However, if it does one thing, it makes us fanfiction writers write our own interpretation of what happened in their point-of-view.

You're version of what happened with Kenshi and Ermac in Deadly Alliance is awesome. The interaction between the two was great and I definitely enjoyed the fight scene in Chapter 2. I've always wondered exactly how Kenshi helped Ermac break out of the mind control... heck, I've written at least two versions of it in the past (one of them I took completely creative liberty with, the other, well, it's a pretty crappy idea now P ), and I think your version is the best one. As someone else said, NRS should definitely portray this event how you did or at least something similar to it.

Thank you for writing this story. It's great to see a Kenshi centered story since there's hardly any stories with him in it (especially one that's actually well-written).
Not Logged In chapter 3 . 7/10/2012
I love where you decided to end it; it worked out perfectly. You're very good at the dialogue between them, because they sound believable and I don't become bored with what they're saying. I hope to see more of your work in this archive :)
Warbird571 chapter 3 . 7/7/2012
en-lumine, I must say that your writing skills are beyond exceptional. I really enjoyed the fight scenes which were written so well that I could literally see the fight. I'm really glad I found this story of yours. Great work :) Hmm.I can't help but say that your story is so good that if NetherRealm decides to portray this event they should do it exactly how you pictured it :) [I have a serious fondness of smileys :P ]
nivet chapter 3 . 7/6/2012
I just read the chapter, and I apologize for my confusion regarding your experience writing. This was another great chapter, immaculate grammar, as well as diverse and creative, and the dialogue and fights are interesting and immersive, respectively. Honestly though, I am disappointed that this is the last chapter, call me greedy. If you decide to write a longer story, be sure that I will be reading it. I hope to see more of your work soon.
Mr. Havik chapter 3 . 7/6/2012
Well I think this was splendid. And relieving since this accounts for one of the rare fics that are not only good but also END.

I thought that the characterisations were well thought out. People may have different interpretations, but what counts is whether the author manages to make them believable and you pulled that off skilfully with this final chapter. What kinda had me thinking was the sudden change in Kenshi's tone. He seemed a little casual in the first two chapters and then switched to a medieval style in this one. But I figured that it was for the sake of easier conversation with Ermac (I don't take him to be street-smart)

Also, this line I loved the most: "For it is true – I do grope in the black for answers. But I, at the very least, am acquainted with the nature of my darkness."

Abso-fucking-lutely genius. I could applaud if it didn't make me look crazy in front of my family.

You have no need to be humbled. I'm a writer, just like you, aspiring to get better at what I do everyday. Have fun and I hope to see more MK from you someday.
Nerdette92 chapter 3 . 7/6/2012
I know the stories over . Much to my dismay . But I just wanted today again, how much I liked this story. Ermac and Kenshi are two of my favorite characters , and in my opinion , they are underrated . But you wrote them really well. I found your fight scenes really well described to. I am really glad someone wrote a story about Kensh and Ermac, that wasn't Yaoi( not that I have a problem with it) . So in conclusion , congrats onan awesome story, and I look forward to reading more from you . :)
nivet chapter 2 . 6/24/2012
Just read both chapters and I am very impressed. From a story standpoint, I'll admit this creation of a new timeline has really shaken things up for me and so things are sometimes hard to keep track of. I really look forward to you shedding some more light on this part of the MK story. From a writing standpoint, this is damn good. You say this is your first fic, and I say this is probably the best written fic coming from a supposed beginner. I especially like the way you can set the scene by describing the surroundings; it is detailed but not blatant and pretentious. And you should be fond of your fight scene, it is very good. Hope to read an update scene, Ermac is my third favorite character (after Scorpion and Sub Zero of course) and I always enjoy reading him. By the way, "look at yourself blind fool" I absolutely loved that. Perfectly cruel and clever.
Mr. Havik chapter 2 . 6/24/2012
Its been a while since I've read anything on this site and must I say, it was peasant to see that the updates were not entirely crap. So firstly, I'd like to thank you for writing a worthwhile fic.

I didn't think anyone did a tie-in story for Kenshi and Ermac in DA. Well, atleast I haven't read any of the sort, but considering the present state of quality here, I wold love to take this to fill in the cannon for me.

I'd expected Ermac to be the same emotionless, robotic henchman like he always has been but the fact that you've used cannon explanations (Shao Kahn's mental ties now having been severed from Ermac) gives due credit to the emotions he experiences. Why wouldn't he? After all, with a thousand souls in chaos within him, he'd be helpless under that swarm of emotions.

More so, since the last chapter hasn't sprung up yet, I was just wondering if Ermac has his "own" personality for this? Man, you are right when you say he is a most complex character. An author's worst nightmare I guess.

I wouldn't say anything about Kenshi just yet because the last chapter will be the one that would highlight how they bond and form emotional ties with each other, aside from the telepathic ones.

Hope to get an update!
Not Logged In chapter 2 . 6/24/2012
Kenshi's thought patterns are dead-on, and that's something, considering how complex and mysterious of a character he is. Same with "Evil-Ermac"; that's exactly how I'd pictured him to be under Kahn's control.

I was able to follow the fight scene pretty well, and I agree with all of your points. The fight between them makes sense - since it is Mortal Kombat - and it makes everything more exciting. Hmm, will you be showing Ermac teaching Kenshi some of his telepathic moves?
The Kermac chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
WRITE MORE...plus I like it so far...O_o wilco
Not Logged In chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
I like this, and I do wanna see more. Kenshi doesn't have many stories, and neither does Ermac for the matter, so it's good to see a story centering around them.