Reviews for When Love Dies
gersquin065 chapter 1 . 10/10/2006
well, you wrote this some years ago, so an opinion more may be insignificant.

what is wrong with you? this series surely are idealistic, expectatives too high, but let me tell you: is it not life sad enough? do you have to ruin this? with something that sad? even death is not so bad, compared to your fanfic.
goku chapter 1 . 10/12/2005
you cant leave this one as a one shot did ranma really cheat on akane? did akane ever treat ranma nice byond the few rare times? and how does ranma see things?
Darth Hawk 32 chapter 1 . 10/9/2005
Depressing, but highly unlikely.
Gemini011 chapter 1 . 12/11/2002
This fic was good, but it's classfied wrong. This is an angstfic.
Solomon's Nightmare chapter 1 . 9/22/2002
Geez, man - I quite understand your point, but who are you to say what I should or should not be fanatical about?

Look at 'Lethal Bimbos' by Iamasu. That is a story that has had several of the people on this review section - who have been defending Ed's fic, I might add - jumping up and down, yet I dare say that quite a few people have found it entertaining. I know of at least four - offhand -that have. What gives you people the right to object to it, then?

In fact, by that token, what gives anybody the right to object to any fic, no matter how badly written it is, or how badly it treats some of the characters. If I wrote a fic where, say, Happosai drugged Ukyo and made her his sex slave, do you think for an instant that no one would tell me to stop writing any more? Yet I dare say there are people out there who are sick enough to enjoy something like that. So where do we draw the line?

Anyways, it isn't just about true love, or what I believe to be Rumiko Takahashi's purpose when writing Ranma 1/2. If you write a continuation fic where Ranma and Akane do not get together, you are quite simply ignoring an aspect of the plot of Ranma 1/2. The one at the end of manga 35 that says their love is to be eternal.
aondehafka chapter 1 . 9/22/2002
Well, I guess this is my cue to write another 'essay', even though what happened before likely will again. I'm sure somebody will be ready to attack various sentences out of this one and ignore the main point completely.

The primary idea out of my previous review was simply this: In a work as large, complex, and multifaceted as Ranma 1/2, different people are going to like different things. Solomon's Nightmare's 'rebuttal' completely ignores that, unless the following sentence was meant to be his response: "As I've said before in the past - don't like True Love? Don't believe in fate, destiny, or soul mates? Then go and find yourself another manga to read."

Here is what I, in my cynical world view, see as the bottom line. Ed Simons has spent dozens of hours at the very least writing his various stories. And many people, myself included, appreciate and enjoy those stories. I would estimate that those who've read his work and liked it have collectively spent hundreds of enjoyable hours.

You reviewers who would say to him, or to anyone, "You don't have a right to write stories like this, where Ranma and Akane don't stay together, or get together in the first place," have said that the people who enjoy his stories don't matter. That their opinions are worthless. You would take stories they appreciate and enjoy away from them, because they don't fit your narrow view of what is right and proper.

Just some words of wisdom from a so-called 'cynic'- it is the REAL people that matter. When you push them aside to champion the One True Way of the One True Couple, you do a disservice to anyone who ever DARED to look at the status quo and question whether it might be made better. If you want to be a fanatic about something, may I suggest finding a cause that would allow you do do some actual good?
Solomon's Nightmare chapter 1 . 9/20/2002
Don't really see why you deleted Jessica's review, Ed. It really wasn't all that offensive.

'First, let's start by considering the nature of popular writing. An author, whether they're writing a manga or a novel, has the goal of making money.'

A very broad generalisation, and an overly simplistic and cynical one at that. Every author, whether wittingly or not, injects something of their own personal beliefs/ ideals into whatever it is they are writing. Rumiko Takahashi is no different.

'To this end, they write a story to be entertaining and appeal to as many people as possible. That is their role.'

Again, a simplification. And an incorrect one at that. Read the interview with Rumiko Takahashi on .com - when she wrote Ranma 1/2, Rumiko Takahashi was not aiming it as 'as many people as possible' but at children and teenage girls. Ranma 1/2 was intended to be 'the kind of manga that I [Rumiko Takahashi] would have wanted to read when I was a child.'

'It is inevitable that to different people, different aspects of a work will provide the most satisfaction. This is called 'critical analysis'. It is absurd to say a reader doesn't have the right to critique a particular work, just because they didn't write it.'

Let's use another analogy, shall we? Say you're talking to a person. When they speak to you, you do and try and understand what it is they're trying to say, don't you? Why should it be any different when you're reading a story someone's written? You're not 'critiquing' Ranma 1/2 by writing a story which separates its primary couple - you're just failing to understand the purpose of the story.

'Furthermore, a reader who simply absorbs what is put before them, without thinking about it at all, has not had nearly as rich an experience as one who reads deeply enough to decide what they enjoyed, what they didn't, and perhaps what changes they would have liked to see.'

So, you're saying that the reader who reads an author's work and doesn't understand what is trying to be said has had the richer experience than the reader who actually tries to make sense of what is put before them?

The problem with your entire essay is that you rely on broad generalisations and oversimplifications.

'To use a concrete example, what right do YOU have to argue against other matchups than Ranma-Akane? What right do you have to complain about an author developing a character other than the Sacred Two? What right do you people POSSIBLY have to say that Ranma's and Akane's confused and uncertain teenage feelings of affection must INEVITABLY deepen into a mature, abiding love that will endure forever?'

Simply because that is what the creator of the series intended - and has said she intended. I'm going to point back to the Leaves That Bind again, simply because not a single one of you who has tried to rebutt my arguments thus far has had anything to say about it. In the Japanese tradition, the fact that Ranma and Akane have connected their names thus means that their love will last forever. The magic of the leaves ir proven to work - what right do you have to claim to 'continue' the story of Ranma 1/2 and ignore that single story because you don't like the implications?

You say Ranma and Akane's feelings are confused and uncertain - I don't agree. The Battle Dougi story, as well as Phoenix Mountain, the story where Ranma leaves the Tendo household, and Shinnosuke all show clearly that they know how _they_ feel for one another. The uncertainty in their relationship derives solely from the fact that they aren't aware of the fact that their feelings are reciprocated. Look at Ranma in Phoenix Mountain

I'll point you back to the end of Phoenix Mountain again - the kind of bond that Ranma are Akane are shown to have there is one only associated in Japan with couples who have been together for their whole lives - who are very, very close. Ranma and Akane's feelings don't need to mature into deep, abiding love - they're already there.

Now, you can say that I'm being too idealistic; quite simply put, you might as well criticise the manga series for the same fault. As I've said before in the past - don't like True Love? Don't believe in fate, destiny, or soul mates? Then go and find yourself another manga to read.

'Have you ever heard of Bloom's Taxonomy? It has to do with how we as humans learn. There are five 'levels' of familiarity with a subject, proceeding in this order: knowledge, comprehension, application, synthesis, evaluation. In terms of fanfiction: application would be writing 'fics that make use of all the same themes that were present in the original series. The NEXT STEP UP is synthesis: original creation, taking some elements and combining them in new ways, introducing new things, GOING BEYOND the constraints of the original work. And evaluation is the highest level of mastery. That means ANYBODY has the right to evaluate, to criticize Ranma 1/2 or any series (which doesn't mean everybody who does it, does it well. There's a reason this is the highest level of mastery)'

I find it ironic that you skipped out the steps of 'knowledge' and 'comprehension.' Jessica's already come up with a good response to this, so I'm not going to repeat myself. You can't 'synthesise' without 'understanding' first.
aondehafka chapter 1 . 9/18/2002
A few thoughts I'd like to share with the reviewers who have taken such strong exception to this story, and have decried it for being completely unrealistic. If you were OFFENDED at the thought of a continuation fic where Ranma and Akane ended up unhappy with each other, then this word's for you.

First, let's start by considering the nature of popular writing. An author, whether they're writing a manga or a novel, has the goal of making money. To this end, they write a story to be entertaining and appeal to as many people as possible. That is their role.

The ball then passes into the next court, when the work is published and people read it. What does the author hope for? Why, that the work will be appreciated, will be enjoyed, will captivate the reader to the extent that he will want more.

It is inevitable that to different people, different aspects of a work will provide the most satisfaction. This is called 'critical analysis'. It is absurd to say a reader doesn't have the right to critique a particular work, just because they didn't write it. When the author put it into public domain, they gave EVERYBODY a right to an opinion. Furthermore, a reader who simply absorbs what is put before them, without thinking about it at all, has not had nearly as rich an experience as one who reads deeply enough to decide what they enjoyed, what they didn't, and perhaps what changes they would have liked to see.

And now for my next point. ANYONE who writes fanfiction is, at one level, engaging in this sort of criticism of the original work. Oh, they might not be aware of it, they might not think of it like that... but even the most slavishly-devoted-to-canonical-style-and-themes fanfiction authors are saying, "This series could have been _better_, if it had had more material added. Here is some of that material."

So if an author can do this, what right does he have to say to others, authors who like _certain_ _elements_ of an original series, but _not_ the entire thing, that they don't have the right to pursue their visions of how the series might be made better? To use a concrete example, what right do YOU have to argue against other matchups than Ranma-Akane? What right do you have to complain about an author developing a character other than the Sacred Two? What right do you people POSSIBLY have to say that Ranma's and Akane's confused and uncertain teenage feelings of affection must INEVITABLY deepen into a mature, abiding love that will endure forever?

I hope that I have given you some things to think about. In closing, let me say this: demanding that works adhere to some piece of the original series, regardless of whether YOU think that element is integral, is not a sign of integrity. You aren't somehow honoring the original series. You are simply being closed-minded.
Solomon's Nightmare chapter 1 . 9/17/2002
That's exactly the point, Shabado. I never said that 'Lethal Bimbos' was supposed to be canon, or anything like that. What I meant to imply was 'if you can condone uncanonism when it puts your favourite character in a more favourable situation, why do you find it so offensive when it doesn't?' My review was _supposed_ to be provocative.

Let's clarify: Lethal Bimbos is not canonical. I never said it was. This fic is not canonical, either.

As for the Nannichuan: Soun told Nabiki that he wasn't letting Ranma get anywhere near it unless he married Akane. Do you think Akane should have told Ranma about it and risk (a) Ranma trying to make a grab for it, Soun protecting it, and possibly wrecking Ranma's cure again, (b) Ranma going along with the wedding because of it and never knowing whether Ranma really wanted to marry her or not?

So, still think Akane should have gone to tell Ranma about the Nannichuan? What would he have done? Agreed to marry her or tried to grab it?

Akira Kuonji: Whether two people are incompatible or not is an entirely subjective thing. Besides, Ranma 1/2 is manga written for a teenage girl audience which has the sort of themes like 'love conquers all', etc. Multiple references to 'destiny', 'fate', etc. If you don't believe in those things, well, why are you applying your values to a story that is _about_ those things? If you don't like that, go find yourself another manga to read.

Let's look at it this way - how long have Ranma and Akane known each other? If you count the number of seasons that pass during the course of Ranma 1/2 (the winters, seasonal stories such as Valentine's Day, Bean Throwing Night, etc) you'll see that it's been close to six years. Yet, despite having their supposedly incompatible personalities in contact every day, they've only gotten closer. The ending suggests they've gotten the equivalent of the Japanese concept of a 'heart to heart', equated in Japan with couples that have been together for years, and have become very, very close.

'Look at the divorce rate nowadays'

Look at the divorce rate in Japan, Akira. BIG difference there, ne?

Besides, not one of you has yet to say something about my earlier point - the Leaves That Bind tells us that Ranma and Akane's love will be eternal. Go figure.
Akira Kuonji chapter 1 . 9/16/2002
Woooaaa! What a well-written fic. I can see this is likely very possible to happen. And I can see the love you get from this fic, Edward. Heheh...

Anyway, what keeps troubling me when someone's defending so hard that "R/A are the only and real couple", "R/A are destined to be together", "R/A's love conquers all" and other bullshits is how long Ranma and Akane can keep their so-called 'love'. They're SO incompatible. Okay, maybe it will work in a short term. But who can guarantee their love won't fade? Just look at divorce rate nowadays. It's just the matter of time they'll take their own ways. They have too much differences from the very start.
Joey Joe Joe Shabado chapter 1 . 9/16/2002
Dear Solomon's Nightmare:

After reading your review for . ?storyid844139 I believe that YOUR own view of canon is just as screwed up (if not more) as those who you accuse.

Then again, I shouldn't have been surprised by that as it's been shown in your reviews here how much you seem to accuse the other girls of 'violent acts' while forgiving Akane of anything she's done as so:

***

Point #13: We've already been over this. If Akane was bribing Ranma into the wedding, why didn't she tell him about the Nannichuan? Why the incredibly vague 'you'll regret it' which could even be taken to mean 'you'll enjoy being married to me and you'll regret it if you aren't?'

Nabiki's words to Soun show clearly who she thinks the Nannichuan is a bribe for. Soun's words are even clearer - he's not going to let Ranma anywhere near the Nannichuan until he's married to Akane. He would have told Akane that, since he isn't stupid.

***

What the hell are you trying to say here? What the others have been trying to get through you is that (especially since you seem to be taking everything the other girls do seriously) Akane should DEFINITELY be blamed for not going straight to Ranma and telling the GUY WHO RECENTLY SAVED HER LIFE about the Nannichuan.

Congratulations, you have caused me to lose what little respect I had for you!

Please go do something which would be more productive for yourself instead of wasting our time; like, oh, say... reading such 'wonderful canon fics' like 'The Better End' and 'Lethal Bimbo's' while gushing over them like the fanboy you are (btw, if you haven't realized, I'm being sarcastic).

JJJS
Solomon's Nightmare chapter 1 . 9/15/2002
To dunefar:

'Why do KoTF always go out of their way to be unlikeable, mudslinging, canon misquoting idiots?'

In case you haven't noticed, Ranma-Akane IS the canon. There's no question about it. Takahashi-sama has said herself on numerous occasions that Ranma and Akane will get married, and if you read the Memorial Artbook published by Viz, she lists Ranma's relationship to all the other fiancees as 'unrequited love.' If anything, it is you people who are misquoting the canon.

That said, Ranma 1/2 is at heart an idealist's anime. Rumiko Takahashi originally wrote it for children (read the interview on .com) but as time progressed and the audience leaned towards teenage girls, she changed the story accordingly. Note the late manga references to destiny - the Sakura Mochi, Ryouga's speech prior to the wedding, the Leaves That Bind, etc. Ranma and Akane are destined to be married, and stay married. Their love is destined to last forever.

So, if you want to advocate a pairing other than Ranma-Akane, please do not bother me by talking about Takahashi's intention.
Solomon's Nightmare chapter 1 . 9/15/2002
Sorry about this, Ed. I said I wouldn't intervene anymore, but as The Purple One hasn't provided an email address, this is really the only place I can respond.

Point #1 - Akane splashes Ranma and Shampoo twice in the entire manga - once accidentally, and the second time on purpose. In both cases, he thoroughly deserved it.

On Phoenix Mountain: She was a dehydrated doll for about three quarters of the SECOND HALF of the story. What about the first half?

Point #2 - Akane's words are in response to SOUN's words. He says 'the wedding is postponed until you resolve your relationships' and THEN Akane tells Ranma to listen to what he's saying, because it's mostly his fault. Soun, in case you didn't notice, is talking about Ranma and Akane's suitor problems. Akane says that they're mainly Ranma's fault. If they're mainly Ranma's fault, it goes without saying that some of them would be Akane's fault. I mean, who else is there at the wedding to have suitor problems?

Point #3: If you can't distinguish between the usual slapstick routine and Ryugenzawa, I believe I'm wasting my time talking to you, and you're really not half as intelligent as I'm giving you credit for.

Point #4: Unless Akane is a much, much more unselfish person than even I give her credit for, she wouldn't be able to help Ranma as she does without first forgiving him. Look at the Hot Springs race - 'I'm so happy for you', even after she's caught him with Shampoo and Ukyo AND he rejected her in favour of Shampoo.

Point #5: If you still can't see the point, I believe I'm wasting my time talking to you. Ukyo spent ten years training with every intention of beating the living crud out of Ranma. If she really was in love with him, she could have easily rationalised away his 'betrayal' - especially since it was his father who stole the cart. At very least, she could have asked him about it when she met him in Nerima, instead of attacking him straight away. Didn't think very highly of him, did she? And you want me to believe that she's been in love with him all the time?

'Ukyo tries to kill Akane'

She's the one that makes the bombs. Not Shampoo. Her. She took them to the wedding and gave them to Shampoo, knowing that Shampoo would throw them at Akane, and not Ranma. Ranma was hit, but Akane was the target.

On Ranma's mother's house: Who Ranma intended the 'ring' for is not the point. Ukyo didn't know that Ranma's mother had told Ranma to give it to Akane - she just knew that Ranma was apparently giving an engagement ring to Akane, and she destroyed his mother's house to get it, even though she was never intended by anyone to have it.

Ukyo fighting for Ranma: Look at the story where Nabiki becomes Ranma's fiancee. Ukyo is willing to buy him from Nabiki and rent him from her. She beats up Ranma in the Valentine's Day story to get him to take her chocolates.

'Again, Ukyo was NEVER in such a situation. Show me where Ukyo (as in the character, subjectively, not us readers, objectively) knows for a fact that Ranma really is in love with another girl (like in your Akane example), and STILL isn't willing to step aside despite the pain. BTW, when I asked you to show me, I meant canon proof from the manga, of course.'

She says she knows that Ranma and Akane love one another before the wedding, in the Japanese manga. Plus, she saw how Ranma broke up the date she set up between Akane and Ryouga - after telling her he didn't care, no less. If she really doesn't know, she's got to be pretty dense.

Point #8: Look at the end of the manga, Cologne's words to Shampoo. Shampoo is rather unashamed of making Ranma jump in hoops all day for a false cure. She says 'was a very fun date.'

Point #9: 'So, it's easy to see Akane tricking Ranma into going to the altar with her - knowing how worried he is about getting married - for a cure that gets destroyed.'

Then why didn't she tell him 'you won't be cured unless you marry me.' 'If you don't marry me you'll regret it' could mean a lot of things - it could mean 'you'll hurt my feelings' or 'you'll like being married to me' or 'I'll never forgive you for standing me up.' Why would Ranma assume that she was talking about the Nannichuan if he didn't even know it was there?

Then look at Soun's words - 'until Ranma and Akane are married, he's not getting near that Nannichuan.' In all likelihood, he would have told Akane this as well. She knows that her marrying Ranma is the only way he's going to get his Nannichuan. Look at what Nabiki says - she obviously believes that Soun's bribing Akane into it.

Point #10: If Akane hadn't slapped Ranma, he would have landed a punch on a near-comatose Shinnosuke, and probably badly hurt him. She apologised for it, but it was necessary. 'More examples?' Show them to me.

Point #11: I've talked to Shade, who did Ranmascan, about this. He seems to think it's the same thing, and that he didn't 'twist' the meaning at all. I believe his exact response was 'what's the difference?' The word 'ai' definitely appears in the Japanese manga.

The people who did Ranmascan did not have Japanese-language translators. They found scripts off the internet, and modified them to make them sound more in character as we know the characters from the Viz translations.

Point #14: Here I'll admit, I misunderstood you. I thought what you meant was 'the evidence I see in the manga doesn't prove to me that Ranma and Akane love one another'. Apologies.

Point #15: There's a difference. Divorce is looked upon as a sign that the man cannot cope with home life, and that he is unmanly. Ranma would do everything within his power to stop that, since unmanliness basically equates death, with him.

Point #16: That's exactly the point. Honour is a big thing in Japan, and it is because of honour that the IOU holds even though it doesn't legally. That is a cultural consideration.

Point #17: You have a point.

Point #18: In all other respects, the magic of the leaves worked. It made Ranma fall in love with Hinako and Kodachi when his leave was attached to theirs. It's magical power is proven. In the Japanese tradition, the leaves are supposed to strengthen a couple's love and make it immortal. Thus, the binding of the leaves means that they are destined to be together forever. Yes, you were very silly to miss it.

On your next post: I got it from my own reading of the manga. The word 'ai' definitely appears in Ukyo's speech, which means 'love' in Japanese, in case you don't know.
Eckoii chapter 1 . 8/23/2002
Ooooh, dramitic. I like it. You should do a second part/chapter. Or maybe with Ranma talking about his marriage with Akane. Well done and well written.
Ed Simons chapter 1 . 8/17/2002
A_Reviewer, I'd rather continue this by email, but you choose to be anonymous.

The question about Ranma and honor was by The Purple One and you still haven't answered it.

I'm beginning to wonder if you bother to read what other people write.

I pointed out your unfairly lumping together the non-Akane girls, making no distinction in levels

of bad points among the girls, and ignoring the good points of anyone. In your reply you

unfairly lump together the non-Akane girls, make no distinction in levels of bad points among

the girls, and ignore most of the good points of anyone but Akane.

I then asked you to give examples where Akane apologizes to Ranma. You give examples

where she feels bad about her actions. It's not the same thing.

Eventually, you finally get to actual comments on the fic, which I had hoped could be useful.

Most of them aren't. You state a mix of your opinions and assumptions and call it a glaring

problem when my fic differs from your opinions and assumptions.

Even if your assumptions were correct, let me quote Ginrai's review (instead of putting words

in his mouth like you did) - 'The idea of the fic was to show that sometimes love isn't enough

and sometimes it dies out (which clearly explains Akane's skewed opinion on some of the

events from the past).'

Your allusion to the play as an analogy and foreshadowing for Ranma and Akane is very

interesting, though. Personally, I find the thought of them committing lovers' suicide

(shinju) as the only way to escape their problems rather depressing, but it is very traditional.

If you have to end the series the Shakespeare way, I prefer 'As You Like It' to "Romeo and

Juliet'