Reviews for To The Ends Of Middle Earth
Ithildin chapter 1 . 9/16/2002
Ok, I'm reading this. I have one thing to say (though I am little better) BITCH!

You killed Legolas!

So did I...I am crazy.
GreyLadyBast chapter 10 . 9/10/2002
Well, I just finished the story, and I must say, I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's a bit difficult to decided which ending I prefer. The original is sad, poignant, and more in keeping with the rest of the story. But it's AU, which I'm not a very big fan of. The second ending has a touch of the old Deus Ex Machina, for all it's a believable version of it, but more importantly, you don't kill off Legolas in it. Personally, I think you should simply leave them both up, and let the reader choose according to mood.

Thanks for such a wonderful story, btw.
Little My chapter 10 . 9/10/2002
OK, my head is telling me the original ending is best, but my heart likes the alternative better!

Your original just fits better - and it is nice to see a natural conclusion, rather that some divine intervention that swoops in and saves the day. But the alternative ending is also well-written, and done with a minimum of fuss, and satifies my desire for the not-dead resolution.

Well done, and thanks for posting both endings.
Laeglass chapter 10 . 9/7/2002
I cannot say I did not enjoy your latest ending. It brought a smile to my face rather than the tears your previous one had brought. I love your writting.
TreeHugger chapter 10 . 9/7/2002
Jay! You felt guilty and changed the ending? Because you made us all CRY? This was a very nice, happy ending, but you shouldn't change your story to please us. They were both very good. I admit I was shocked that you had killed him, but others have as well. I liked that he lived in this one and it is nice to "choose" which ending you want to read, but they are both very good. But I admit that I liked the first one better. Very strange of me to say that, but it was a beautiful ending, the imagery is still in my head! But that is just my humble, crazed opinion. Thank you for the choice. I know about the guilt over killing characters, even though they were my own. Beautful story either way! Thanks so much for giving it to us!

Elenath sila erin le!
Lirenel chapter 10 . 8/31/2002
thank you thank you thank you! Thank you for bringing him back! I myself killed Legolas in one of my stories, but it was in preparation for the sequel in which he comes back. I prefer the version where he lives just cause i love my elf. Keep writing stories like this!
Ecri chapter 10 . 8/29/2002
Hi...I just now stumbled onto your story, and I read it straight through. It was truly well-written. I loved the way the characters related to each other, especially Gimli and Legolas.

I admire you, and the others, who write LOTR fic. I've written fan fic for most of my life, but never had the nerve to write LOTR fic. Who knows. Maybe I'll give it a try. You've inspired me.

I like the revised ending, myself, but I think that's because I hate it when characters get killed off.

BTW, I always thought Legolas and Arwen should have been there when Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Elrond, and Gladriel all left, too!
Ithilien chapter 10 . 8/27/2002
Thank you for trying. I think you are right though - I like the first ending better. It follows the emotional flow better. But I do appreciate your effort to appease people like me. I was rather harsh before, and I apologize. After I wrote that last review, I thought perhaps you hadn't known what an AU was (alternative universe) or that it would have been fair to note it to the audience. I know some people won't even *read* AU's because they simply despise changes in canon. I hope you understand now what I was trying to say. Personally, I'm okay with AU's and I can take character deaths, but only if I have a clue they are coming -AU says it all. Thanks for giving me back Legolas.
ccg chapter 10 . 8/27/2002
Wow. This was a wonderful story. I liked the second ending better..but only because I love happy endings and Legolas is one of my favourite characters. I just *could not* deal with the fact that you'd *killed* him! *sniffle*

I also liked that you had Legolas just wake up and not know what happened to him. You're the first person I've ever seen do that. I've nothing against stories that have him being "lost in some sort of Limbo", they are interesting. But I did like that you took a different route with this story. Which you did at the beginning by killing Legolas (sortof).

OTOH, your orginal ending fits and is *extremely* well-written. The descriptions and characterisations are perfect!

Thank you for writing this wonderful story. I would say more but it's past 1am and I have to get up early tomorrow morning. I fully intend to check out your other story when I get the chance.
Guest chapter 10 . 8/27/2002
this is really good! the first ending was soooo sad! u got me sniffling!
oldenufftonobetter chapter 1 . 8/27/2002
Dear Jay,

Bravo, bravo, (sound of clapping), your first foray into the realm of fan-fic has been nothing short of, amazing.I note that some of my all time favourite authors have been in contact with you. They will have all of the appropriate words with which to encourage you, I am just a humble reader, and wish to thank you for all of your hard work. I shall look for your work in the future. Keep up the marvellous work.

Best wishes from,

Lamia2 chapter 10 . 8/27/2002
I just finished reading... Yay, Legolas is alive! I'm ecstatic that you decided to bring im backt o life... You are right, the first version did ... work. It flows, no matter how sad it was (we're talking around nine tissues here... nine!), it worked with everything that happened beforehand, and it just makes more sense technically. HOWEVER... I'm a huge fan of happy endings, and Legolas is my favourite LOTR character (along with Aragorn), so I'm really glad that you decided to bring him back. That was really interesting what you did, having him wake up all flustered and confused. A delightful departure from all the serious stuff (though it's good too), and it injects some humour into an otherwise serious situation. Though the whole technicality of it all is a bit jumbled... So he was in shock the whole time? Oh well, as long as he's alive, it doesn't matter how. Great story, and both endings were great.

Gimli der Zwerg chapter 10 . 8/27/2002
I actually like both endings- the first is more believable but the second more satisfactory. I liked the little flash back stories, and teh idea of Legolas's fear of caves was brilliant, very sharp perception there!

Keep writing

-Gimli der Zwerg
Vanessa2 chapter 10 . 8/27/2002
I definitely prefer this version. I hated it that you killed Legolas. It was a good story...but I was heartbroken at the end...I coulnd't stand the thought that Legolas was dead...this version is much better
JastaElf chapter 10 . 8/27/2002
Oh, Jay! He's alive! (grin)

OK, I have to admit, I like the original ending just a tiny bit better, because it remains true to the story as you originally intended it. But having said that, I can also say this is a well-written alternative. That Legolas has no recollection of what happened is actually consistent with what I've read of lightning-related injuries. And yes, it avoids the anxiety of "a character we love" wandering alone and unable to get back to their body - which is a fine metric for a tale, but is different from where you have seemed to been going from the start with this tale.

I enjoy your writing style, and of course you have Legolas and Gimli down just perfectly. ("Practised, yes. Are they any good at it yet?" I love it...) Thanks for offering us the chance to choose between endings!
127 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »