Reviews for Staying Alive
SakuraJade chapter 8 . 8/17/2013
I think you did a great job on the conversation between Prim and Gale. I thought the dialogue was very in character for both of them. I don't even feel like Prim's situation was extremely different. At their very core, both situations were the same: If person A had done this differently etc, person B would still be here.

As for the blonde that Gale knows, we'll, my guess is that it's Delly Cartwright. I believe she was blonde too being from town, and as we know she and her brother were two of the only town's people to make it out of D12 during the bombing. Plus it'd be too easy if it was Madge, and something would have had to have happened to Avella and Carson for it to be Madge, and I don't think you are done telling their story yet.

And sadly, I am officially out of chapters. Well my dear, you have quite an AMAZING story going here! So sad you haven't updated it since February! :( You didn't abandon it, did you? Please say you didn't! I saw your profile was last updated in May and you mentioned that this story is still alive, but you never updated it again despite that remark :( PLEASE don't abandon it! It's SUCH a great Gadge story! From the characterization, to the story, to the writing itself. I'm going to be sorely disappointed if it's not finished :(

I mean, there's just so many things you can do and so many ways you can go with this story I'm dying to read more. Can't wait to see what you have in store for these two amazing characters! So please update again soon!

Hope all is well!
SakuraJade chapter 7 . 8/17/2013
Phew, I feel exhausted just reading about the way poor Madge is struggling to go on. Actually, I'm not sure how she's managing. From what Gale said of her injuries several chapters back, I would think she would have succumb by now to the pain and blood loss. Or at the very least, be developing a nasty infection. Or maybe she is, as you mentioned her cuts were all red and swollen, which does sound like infection. That being the case though, she'll never make it to D13 without some help :(

I like how Madge felt like she was supposed to die with her family but somehow managed to cheat fate. It's a nice throwback to how things really went for her in canon (unfortunately, totally disappointed about that). It was a nice touch.

Hang in their Madge!
SakuraJade chapter 6 . 8/17/2013
Oh you are killing me! He was so close to finding her! SO CLOSE! But there'd be no fun in him finding her so soon I suppose :) I loved the internal thoughts you've written for Gale. They are so heart wrenching and so realistic. The guilt he's feeling over Madge's death and the confusion over the guilt he feels for a girl who wasn't even his friend makes perfect sense and is so real that it almost feels tangible. Awesome job on that. Also, I give you mad props for even bothering to Google how to do a tripod over an open fire. I can really appreciate when an author researches what they want to talk about when they have no first hand knowledge, even a small detail like how to cook food in a pot over an open flame. I do the same thing :)

Over all, I loved this chapter :)
SakuraJade chapter 5 . 8/8/2013
So that's what her mother gave her! A map to district 13. Didn't see that coming. I mean I figured it had something to do with rebellion and District 13, but didn't realize it'd be a map to lead her to the forgotten district. Even with the map and a compass, she's got quite the arduous task ahead of her, especially with two little kids to look out for :( I'm kind of surprised she hasn't run into anybody else actually, given how the others couldn't have gotten out that much sooner than her, nor gotten that far away from the district yet given how they don't have a plan at all as far as what to do next /

That little bit about Avella telling Madge that Carson thinks she's pretty had me laugh out loud. So like a kid to say that without thinking twice lol I am a little curious as to why they aren't too bothered by the death of their father. I sense family trouble for the kiddies :( Hopefully their mother at least made it out and Madge can keep it together long enough to be their temporary caregiver in the meantime. Can't wait to find out!
SakuraJade chapter 4 . 8/8/2013
You have no idea how excited I was that we got to read Madge and Gale's meeting from last chapter from his POV as well! I love getting to see how both characters involved react to the same event.

You did such a great job portraying Gale's feelings, from the bit of new found respect he suddenly had for the mayor's daughter after seeing her help people from the Seam that others wouldn't, to his concern for her state (all the cuts and blood she was wearing and how she didn't even realize how banged up she was), to his shock and dismay at her mind boggling decision to run into a burning house leading to her "death." His reaction to push on with the Everdeens afterward was so Gale too. You did a fantastic job with his characterization in this chapter. I loved it!

All around great chapter :)
SakuraJade chapter 3 . 8/7/2013
Oh poor Madge! :( I really feel for her. Couldn't make it to her father in time to try and help him, then had to leave her mother behind b/c she was too incapacitated. I couldn't imagine having to my mom behind :'( And now I'm dying to know what Mrs. Undersee had Madge take from her nightstand drawer . . .

It was cool that Madge was able to help others though, and that she ran into Gale in the midst of doing just that. That ought to show him he never gave Madge enough credit :)

And how dramatic, the way Gale and the Everdeens witnessed her run into that burning building before it collapsed! Great scene, so well done! So glad Madge was able to save those kids, but I'd be freaking out bad enough as it is, but then to have to worry about two kids all by myself? Props to Madge for her strength.

Very moving chapter.
SakuraJade chapter 2 . 8/7/2013
You mean we get to read both Madge's AND Gale's POVs?! SWEET! I really enjoy Madge's POV, but there aren't nearly enough Gadge stories that show case Gale's POV and I'm always sorely disappointed by that. So you can imagine how excited I am that we will be given insight into how both of them are feeling :) As with Madge, you gave some seriously great characterization to Gale. The detail you give is fantastic, and I love the way you build on canon events (i.e. opening with the repercussions the lashings had on Gale physically). Enjoyed the thoughts Gale had about Katniss and that you let us know where that stands (her rejecting him, outright in your story from the sound of things), and that he currently doesn't know Madge showed up with her mother's morphling to help Gale after his whipping.

Again, I loved the POV switch, it was interesting to see what both Madge and Gale were doing when the bombing began :)
SakuraJade chapter 1 . 8/7/2013
Oooo, only one chapter in, and this already looks like it's going to be a great read. Your writing is really good (very few typos, good grammar, good use of vocabulary so it isn't redundant, etc.), and excellent characterization for Madge, especially considering what little you have to go on given the small role she played in the books (and her non-existent role in the movies). You really fleshed her out in this chapter, and it's only the beginning :)
GoChlollie chapter 8 . 4/30/2013
What? No continuation?
I bet it's not Madge. Because if she were to be found, the kids would be with her. So..Delly?
Although I really want Madge to find the survivors from D12, especially one in particular ;)
SJlikeslists chapter 2 . 3/16/2013
I like that alternating point of view. It lets you touch on things from a broader range than sticking to one person's vision of the world all of the time. The aftermath of Gale's whipping and the long term way it is causing him problems (in combination with his resignation to it despite his displeasure) was nicely conveyed.
SJlikeslists chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
The prelude was absolutely intriguing.

The people standing around watching the hovercraft coming was hard to read (because I know what's coming when they do not). I like the way you took Madge from confusion to realization at that point.
anonime chapter 8 . 2/20/2013
I liked this chapter ;)
andinify chapter 8 . 2/20/2013
Okay if that isn't Madge... well idk what to do *weep*

Prim was such a mature little girl... loved her :')

loved this chapter! And if that girl turns out to be really Madge, then you'd clearly make my day ;)
Belle453 chapter 8 . 2/19/2013
Why do I get the feeling that it's not Madge? Cause if it was her...where are the kids.

I thought you had great insight on letting go...we forget so often. Great chapter. I hope things look up for you soon.
DD chapter 7 . 2/10/2013