Reviews for A Gem of a Soul
Jenndifurry chapter 9 . 9/7/2014
He lasted all of about .12 of this story before giving in. Jenn
Jenndifurry chapter 8 . 9/7/2014
As some one whose maternal grandparents were married in that temple. And have been to numerous temples since. You can only tour the grounds and the only time you can get into the actual temple is before the temple is (this isn't the right word but I can't think of it now) concencrated. In fact all pictures of a temple is before it is concencrated but the visiting center is famous and can be viewed by all.
cmtrent chapter 24 . 7/5/2014
Gahhhh. I can't beleive you did the episode with the Willow spell screw up. I just got excited thinking they were happily married. I still really, really,I mean really love the story :D.
EffulgentEllie chapter 73 . 5/13/2014
Loved the story. A bit slow in some places and then it would skip through others. The skipping didn't bother me since I'm a huge Buffy fan and followed along easily, but a divider would have been nice, so we knew when the story was changing scenes. All-in-all, loved it. On to part 2! :)
EffulgentEllie chapter 2 . 5/11/2014
I'm throughly enjoying this so far. I normally prefer specific POV fics, but you write so well and effortlessly change between the character's thoughts and dialects.
Saranac chapter 73 . 4/23/2014
That was fun!

Great job spuffy luvr. Joss always said that wherever Buffy was that is where Spike belongs. I know that given how both series ended didn't leave room for him to go with her but I like to think that as soon as he turned corporeal nothing would've stopped him from rejoining her.

Only problem is that he still needed to do some growing up, to become his own person. So I guess I'm 50/50 on that. The other bit, like we talked about earlier, is how well you're writing has improved. I'm particularly impressed by all the dialogue adjectives you made use of:

"She said serenly, he said flippantly, etc."

I really need to expand my vocabularly!

Great work, this is certainly a favorite of mine.
Saranac chapter 55 . 4/23/2014
Nice touch :-)

I always felt that yes in "As You Were", while Spike likely screwed up in canon, at this point in the show I doubt he would ever do anything truly evil. Far more likely a micommunication or misunderstanding, as was largely his entire relationship with Buffy all friggin season. Instead they took a detour back to season 2 - piss poor writing on the show's part that failed to further elaborate on the details behind what was happening.

Instead they focused the entire episode around Buffy feeling jealousy over Riley and Sam. Then there's the idea that Spike would adopt the codename "Doctor" for the job, the same demon who was responsible for what Spike felt like his biggest failure. All for the sake of spurring Buffy into dumping him. It would've been infinitely better if she would've acted like an adult (both of them for that matter) and come to the conclusion naturally that what they had was destroying each other.

/End Rant

I like how you had Buffy eventually stick up to Spike and hold nothing back about her being his wife; I also like how you showed that Riley has grown as a character and largely seems to be over her. He's such an easy target to go but after so long it becomes a matter of beating a dead horse.

Finally, and I think the most important, is you have Spike not taking crap from her. It took until Season 9 before the show finally had Spike saying "Enough is enough, I need to go figure out how to be my own person!" I look forward to how the rest of this plays out.
Saranac chapter 13 . 3/25/2014
I am thrilled I took a chance to look back at BtVS fanfiction. Years ago I had read nearly all the novel-length ones that dealt with Spike as a main character. That said I feel that at long last I have met another fanfiction author who shares my desire for creating an alternate reality without changing who the characters are at heart. As you mentioned you don't put much stock in the whole evil but can change theory. And with all the shooting scripts that were changed to make him more sympathetic to the audience?

"You know the truth about Spike is he is evil." -JM

The darker tones made it all the more real. When he jizzed on Buffy's face a part of me said "THANK YOU!" That is something I could see him doing. He isn't going to suddenly start seeing her in a new light and the part when he used Angel for a torture device was also very refreshing. When I read the part about him coming to her rescue at the motel I thought immediately that he would likely put her on a plane back to LA when they were done touring in NYC. Nice to see minds think alike.

The one problem I had was accepting that Buffy would come down with a case of Stockholm Syndrome that quickly. Spike I could see changing his colors in that amount of time but her it's a little more difficult to swallow. However you used three devices that I feel warranted that: One his rescue of her from her would-be rapists, a good reminder that humans can be just as ruthless as any supernatural monster. The second that she is weak and any attempt at escaping she may have taken earlier on couldn't happen. Three, and this is the most important one of all, he is making her feel normal. She isn't the slayer right now and she is seeing things could only dream of seeing. Furthermore she doesn't have any influential friends chanting "he's evil" 24/7. Throw the part in about seeing that inner part of him he keeps hidden away from everyone else and I can see her at least seeing him in a new light.

All of which I would have reviewed by this story's end. Then you brought up that poem by Lord Byron which demands an immediate response. I don't know if you knew this but he was much more than a poet but actually coined the phrase "Bryonic Hero." Whenever I think of Spike that is always what comes to mind.

Now, back to reading!
Meg chapter 73 . 3/23/2014
I am so glad I found this story! There's just endless amounts of Spuffy I've read and I really had Thot I had found everything worth reading until I found this. I loved it beginning to end and I really wish they would've hired u (and Barb C and maybe a little Nautibitz:) to write the end of the series. Sorry for the bad spelling/punct writing this on my phone before I go I to work :) just wanted to tell u kudos! And I can't wait to read more from u :)
sojuorsake chapter 31 . 2/15/2014
I do believe this is the first spuffy fic I've read where I'm totally on buffy's side, and I've read some whoppers. I'm a major spike fangirl but I just don't see how he and buffy could ever be together after all he's done. And so, I read on.
Muffy Winnetka chapter 13 . 10/16/2013
I love the way you've written this. The natural progression for their affection is just so amazing. The fact that he's still evil but can choose to be good is wonderful. The fact that he didn't have a complete 180 just because he loves Buffy is even better. He's still Spike! And the fact that you've written him that way is perfect to me. The whole idea of this story is perfect.

You write these guys so well. So perfectly. They feel so right.
Cheire chapter 1 . 9/19/2013
when I finished the story a day ago I've decide read it again.
Cheire chapter 47 . 9/17/2013
oh myGod! best spuffy I ever read.
midnightjen chapter 42 . 9/1/2013
This is simply amazing. You had me tearing up in parts and smiling in others. I so wish I could stay up all night to finish this! I adore how you write Spike so true to character and manage not to bash anyone. Brilliant story so far.
midnightjen chapter 13 . 9/1/2013
I love what you did here, the way Spike is gradually opening up and that Buffy is constantly teetering on the edge of accepting him. I can't wait to see Spike rocking back and forth between his natures as he tries to find a balance.
354 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »