Reviews for A Gem of a Soul
bloodamber chapter 72 . 8/18/2015
I really loved this story :) fully binge read it after stalking your stories since Ipsiety. I liked how you took Spike as he was, brutal, cruel and an actual 'big bad' and actually twisted him into some one good but with all the pit falls that made the story more believable and the relationship so much more real. Glad they got to have their happy ending :) I hope you remain proud of producing such an epic story!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/26/2015
Loved the story. So glad you altered "the body" every time I read a fanfic that includes that time line I bawl my eyes out. I'm also glad you wrote till the end of the series and some of season 5 angel. I get so frustrated when people write a spuffy piece and only do like 1 season or one story line even though you are left with the what if's of the rest of the story.
Guest chapter 73 . 7/1/2015
ONE OF THE BEST STORIES EVER WRITTEN!KEEP WRITING,PLEASE.
Cloongarvin chapter 72 . 6/27/2015
This was engrossing; I wanted to keep reading to the end to see how things would turn out. Many of the same elements as in canon, but the different way that Spike entered Buffy's life, and her different emotions at key junctures made the outcomes different. I especially liked the first third-or so of the story because I never quite bought that the crude, evil Spike of the first couple of seasons would have transformed as he did. But this story works through what such a transformation would take, and what it would be like in a way that I believe in it. And the slow, stuttering acceptance from Buffy makes decent sense too. Thank you for the work put into this story.
all forms of fluff chapter 73 . 3/18/2015
I have to say, its a mighty fine story. I am not sure I like it verry much though. It was great when it was angsty and in the 'will they, wont they' phase but after getting toether alot of what was apealing to me kinda fizzeled. More so after Spike got his soul. I know most of that wasn't your fault as you stuck pretty close to the source material but it seems like you peeked when Dawn and Joyce moved out of town. That is not to say that I didn't like the story after that point. It was well thought out and delivered in a nice package. It just didn't have that. "This story is over" feel that I thought it should have at the end. Now that you have hit the end of the television series I am almost unsure as to what you could put in the sequel that I know you have.

Well it dosn't matter becsue this story was well worth the read even if it was as satisfiying to me near the end. I would like to thank you for writing it. If for no other reason then the recemdations you have in the Author's Notes have set me on to other sites that will have Spuffy goodness. "D OK I'm off now one again Thank you for the story.
misuky7 chapter 73 . 1/11/2015
This story was one of a kind, a complete masterpiece. I stayed up really late and got up really early because it was that hard to put down.
OptimusPrimegirl213 chapter 1 . 12/17/2014
Nice work keep it all up and awesome
Jenndifurry chapter 9 . 9/7/2014
He lasted all of about .12 of this story before giving in. Jenn
Jenndifurry chapter 8 . 9/7/2014
As some one whose maternal grandparents were married in that temple. And have been to numerous temples since. You can only tour the grounds and the only time you can get into the actual temple is before the temple is (this isn't the right word but I can't think of it now) concencrated. In fact all pictures of a temple is before it is concencrated but the visiting center is famous and can be viewed by all.
cmtrent chapter 24 . 7/5/2014
Gahhhh. I can't beleive you did the episode with the Willow spell screw up. I just got excited thinking they were happily married. I still really, really,I mean really love the story :D.
EffulgentEllie chapter 73 . 5/13/2014
Loved the story. A bit slow in some places and then it would skip through others. The skipping didn't bother me since I'm a huge Buffy fan and followed along easily, but a divider would have been nice, so we knew when the story was changing scenes. All-in-all, loved it. On to part 2! :)
EffulgentEllie chapter 2 . 5/11/2014
I'm throughly enjoying this so far. I normally prefer specific POV fics, but you write so well and effortlessly change between the character's thoughts and dialects.
Saranac chapter 73 . 4/23/2014
That was fun!

Great job spuffy luvr. Joss always said that wherever Buffy was that is where Spike belongs. I know that given how both series ended didn't leave room for him to go with her but I like to think that as soon as he turned corporeal nothing would've stopped him from rejoining her.

Only problem is that he still needed to do some growing up, to become his own person. So I guess I'm 50/50 on that. The other bit, like we talked about earlier, is how well you're writing has improved. I'm particularly impressed by all the dialogue adjectives you made use of:

"She said serenly, he said flippantly, etc."

I really need to expand my vocabularly!

Great work, this is certainly a favorite of mine.
Saranac chapter 55 . 4/23/2014
Nice touch :-)

I always felt that yes in "As You Were", while Spike likely screwed up in canon, at this point in the show I doubt he would ever do anything truly evil. Far more likely a micommunication or misunderstanding, as was largely his entire relationship with Buffy all friggin season. Instead they took a detour back to season 2 - piss poor writing on the show's part that failed to further elaborate on the details behind what was happening.

Instead they focused the entire episode around Buffy feeling jealousy over Riley and Sam. Then there's the idea that Spike would adopt the codename "Doctor" for the job, the same demon who was responsible for what Spike felt like his biggest failure. All for the sake of spurring Buffy into dumping him. It would've been infinitely better if she would've acted like an adult (both of them for that matter) and come to the conclusion naturally that what they had was destroying each other.

/End Rant

I like how you had Buffy eventually stick up to Spike and hold nothing back about her being his wife; I also like how you showed that Riley has grown as a character and largely seems to be over her. He's such an easy target to go but after so long it becomes a matter of beating a dead horse.

Finally, and I think the most important, is you have Spike not taking crap from her. It took until Season 9 before the show finally had Spike saying "Enough is enough, I need to go figure out how to be my own person!" I look forward to how the rest of this plays out.
Saranac chapter 13 . 3/25/2014
I am thrilled I took a chance to look back at BtVS fanfiction. Years ago I had read nearly all the novel-length ones that dealt with Spike as a main character. That said I feel that at long last I have met another fanfiction author who shares my desire for creating an alternate reality without changing who the characters are at heart. As you mentioned you don't put much stock in the whole evil but can change theory. And with all the shooting scripts that were changed to make him more sympathetic to the audience?

"You know the truth about Spike is he is evil." -JM

The darker tones made it all the more real. When he jizzed on Buffy's face a part of me said "THANK YOU!" That is something I could see him doing. He isn't going to suddenly start seeing her in a new light and the part when he used Angel for a torture device was also very refreshing. When I read the part about him coming to her rescue at the motel I thought immediately that he would likely put her on a plane back to LA when they were done touring in NYC. Nice to see minds think alike.

The one problem I had was accepting that Buffy would come down with a case of Stockholm Syndrome that quickly. Spike I could see changing his colors in that amount of time but her it's a little more difficult to swallow. However you used three devices that I feel warranted that: One his rescue of her from her would-be rapists, a good reminder that humans can be just as ruthless as any supernatural monster. The second that she is weak and any attempt at escaping she may have taken earlier on couldn't happen. Three, and this is the most important one of all, he is making her feel normal. She isn't the slayer right now and she is seeing things could only dream of seeing. Furthermore she doesn't have any influential friends chanting "he's evil" 24/7. Throw the part in about seeing that inner part of him he keeps hidden away from everyone else and I can see her at least seeing him in a new light.

All of which I would have reviewed by this story's end. Then you brought up that poem by Lord Byron which demands an immediate response. I don't know if you knew this but he was much more than a poet but actually coined the phrase "Bryonic Hero." Whenever I think of Spike that is always what comes to mind.

Now, back to reading!