Reviews for Glacial Fire
Aziethe chapter 12 . 1/25/2017
I have been waiting four years to read this.

I loved Mordin so much but my paragon Shepard shot him in the back too. It always hurt me that Liara says nothing about it, even though she ought to know as the broker.

Seriously, four years.

Thank you so much for this.
Aziethe chapter 8 . 1/25/2017
OMFG this is amazing and I love this fic with the force of a thousand fiery suns and I'm not even 10% of the way through yet. I adore the way Liara hates Shepard s bad language and how poor brave Traynor tries to play carer for both of them. Omg. This is everything I ever wanted from renegade femshep and more. 333
Guest chapter 3 . 8/6/2015
meh, i'm out. Just not interesting to me.
Fake Nails Real Heart chapter 54 . 5/24/2015
I loved this. Wow.
SpringTea chapter 1 . 2/10/2015
After reading this fic for second time, I feel, I would give a lot to read the prequel to this amazing story. How had been S&L's relationship developing.
At the time of the narrative, Liara is already broken and it could be very interesting to trace from the beginning, why did all this end like that.
This story remains one of my favourite among all and the character of your Shepard continue to haunt me. Thank you!
RedSyric chapter 54 . 11/24/2014
Good gracious GOD, what a ride! I remember coming out of my lurkitude for this story and to leave a comment, and only just now have had the time and -dare I say- emotional courage to come and finish this story. And what an ending! Un-repairable your Shepard was, but not irredeemable, that was one hell of a way to go for her.
Yuri-hime chapter 25 . 9/6/2014
Thank goodness! This Shepard has FINALLY done something UNSELFISH and it's for Liara. Set Liara free! Finally the Shepard in this story has done something *good* for our precious, sweet Liara :3
Yuri-hime chapter 9 . 9/6/2014
Liara is just so badass :3
avout chapter 54 . 8/21/2014
This was epic.

I loved every chapter. I loved the wild emotional rides, and how each scene was thought-provoking and immersive-the nuances of character can benefit from multiple readings and the canon divergences slide in so smoothly. I also appreciate that you wrote a true renegade Shepard. I've seen too many renegade-lite Shepards being an asshole in superficial ways but not ruthless where it counts, that or renegade-idiot Shepards just mindlessly being a dick to everyone.

However, I also felt like the overall work was losing steam towards the end. I think there were two stories competing for attention here. There's the character-driven story featuring Shepard's transformational arc, then there's the action-driven story (albeit with emotional instead of physical explosions) featuring Liara stumbling her way to a better relationship despite misunderstandings and a douchebag Commander. Either one would be a solid premise by itself, but I feel the story eventually loses focus because it tries to be both. Shepard's redemption is peripheral to the budding Liara/Traynor relationship, and Liara doesn't work as a character study because she changes least of the three. Even Traynor shows more growth: she manages to find her spine and learns to see past (both) her idealized first impressions, and meanwhile Liara is doing that "I'm broken" martyr complex thing until the end, even after the banshee almost kills her.

Some of that probably comes from writing in serial form. Every scene is strong, but characters tend to have their own agendas and don't always do what you want them to do. I read this in one sitting, so maybe the overall structure stands out more to me compared to someone who read it as a work in progress.
Crescantre chapter 3 . 8/7/2014
Lots of anger and tension still. Very jagged though.
Crescantre chapter 1 . 8/7/2014
I enjoyed this chapter. So much tension without knowing the origin.
thelegendarysupernerd chapter 3 . 6/26/2014
Oh FUCK this is gonna be rough. But good, I think.
thelegendarysupernerd chapter 1 . 6/26/2014
Oh boy...
A Markov chapter 54 . 6/11/2014
An intense ride from beginning to end.

The good:
-Your pacing was excellent. You kept the tension high, even when one character was having a moment of peace, you ratcheted up the angst in another direction. It was well done and maintained a high level of emotional suspense without inducing fatigue on any of the story lines.
-Broken Shepard is broken. You did not give in to the temptation of the "love conquers all" ending. Sometimes things (people) can't be fixed and while your Shepard was not beyond redemption, she was beyond repair. The story acknowledged this and embraced it without forcing some kind of contrived "happily ever after. "
-Vega. Loved what you did with Vega. He's still meat, but you gave him a brain too.
-Mechanics. Well edited and presented with very few mechanical errors throughout the entire piece.

The bad-
-I never quite got my head around Samantha's motivation. If there was anything beyond "Shepherd is hot." I missed it. The story still hangs together without that but I did find myself wondering why she was doing what she was doing on a few occasions.
-Would like to have seen more involvement of the other characters. Even more mentioning of the other characters. Garrus gets one shout out in the last chapter. I did spend some time wondering if everyone else was dead.

The ugly-
-Nothing ugly here.

Over all-
This was well paced from beginning to end with a huge emotional investment and impact. Your characters were real and the situations were visceral. I cursed, I cried, I had to put it down and walk away a couple of times. After I catch my breath, I'm probably going to get back in line and ride it again.

Alex.
renegadebabe chapter 54 . 5/27/2014
Congrats on the grand (and I mean grand) finale. Your economy of words, ability to dwell in darkness at length and daring are a rare and daring treasure. I hope you pick up your other tale and/or bring us a new one or five.
637 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »