Reviews for The Serpentine Subterfuge
LLTIF chapter 14 . 3/27
Your series is amazing, I can't stop reading, making me stay up to ungodly hours of the night and get kind of depressed when I finish the "book", just glad there is third year to go. I haven't felt like this about a story for awhile. The story is very well written and thought out and not predictable.

I do have an account we are just having a disagreement righ now (won't let me login in from mobile device) the username is an anyone from above since it's too long to type in

Continuing writing,
~Living-Life-It's-Fullest
Ciekawa Osoba chapter 12 . 3/14
In the beginning of 13 (can't double review, so,)
"At first Rigel had thought Ginny meant letting some other sentient thing inside her head to take up residence there, and had rejected the idea because of the danger inherently present in such a solution,"

Was this foreshadowing, *over a book ahead*? :O
Ciekawa Osoba chapter 3 . 3/12
As a fit female myself, who remembers just starting out-would you be able to add just one word in, Violet? "Modified" pull-ups and push-ups. One with Harry's baseline fitness level would not be able to perform either, bare as they are, but there are "Muggle" machines to take a portion of your weight off, while still doing proper pull-up or chin-up form, and there are nigh-endless push-up variations, starting with push-ups against a wall, then on the ground on your knees instead of your feet, then the "normal" push-up, and there are further, more difficult variations.
It's just, it seemed like you were going for realism, and on this reread, I couldn't let it slide without saying something. It's hard (to, and during the) start out, and portraying it as easier than it is, rubbed me the wrong way.
I hope you take no offense! I don't mean to poke rudely or callously.
kimchi759 chapter 14 . 2/22
Hm. Well. I mean, it's not exactly subconsciously distrusting Draco, since Harry's magic has got a mind of its own, right? Annnd you addressed it later in the chapter with Snape. Never mind, hahaha.
But Snape is being so obstinant! If magic isn't sentient, how does Harry get magical cores of other people to let him in after he asks?
On another note, This is bad. I'm in danger. I'm starting to think Rosier is endearing, not just like him. Oh no. You're not going to kill him off, are you?
Another.Professional.Tragedist chapter 14 . 2/22
I love love love this series! Read the 2 so far in 1 day.
Now on to the next.
The only thing I have with it is this- if in this AU they only accept purebloods, then why is Snape there?
I love him but he is a half-blood so yeah. :o
Apart from that, perfect 3
kimchi759 chapter 13 . 2/22
Smh. Sometimes, or nearly all the time, Rigel can be incredibly dense. Also, unobservant. Blaise would've noticed bits and pieces a while back. But I suppose it's all part of Rigel's multifaceted, condtradicting charm.
I did want to point out that disliking touch is not always linked to abuse. It can just be an idiosyncratic aversion, and doesn't have to be 'fixed'.
And oooh, baby sister! Another reason to make sure Riddle doesn't get his way.
In a previous chapter, Harry recalled there being bad blood between James and Severus particularly because Severus had 'prior claim' on Lily, or something like that. Why is Harry so surprised by Snape and Lily's interaction now?
Also, I don't think Harry's actually horrible verbally speaking, but her verbal skills were at canon!1st-yr-Neville's level when speaking with Parvati. Oi vey. Parvati wasn't exactly being sensible (eg the hypocritical "Someone else to make everything okay?"), but Rigel kinda said all the wrong things.
That aside, is there a shortage of mandraka root? Why isn't the petrification being dealt with?
On yet another note, Alesana dressing down Parvati was the best (or at least the most satisfying) part of this chapter. Rigel never stands up for herself, just her potions and her friends. So yeeees to irritated Slytherin Head Girl chewing Parvati out.
Side note: Edmund and Alesana are precious and deserve their own story, even if it's just a one shot, if you ever have the time or inclination.
kimchi759 chapter 12 . 2/22
Good old Weasley Twins. Their genius goes ignored far too often, I tell you.
I was snickering while imagining the reaction of Lucius or Tom to being told parselmouth was being spoken to amuse children, or make them feel more comfortable around it. The indignity!
And again, THE TWINS. They would be invaluable to any political campaign, especially a smear campaign.
And Luna! And oh my goodness, I forgot about Flint. I wonder what he thinks of this sub being able to speak parseltongue.
I love the little ironic bits you put in here and there, too. Like when Draco suggested being mauled by a hippogriff or when Snape thanked Hary for not keeping the info to himself. L-o-l.
Also wondering...I almost wanted to say Aldon had unrequited feelings for Rookwood, but now I'm getting vibes of interest towards Rigel. Or does he suspect...? Naahh. I think he wants her. I just can't tell if the feelings are genuine or if they're based on curiosity. Or is he just curious is seeing her (and everyone else around her) reactions? Too bad Rigel is uninterested, either way. Poor kid. He seems to be lacking anything close to a healthy relationship in his life. Though, maybe his friendship with Edmund comes close? Eeeh.
CACKLING at Blaise's verbal blunder.
And intrigued by your author's note, though I can't help but wonder what Leo's doing atm.
kimchi759 chapter 10 . 2/22
And baffled and fascinated by Rigel's innocence despite the jokes he must have been exposed to growing up and the ones he uses every now and then. Then again, I guess...Lily? Huh. At least it's funny for us when he's so adorably clueless. I was snickering through the scarring sex scene. And smirking through Aldon's semi-apology, though... I don't know. I think I like Aldon much more than Rigel seems to, because he might be one of my favorites. Which says a lot about me. Smh. On the other hand, Caelum is such a nice name... :( Nurture and nature did not combine in the best of ways for that kid.
Moving on... This part: "Secrets were meant to be ferreted out, after all, and besides that they were friends. They just wanted to know, not blackmail him or anything." Heavy sighing over here. The naïveté of children. Sometimes it's better not to know, than risk so much trying to find out.
And uhhh...she's not...menarche? Because that would suck. Annnnd it was.
On a different note, thanks as always for writing and sharing.
kimchi759 chapter 9 . 2/22
I adored this chapter.
First of all, I was cackling at Krait's reaction to finding out about Harriet. Cackling. Secondly, I thoroughly enjoyed the bit of verbal sparring between Leo and Harry. I was torn between feeling threatened on Harry's behalf by Leo's nosiness, and amused by the clashing of quick tongues, and enthused by Leo's loyalty and their growing bond. Third, what is your type Harry?! I may be more attached to this semi-OC than you are, sadly. Fourth, it's easy to forget what a huge part Hermione played until you hit the research scenes. IT'S SALAZAR'S BASILISK! Fifth, I have to admit I was definitely snickering as I imagined Regulus and Sirius being awkwardly thrown together. I always liked the possibilities of Regulus' murky character, and the happy family interaction, as brief as it was, was beautiful. :') Last but not least, I was taken by surprise by the revelation in the last scene. I had been trying to think of a way Riddle had orchestrated the whole thing only to find out...hrm.

