Reviews for Glacial Fire
rjohanek chapter 54 . 5/26/2014
Excellent story! Hard to read at times, but a good hard. I look forward to the continuation of your other stories, especially Yalla Tnam (did I spell that right?). Thanks for sharing.
Sirrocco chapter 54 . 5/26/2014
Dear Owel,

Congratulations! You did it! Thank you for giving us this story, for all the painstaking effort involved in its preparation, your powerfully evocative startling economy of words, the courage to explore the possibilities you have, and the endurance to see the story through.

I miss you already. You have loved these characters enough to let them be raw, wrong, stubborn, tragic and even triumphant in the midst of their imperfections. That is giving them more life than they often are given, more than just wishful thinking and fantasy. You have reached out to many of us and encouraged us to be writers, and bold, offering support and feedback generously. You have been key in making ff a community of cooperation, civility and creativity-ff at its best. Accomplishments like these and your completed story nothing can diminish or take away.

Thank you for all these gifts!
Corentin IV chapter 54 . 5/26/2014
Well done - well done! Bet that must feel real good :)

Thank you for all the time, effort, blood, sweat and I should imagine tears you have poured into this story for so long. It's been a real pleasure to read and follow; personally this, and work by writers like , really showed me the potential of fanfiction to take characters in new and compelling directions and ultimately, inspired me to give it a go!

Muireall is one of the most compelling versions of Shepard I have encountered, and I am glad she gets some sort of bittersweet ending and resolution of her own, with Aislynn. Ditto for Liara and Sam. It's not often I read something with characters that feel deep and razor-sharp and stronger than the originals. That's the unique quality you have brought to this story.

Bravo!
Arkevil chapter 54 . 5/23/2014
Wow what a trip it's been. Thank you for telling this amazing story. I will always remember the emotional steamroller that is Glacial Fire.
Yestare70 chapter 54 . 5/25/2014
I always struggle with anything but a happy ending - that is just me. I want everyone to live and have blue babies! But somehow stories with a bitter and sweet ending leave a lasting mark. (Movie Braveheart for example, Wallace dies but his cause is accomplished in the end)

And that's definitiely the case here. Shepard did some horrible things that made me dislike her, but I was STILL rooting for her. Sam's a sweetie and deserves Liara. Shepard going out like that - it simply works, even though it's painful. It is bitter, and it is sweet.

Want to thank you very much for this tale. it's taken me to new highs and lows, and thru it all I have admired your imagination and your use of language, but especially your skill to give the reader an impression, and then go in a completely different direction, leaving us bewilderd staring at the screen :)

It's been great, thank you.
MistEternal chapter 54 . 5/24/2014
Well done.
MiizBHavvin chapter 52 . 5/24/2014
And just for fun... I'm #600! 3 so what's the prize :D
MiizBHavvin chapter 53 . 5/24/2014
Ok fox hasn't even written 1 story. Let me at them :) This should be... Amusing.
MiizBHavvin chapter 54 . 5/24/2014
Ur done! Well it's been one hell of an emotional roller coaster that is certain. But well done. Heartless, icy Shep with no happy ending is definitely in the minority of ff out there. So thanks for daring to be different.

As for the fox flamer... I am very ashamed to see he is my countryman. Canadians legalized gay marriage years before anyone else, and hand out tickets or warnings for ppl possessing pot. I'm sure that troll lives in Alberta, Canada's equivilant to Texas or Alabama.

There's nothing wrong with review/critiquing and not liking a direction of a story, but to be out right hateful is another. This is fanfiction, not the Pulitzer committee.

Loved your story Owel, keep at it. Cheers xox.
AbsitInvidia28 chapter 54 . 5/23/2014
Is that the last chapter?! I... no epilogue or anything? I love your story and I am so sad that is it... or seems to be it. Is it... I hope you write more stories soon. I love your Shepard.
WordKrush chapter 54 . 5/23/2014
Oh, Owel... *sets pom poms aside* *stands* *claps like a mad frakking fiend!*

Well done, OP! Well done!

I love this story. From the opening word to the last full stop. All of it. It's brilliant from beginning to end, and I can't even begin to express how envious I am of your talent. You not only crafted a story that is consistently dark,violent,and twisted (which is no small feat!) but you managed to do it in a way that it's also beautiful...not in spite of its dark elements, but because of them. I loved hating your characters and I hated loving them, but your writing demanded both. That's a rare and powerful thing, you. Be proud.

I wasn't fortunate enough to be with you for this entire ride, but am pleased beyond measure to have had the privilege of riding shotgun for a portion of it. I sincerely thank you for that, my friend. It's truly been an honor.

Now...onto the next, eh? ;)
cdghuntermco chapter 54 . 5/23/2014
So I thought the comments made by that Fox guy were pretty harsh, so I decided to check out his profile and see what his deal is. Having gotten back, all I can say is wow. Just... wow. I never thought that much irrational hate could be bound up in just one person. You shouldn't take his comments seriously. I take it he's the kind of person who really likes to listen to themselves talk.

As for me, I loved Glacial Fire from the very first chapter. It was story with a tone and feel that was much darker than what I normally perused, but that is a very good thing! I love how vastly different the writers on Fnet can be in their works.

I especially liked (and liked to hate) your Shepard. I feel too many writers make 'Renegade Shepard' synonymous with 'Fuck-Up Shepard.' That is to say because Shepard isn't always nice means they're as not as good a soldier as their Paragon Golden Boy counterparts. I love how ruthless and dauntless your Shepard is! She actually works through the back door dealings, taking renegade actions only she has the will to follow through on, making decisions that are arguably better alternatives than their paragon counterparts.

Overall Glacial Fire was an amazing look into how emotionally damaged people deal with relationships and overwhelming pressure. I enjoyed this story, and while I liked how you had it end, but I am sad the story is now over. I look forward to more stories from you. Cheers.
Hallmist chapter 54 . 5/23/2014
Poignant. The whole story, every darn chapter. I love it.

As someone who liked the original endings, I like the open-ended, no resolution finale.
Agilufo chapter 54 . 5/23/2014
umh ... honestly ... I dislike it! the story began in excellent order. seems like you have tired of the story and decided to terminate it.
Too bad.
in any case it is a good job.
fahRENheit2006 chapter 54 . 5/23/2014
Wow. You finished! Congratulations, mate! IT'S OVERRRR

I, for one, am shocked as shit at Shepard's choice. But I appreciate the creative liberties on the whole Catalyst shenanigan to be more personal/tailored to Shepard. And I still adore your economy of description in painting a vivid picture with a smattering of sentences. It's alllll in the adjectives.

And, just like Muireall: you're free, Owel!

You're free.