Reviews for I've Been Prayin' But Seems Like Ain't Nobody Ther
Somebody chapter 1 . 10/28/2012
I first read Life in the Fast Lane, then read all the epilepsy 'verse stories. As someone with epilepsy since age 5 I have to say it intrigued me.
It is very well written, writing a seizure is hard and yet you manage to portray what is happening and how everyone's feeling. All the research you did and the effort in showing what you learned shows incredibly in the writing, what the whole family feels and how they deal with it Jhon seeing it as something physical that should be hunted when it is simply a condition, not even a handicap but a condition, giving him something to hunt, something easy ( or maybe possible is a better word) to fix rather than dealing with the fact that like many other conditions it isn't something to fix, rather something to accept and Dean as always acting like the parent he isn't ( or is ) and actually dealing with, being the one to know what to do and learn what he needs to learn and dealing with how Sam feels about it just as much as the seizures themselves. How Sam's confined and how that affects him ( that was dead on by the way) as well as how Jhon's attitude of finding a cure rather than manning up and dealing with it only assures Sam that something's wrong with him, that he has a 'faulty brain' and that he's a liability which not only isn't true but is not a way any child should feel.
I'm not sure why I have to put this as well but it's been nagging at me, Ive actually thought about reviewing this a couple of days.
The only thing that kind of didn't sit well with me was why it makes Sam such a liability in hunts. Some epileptic have triggers, others like myself do not but the medication is usually fairly good at controlling seizures. Epilepsy awareness is spreading and for the most part people with epilepsy have a fairly normal life. ( normal for Sam meaning he could spar and hunt not to mention do research..driving I'm not sure of as each case is different) but it's not like it'll increase his chances of a seizure.
They would happen, and it would suck, but he can play soccer, they should encourage him to not be embarrassed by this. Not make it seem as though it's something he should keep hidden like a shameful secret.
The worse part about epilepsy is that people think you can't do anything, that it's a handicap. They treat you like you're made of glass when in truth you're more than capable of doing things anyone can do. A hit to the head is bad for for everyone much like a high fever, epileptic people are simply more likely to seize than others under normal circumstances, it isn't a sure thing. If he gets his meds right and gets seizure control he would not be...so useless. He would be a good hunter, he would have his limitations but who doesn't. I guess a part of me wanted Sam to rise to the occasion and show that he can surpass this, that it will not define him, that he will not be one of those people who let it define them, that he is more than capable of achieving his goals ( be they to become a hunter or a lawyer )
It's a bit sad that he doesn't. Seeing as Sam was more than stubborn enough to dig his way out of hunting and towards Standford.
This may be a bit of a biased thing as I was often told I couldn't swim or sleep over at friends or do martial arts.
I learned to swim at a normal age, as long as I was seen it was fine, I lived right by the beach so it was just as dangerous to not teach me how to swim ( which I want to smack Jhonny boy upside the head because 'hi daddy winchester if you're gonna take your kids cross country from state to state you think it might be a good idea to teach them how to swim just in case they fall in a lake?'...then again Jhon being Jhon would not realize this so its actually pretty good characterization)
I also won 3 trophies in a tournament and got a brown belt, which when people tell me I can't spar makes me want to show them and go 'Yeah well HAH!'
As I said before Epilepsy Awareness is spreading and people are realizing that we are not simply a condition that we can do things everyone else can. We are showing them, by working for what we want like everyone else and achieving goals, overcoming things.
Too bad Sammy will not be an epileptic hunter. To be honest it would have been kind of cool a nicer portrayal of epilepsy than a sad little boy who never gets to do anything, who never does anything. Epileptic people are at any place you might find other people, they have lives jobs, go to school, play sports have friends, go to college play on bands, mountain climb. They might even join the circus if they want to. Point I'm trying to make being they are more than capable of doing things other people can do. This is the first Epilepsy Sam fic I've read, it would have been kinda cool if he, like many other people with epilepsy overcame it and wasn't seen as faulty or a liability.
At any rate this is something half-personal opinion/feeling.
Back to the fic/fics your writing is just brilliant. How you show the scenes, the characters, how it just flows. Your writing is incredible I can't wait to read more. Your talent is evident and I hope to read more of your work soon. Sam knowing the shifter ( in another if the 'verse's fics) wasn't lying about his father's thoughts. Dean handling it like any parent angry at people's ignorance and lectures that drive friends away. Caring and overbearing like only a big brother can be. Jhon either driving away to escape to find something he can hunt or fumbling because he knows less than Dean about taking care of Sam. And Sam still having that temper flaring up at times and just saying 'it's not fair' arguing it to the point that he falls asleep.
All in all, brilliant work. Very talented writing.
SnowflakeMelodies chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
Wow, first of all let me say you definitely have talent for writing. I've read a few of your stories already but have yet to review, and I'm definitely impressed. It's difficult trying to wade through a bunch of really bad fanfictions trying to find a well-written one, so I was really glad to find you. :)

You portray all your characters' emotions really well, and although you feature plenty of suffering Sammy it's not just plotless, random suffering. You build it up well.

I also like how you go so much more into the emotions towards Sam's epilepsy, rather than just writing about the actual seizure and leaving it at that.

I really like your writing and wish I could write as well as you! Recently, due to school, I've hardly had any time for writing. :( The difference between my amount of freetime in 9th grade and now in 10th grade is crazy. DX

Anyway, I loved this story and will definitely be reading more!
superatea chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
So sad. I loved.
AlElizabeth chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Awww. Poor Sammy- just wantin' to be normal. I can understand John's fear though. Dean's such an awesome big brother though. Keep up the great work!
bookworm324 chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
So sad! I just love these sort of stories. So sad...
maipigen chapter 1 . 7/1/2012
...i truly love your writing style, and since i love angst too it is even more brilliant. i hope your new baby (congrats!) leave you time to write more in either this verse or the whiskeyverse
Jimelda chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
I am really enjoying the epilepsy 'verse and this latest instalment was no exception. It's great to see Dean looking after Sam no matter what - even if Sam isn't too happy about it; Dean has always got his brother's best interests at heart. Nicely done.

Cheers,

Jimelda
Madebyme chapter 1 . 6/25/2012
I'm so pleased to see another instalment of the seizure verse, Yay!

This fic was full of angst but I loved how supportive and protective both John and Dean are, wanting to help Sam and find a cure, giving him hope even though it's hard for Sam to accept.

And I loved how Dean is still stuck in the middle of an arguing Sam and John, understanding both of their positions. Some things never change I guess!

Lovely stuff and thanks so much for writing and sharing. Take care, :)
CeCe Away chapter 1 . 6/25/2012
*"I don't want Dad to get hurt but he goes and hunts monsters. I just want to play soccer."*

Ah, Sam, ever the lawyer. Love that he said this.

The whole story hits the core and helpless frustration of having to live with something like epilepsy. Nicely written per your usual.
BranchSuper chapter 1 . 6/24/2012
Good story.
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 6/24/2012
Another great story in this very, sensitively and inteligently written you have all the characterisations spot on. Can imagine John researching to find a cure for Sam but can also see how 'maybe next year' frustrates Sam as he wants to just do something normal that other kids do and his stubborn streak kicks in as he says he wouldn't care if he had a fit, he just wants to play soccer. And we all know how true Dean's words are, that Sam would be mortified if he had a fit on the pitch in front of everyone. Loved how you had Sam warn Dean how he felt weird before the fit hit him and Dean pulling over and helping his brother as best he can through it. And my heart ached for Sammy at the end, leaning on Dean's shoulder and quietly crying until he fell asleep on the way back to the motel.

I can't get enough of your writing, it's amazing. Hope you have more stories posted soon :)
Steliyana chapter 1 . 6/24/2012
Hi, Menthol Pixie! : )

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed this story. It's really incredible. I love the brotherly moments and how you kept San and Dean in character. You portrait Dean actions and thoughts perfectly especially the worried Dean. Just like in the series. It's so sweet to read stories about childhood of the brothers. To be completely honest, I just adore all your fictions about epileptic Sammy. You describe the situations so good and it helps the readers to feel the vibe and the emotion. Thank you for that. I'm looking forward to read your next story.

Best wishes,

Yana
SpazticTwitchNinja chapter 1 . 6/23/2012
Oh man I thought it was painful enough hearing Sam talk about how unfair everything was and how waiting for a cure was worse than knowing there'd never be one.

Then you had to go and end it with him crying. Bullet to the heart is what that was.

I feel bad for how hard John and Dean are trying for Sam, too.
Buckeye mom chapter 1 . 6/23/2012
I am loving this verse. All of them are trying so hard to deal with this, but John and Dean aren't really helping by holding out (probable) false hope for a cure. I really enjoy all of your writing and hopr to see more of this verse.
Sparkiebunny chapter 1 . 6/23/2012
Beautiful and touching, as are all of your stories, in this verse and in general! Wonderful writing! :)