Thanks for writing and sharing!
kimchi759 chapter 8 . 2/22
Oh dear. Everything is getting so tangled up it's getting hard to keep track of who's going to be pretending to be who and who's going to be who later on. It seems like Archie and Harry are almost sacrificing their family, or at least parts of what family used to be to them. :/ Poor babies.
kimchi759 chapter 7 . 2/22
That nightmare was surprising, but I like how you're developing the 'Silver Three'. Worried about the parselmouth thing biting her in the arse when it could be such a great advantage, but I guess we'll see.
kimchi759 chapter 6 . 2/22
Hermione's relationship is a lot like what I imagine a friendship between a Time-traveler!Hermione and young Sirius might be like, though Archie is much more outwardly bubbly than I imagine Sirius would've been.
kimchi759 chapter 5 . 2/22
Really enjoyed this chapter. Blaise is a slippery one, and I'd be wary of him until we know we can trust him, but his observations are usually unnervingly astute. Ooo, and the discussion with Snape was great for the relationships and bonding side of things, even if it does make the whole keeping secrets thing more difficult.
kimchi759 chapter 4 . 2/22
First of all, I am a fan of Leo. Huge fan.
Secondly, I loved the section concerning light and dark magic.
Third, I was surprused to have the parselmouth thing come out willingly, considering it's Harry's thing, but I guess we'll see how you plan to work that in. The irony of her being a half-blood while the others talk about her power and idiosyncrasies being of blood significance...kudos.
Thanks for writing and sharing!
kimchi759 chapter 3 . 2/22
One of the few qualms I have with your series is the almost black-and-whiteness of the characters. For example, this is AU, so it's fine that Pansy is so very different from her canon counterpart, but it seems as if she has nothing in common either. I wish you had parts here and there that alluded or even showcased her and everyone's elses flaws, as their characters seem...too pretty. Does that make sense? Urgh. It seems like we get tastes of the less desirable traits of some characters, but we never really see them being or acting ugly. You could say that their Slytherins, but they're also children, and also human. Ugliness is expected. And Pansy...well, I love her because she's so precious, but she seems more like a perfect OC that was given Pansy's name. Daphne's petty childishness seemed closer to canon!Pansy.
On a side note: ASDFGHJKL. Is Lily pregnant?!
1,237 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »