Reviews for Glacial Fire
Aziethe chapter 53 . 1/25/2017
I've had a few hours to reflect on the ending.

I feel-bruised. I longed so much for Shepard to get what she wanted, as well as what she needed.

I keep thinking back to the points where their paths could have branched, but didn't, because Murieall couldn't change enough. I guess the point of no return must have been in Anderson's apartment, where Liara was still trying to connect and Shepard had promised to accept her, but just couldn't.

I wondered, would I have been happier if Liara had died by Shepard's side? Or if she'd lived, but without Traynor?

Part of me knows that Liara has to survive and has to have a future to look forward to, since she represents the lives and futures of everyone that Shepard's sacrifice has saved, and how much Shepard has changed by being able to let her go. But it still-hurts.

I know that Murieall would've found it difficult to live during the peace and reconstruction phase to follow, but I don't know. Part of me was still hoping for it. Ridiculous, I know. They never even had the blue babies conversation; Liara gave that up, for her.

At least now her suffering is over. I suppose at least she had Tali. Maybe once I'm done grieving for Murieall I can somehow bring myself to feel happy for Traynor.

Did you always intend this to follow the classical lines of a tragedy, or were there ever any other endings you were tempted to take?
Aziethe chapter 54 . 1/25/2017
Even though this was the ending I expected it was not the one I wanted. But I suppose anything else would have been unrealistic.

Thank you for this amazing fic and your fascinating interpretations of the characters, especially your Shepard. I know I'm going to have to reread this at some point.

You might also want to mark it as complete, as I originally was nervous that it had been abandoned due to the meta data.
Aziethe chapter 35 . 1/25/2017
I love that instead of a goofy party and fanfictiony celebration we get Shepard smashing a piano. Fits the ME3 experience so much better than the actual dlc.
Aziethe chapter 50 . 1/25/2017
Reading this was agonising. I love your Shepard so much it hurts. I can't wait for them to be together again but knowing what's coming I dread it also. I can't see many of them surviving the fight to come.
Aziethe chapter 26 . 1/25/2017
Omg you are such a tease! Good on Traynor for standing up for herself. Against both of them now.

This ship is like crack, I can't get enough of it. I loved the way you resolved Rannoch.
Aziethe chapter 16 . 1/25/2017
Oh my god. I want to keep reading but I have to go to bed. The relationship between liara and Traynor is so beautiful but I'm glad they're just friends. At least someone is looking out for Liara. I can't wait to see what happens after Thessia.
Aziethe chapter 12 . 1/25/2017
I have been waiting four years to read this.

I loved Mordin so much but my paragon Shepard shot him in the back too. It always hurt me that Liara says nothing about it, even though she ought to know as the broker.

Seriously, four years.

Thank you so much for this.
Aziethe chapter 8 . 1/25/2017
OMFG this is amazing and I love this fic with the force of a thousand fiery suns and I'm not even 10% of the way through yet. I adore the way Liara hates Shepard s bad language and how poor brave Traynor tries to play carer for both of them. Omg. This is everything I ever wanted from renegade femshep and more. 333
Guest chapter 3 . 8/6/2015
meh, i'm out. Just not interesting to me.
Fake Nails Real Heart chapter 54 . 5/24/2015
I loved this. Wow.
SpringTea chapter 1 . 2/10/2015
After reading this fic for second time, I feel, I would give a lot to read the prequel to this amazing story. How had been S&L's relationship developing.
At the time of the narrative, Liara is already broken and it could be very interesting to trace from the beginning, why did all this end like that.
This story remains one of my favourite among all and the character of your Shepard continue to haunt me. Thank you!
RedSyric chapter 54 . 11/24/2014
Good gracious GOD, what a ride! I remember coming out of my lurkitude for this story and to leave a comment, and only just now have had the time and -dare I say- emotional courage to come and finish this story. And what an ending! Un-repairable your Shepard was, but not irredeemable, that was one hell of a way to go for her.
Yuri-hime chapter 25 . 9/6/2014
Thank goodness! This Shepard has FINALLY done something UNSELFISH and it's for Liara. Set Liara free! Finally the Shepard in this story has done something *good* for our precious, sweet Liara :3
Yuri-hime chapter 9 . 9/6/2014
Liara is just so badass :3
avout chapter 54 . 8/21/2014
This was epic.

I loved every chapter. I loved the wild emotional rides, and how each scene was thought-provoking and immersive-the nuances of character can benefit from multiple readings and the canon divergences slide in so smoothly. I also appreciate that you wrote a true renegade Shepard. I've seen too many renegade-lite Shepards being an asshole in superficial ways but not ruthless where it counts, that or renegade-idiot Shepards just mindlessly being a dick to everyone.

However, I also felt like the overall work was losing steam towards the end. I think there were two stories competing for attention here. There's the character-driven story featuring Shepard's transformational arc, then there's the action-driven story (albeit with emotional instead of physical explosions) featuring Liara stumbling her way to a better relationship despite misunderstandings and a douchebag Commander. Either one would be a solid premise by itself, but I feel the story eventually loses focus because it tries to be both. Shepard's redemption is peripheral to the budding Liara/Traynor relationship, and Liara doesn't work as a character study because she changes least of the three. Even Traynor shows more growth: she manages to find her spine and learns to see past (both) her idealized first impressions, and meanwhile Liara is doing that "I'm broken" martyr complex thing until the end, even after the banshee almost kills her.

Some of that probably comes from writing in serial form. Every scene is strong, but characters tend to have their own agendas and don't always do what you want them to do. I read this in one sitting, so maybe the overall structure stands out more to me compared to someone who read it as a work in progress.