Reviews for To The Ends Of Middle Earth
Hiro-tyre chapter 10 . 1/31/2003
uhhhh... WHoohoo for the undead legolas, but does this mean that they burned Legolas alive in the first ending? *shudder*
wellduh chapter 10 . 1/25/2003
Honestly, I prefer the second ending. The first one seemed to leave an incomplete feeling...it's to hard to imagine Legolas, always so happy and lively, dead! And you were right- Legolas' reaction after he woke up was original.
Sirithiliel chapter 10 . 1/5/2003
I like this one alot better! Much better than when he dies, that was so sad! Very good! TIme to read the sequel.
Guest chapter 9 . 1/3/2003
i can't believe i'm crying over some fiction
Carrie S chapter 10 . 12/5/2002
Jay-

You asked me some time ago to check out your stories, and I apologize at the horribly long delay! I can be a bit of a lurker sometimes, and it is a really bad habit that I am trying to break.

I know the nervousness that comes at writing one's first fanfiction. I felt the same when I wrote my first...and as I wrote more and improved, I looked back at it and was so disgusted with what I had written that I removed it, along with some other earlier ones of mine.

But this story was absolutely beautiful. I could never bring myself to actually kill any of the characters. I had the oppurtunity to kill Aragorn in my how Legolas and Aragorn met story (when paths cross), and one of the reviewers actually suggested it, for some change...but I just couldn't! I love to torture them, yes, but to kill them...*sniffs*

For that, I must say that you are a much braver author than I! Even though I was greatly saddened at the death of Legolas-it happened so quickly, I had to reread the chapter several times to grasp what had gone on! I just couldn't believe it!-I would have to say that I enjoyed the original ending much better. All through it, I wanted you to bring him back...

but that was the expected, and it wouldn't have had the same effect on me. Don't get me wrong-I loved to see how you changed it and brought him back to life (especially loved the last bickering between Legolas and Gimli, about teaching Eldarion how to chop firewood with Gimli's axe, LOL), but I really loved how you handled Legolas' death. Tears actually came to my eyes as they all were remembering him, and the imagery you used was magnificent. I admire you for breaking away from the expected and doing that, especially for your first fanfiction too!

Bravo.

And I hope this longish review makes up for my delay in reading your work! I really missed out on something...but I'm so glad I found it. This story is going on my favorites list, and I am heading off now to at last read the rest of your work!

Keep up the excellent writing!
Kal the Magnificent chapter 10 . 12/4/2002
K, reviews for two chapters:

9: He's really dead! I can't belive it! You really, actually, honest-to-dunno-what killed him! This wasn't a better ending to the story! I liked the real one better. Having said that, I think this was beautifully written.

10: He's not dead! I like this ending better than the last one. It was much funnier (more funny?), especially with Gimli and Legolas talking at the end.

Hugs and Cookies )
Kal the Magnificent chapter 4 . 11/26/2002
*gasps in shock* Erm, this certainly is a different ending. YOU KILLED HIM YOU KILLED HIM YOU KILLED HIM YOU KILLED HIM! He's not really dead, right? Tell me he isn't dead. Please, for the little sanity I have left!

Hugs and Cookies )
koala chapter 10 . 11/19/2002
I quite liked your story (actually found it by chance). Maybe your second ending to the story is, at least when looking at the book (appendix), the better one; I mean Tolkin says in the appendix to TROTK that Legolas and Gimli both depart to the undying lands after Aragorns death. Disregarding Tolkin however, I really liked the original ending!
PuterPatty chapter 10 . 10/17/2002
Okay, I like the second ending much better. It's true to the canon in the long run, but more importantly LEGOLAS IS ALIVE!

Both were really good. But I just couldn't function properly is my favorite elf was truly dead.

Great story and you can bet I'll be along to Mission to Dol Guldur soon.
PuterPatty chapter 6 . 10/16/2002
What a charming synopsis of Legolas' and Gimli's friendship and pre-friendship. I really liked the details you filled in between. Great!

I'm really tired, so I'll be back to finish this story tomorrow and hopefully get a good start on your others! Yay for days off!
PuterPatty chapter 5 . 10/10/2002
Ai, Valar. I was going to wait til the very last chapter to review, but after that last chapter, how can I? That was simply beautiful! I loved your tale of how Aragorn and Legolas met. And the fact that Thranduil and Elrond wanted to arrange a marriage for Legolas and Arwen is quite amusing. Clever you! But what really moved me to review was the last bit about how Gollum escaped.

"'He died hard.' He gaze became distant, unable to escape from the image burned in his memory of his friend's mutilated body. He repeated softly, 'He died hard.'"

Oh my Eru. How much angst can one pack into three little words-he died hard? Seriously, I didn't even know this elf and I had a tear in my eye. Amazing, Jay, amazing!

Okay, I have to go read more. I knew you really didn't kill Legolas. Perhaps he is only half dead, or maybe mostly dead. Where is Miracle Max when you need him?
Ithildin chapter 2 . 9/16/2002
I WANT MONEY!
Ithildin chapter 1 . 9/16/2002
Ok, I'm reading this. I have one thing to say (though I am little better) BITCH!

You killed Legolas!

So did I...I am crazy.
GreyLadyBast chapter 10 . 9/10/2002
Well, I just finished the story, and I must say, I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's a bit difficult to decided which ending I prefer. The original is sad, poignant, and more in keeping with the rest of the story. But it's AU, which I'm not a very big fan of. The second ending has a touch of the old Deus Ex Machina, for all it's a believable version of it, but more importantly, you don't kill off Legolas in it. Personally, I think you should simply leave them both up, and let the reader choose according to mood.

Thanks for such a wonderful story, btw.
Little My chapter 10 . 9/10/2002
OK, my head is telling me the original ending is best, but my heart likes the alternative better!

Your original just fits better - and it is nice to see a natural conclusion, rather that some divine intervention that swoops in and saves the day. But the alternative ending is also well-written, and done with a minimum of fuss, and satifies my desire for the not-dead resolution.

Well done, and thanks for posting both endings.
124 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »