Reviews for Language of Love?
Apl9662 chapter 12 . 3/7
Just read the complete story, all 12 chapters. As a non native speaker the language you used was sometimes a real challenge for me, also because of the medical vocabulary. But I really like the idea of Martin, scaresly speaking, constantly using his inner voice. Apparently, he also speaks to James Henry, the only human being who seems to understand him. The titles are really in line with the content of the chapter. Was there any particular reason to use french for the titles? I hope you find the time to add another chapter soon.
Chapin chapter 12 . 8/24/2013
This is quite masterful. Mr. Granst is simply Martin in microsm and this cannot be lost on Martin. Nor can Martin fail to realize that the reality he is expressing is the reality he needs to understand. Really amazing work and the working out of this story over time is something that we anticipate without a sense of prediction. Take your time and we will enjoy the journey.
Guest chapter 12 . 8/23/2013
Please don't apologize for the length of a chapter. The longer the better. The more we have to read and enjoy.

Your focus on the Doc and his interior voice is an admirable attempt at showing us how much he escapes into his medicine, and avoiding messy human emotions.

I applaud your work here, either because you are a medical person who knows this stuff, or for your research that must be painstaking and then adding it in to a fiction story about a character we find so enigmatic.

Looking forward to the next chapter. Thank you!
dorgenois chapter 12 . 8/23/2013
This chapter is quite informative, it's interesting to me that the last time we had a chapter from you it was all about Bert's minor gwidgygwee. Something the Doc could naturally handle with ease, however, this diagonsis is life-threatening and the Doc had to withstand a thorough dressing down in order to make clear to this patient that he is very ill. That is what I like about Dr. Ellingham, he will take all the trash-talk you can dish out and still treat and care for you to the best of his ability (which is considerable). He did not want that young man to leave, yet, it is hard to find physcians who care like the Doc these days. You mentioned in your A/N that Martin Clunes brilliantly created and portrays this character and he does, if only more real doctors were like this character. I love this chapter, I hate that a young patient has such a serious and life threatening disease, but we know that if Doc Ellingham has anything to do with it he will get the best care possible. You make us think, although these stories are written basically to enterain, sometimes real life sneaks into them.

As always you facinate us and engage our little grey cells. Thank you
Snowsie2011 chapter 12 . 8/23/2013
As always, a very well written chapter. I've listened to my share of aortic murmurs, but have never known them described as "seagull murmur". Maybe you can offer CME's with each chapter?

I look forward to your next installment.
robspace54 chapter 12 . 8/23/2013
An interesting exam and explanation! Now if surfer dude's words have any affect on the GP it will be a fair trade!
Guest chapter 11 . 8/3/2013
Dear Dr M,

I appreciate that you've come back to this story. I started it as long ago as you wrote it and have now had the pleasure to re-read it, with a whole new set of eyes and a bit of brain to match. You have challenged my intellect with a vocabulary rarely seen today, while entertaining with folklore and Cornish terminology that I find fascinating since my visit there last year. And your use of other languages is interesting as I work with English language learners and sometimes intercept a sentence or phrase in their own language and rely somewhat on Google Translate to help me understand what my 4 years of high school Latin doesn't sort for me.
The degree to which you've taken the medical-ese in this last chapter is a bit much, though I've enjoyed it up to that point. I also worry you may have lost the thread a bit as you withdrew from the smartphone configuration story in it as well. But maybe, I am just impatient as I really liked the story and how it was playing out in Doc's head up to the surfer emergency. I realize you will probably get back to it, or work it around to be revealed in later chapters in some other inventive way.
While I realize the erudition needed to easily read this story may keep some readers away, I look forward to more challenges to my reasonably well-educated brain which still loves learning-especially while reading of my favorite Doc!
Thank you for what you have written as well as for what I look forward to reading!
D Charles chapter 11 . 8/1/2013
When I first read the Language of Love it took me a little while to get into it. I know the description said "humor/ romance I wanted to get to that part so I kept reading. It was very rewarding and I am glad I stuck with it. Now we have another chapter and it is also very medically engrossing. I feel I am going to become very familiar with the internal workings of the body, and learn the names and functions of each vessel, vein, and cell. I was mesmerized by the sheer volumn of medical speak, the homespun wisdom of Bert and the complete comprehension and appreciation of that wisdom by the Doc. It is because of who Bert was going on about that the Doc found himself unable to stop him. I love learning new things from the pleasure of reading and I want you to know am I learning a lot from you. Thank you for your unique approach to writing and the magnificent way you regale us with it.
robspace54 chapter 11 . 7/29/2013
Hey Doc... Wow. Injury response cascade to the fore. Just the way Martin's mind works.

Bert the philosopher strikes again. And thank you for the vocabulary lesson!

Great chapter.
fanficfan71 chapter 11 . 7/29/2013
Sometimes Bert comes out with valuable advice, let's hope Martin takes it on board. Nice chapter.
Boots1980 chapter 11 . 7/28/2013
Nunquam oporta inculpatus cruento effundo.
Snowsie2011 chapter 11 . 7/28/2013
Entertaining and educational. I'll have to remember the Cornish word for "blood blister" (also called a gwidgy-gwee) the next time I see one.
fanficfan71 chapter 10 . 3/25/2013
That's certainly not something you hear every day. Lucky the Doc questioned him further. Great chapter.
Chapin chapter 10 . 3/24/2013
Mountain Oysters on the half shell. Yumm!
Boots1980 chapter 10 . 3/23/2013
Thank you for your warning of things to come through the chaper's title. Our sensibilities may have been assaulted a bit with the description of various forms of the herpes virus, ram castration, exsanguination, and pig latin, but your exchange among Doc, Morwenna and Eddie Tars was so well-written that we barely noticed the need for an antiemetic.
52 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »