Reviews for The Prodigal Son
GhibliGirl91 chapter 13 . 11/14/2012
This was beautiful.
VickyFromGreece chapter 13 . 11/14/2012
A most fitting end for a most touching story. How many times did a broken promise lead to a broken heart? My favorite line is the remorse both brothers experience simultaneously. "I left her, someone thinks. I let her go, is the reply." Although the reader assumes who thought what, it really doesn't matter. It shouldn't matter. They are family, and that is enough.
Thank you for generously offering us your work.
TSai-TSia chapter 13 . 11/14/2012
You had me fooled with the scene on Vulcan at the beginning. Nice twist! As always I liked the backflashes and it was interesting to see the meeting from Sybok's perspective. Also it was interesting, that he reacted with something else than unconditional affection for Spock. I'm missing the Sarek & Amanda parts a bit, although I don't mind the information about Sybok at all. He found a better purpose in this universe than the original. I like that, because I liked what he meant to Spock in the original universe.
Aashlee Elizabeth chapter 13 . 11/14/2012
I think you wrote a younger Sybok consistent with what he might have been in the TOS-verse. I can also see him not remaining on New Vulcan; at least this time he has a positive purpose. A restless person such as he needs purpose and direction.

I liked the warmth that Amanda showed throughout the flashbacks. You can understand why Sarek (who, I think, was a closeted restless person himself) fell for her and why Spock and Sybok loved her so much.

Again, you know how much I detested "Star Trek V" and most things associated with it. Thank you for retrieving the Sybok character from that craziness and making him more than palatable - in a way, he became endearing. Blessings!
Wahoogal06 chapter 13 . 11/14/2012
Wow, another wonderful chapter and while you ended the story well I'm sorry to see it finished. You did a great job exploring Sybok's POV and I really enjoyed how you brought the whole family together. I always love how you write mind melds and in the one you wrote about here you included a lot of back story and detail that really emphasized how important this brotherly reunion is. Thank you so much for sharing this work with us and I can't wait to see what you write next!
burgundyburning chapter 13 . 11/14/2012
Good story! I definitely enjoyed the Spock/Sybok scenes the most. You really fleshed out his character in a short amount put time and I feel a deeper understanding of both characters now. Thank you.
Firefly-class chapter 13 . 11/14/2012
Great ending, I sometimes question Spock's attachment to Nyota but there was no doubt in my mind when you fixed their bond.
Linstock chapter 13 . 11/14/2012
“More than once Spock has entered the botanical gardens before or after a shift and found the Vulcan program running, obviously activated by other crewmates.”…I too found this a strangely moving thought and found myself speculating on “who?” and “why?”.
You paint a poignant picture of Syboks early life spent with a grandmother incapably of addressing his grief. While I was thinking Grandmother was very Vulcan and restrained I read on to “Your father's human, his grandmother said dismissively, as if Sarek had acquired a pet.” and decided she was actually a bitch.
You are certainly writing more than your fair share of mind meld scenes lately! Peopably explains why you are so good at it.
“their bodies whispering soundless endearments” …*sigh* lovely ... such a gentle reconnection after their mental separation…. “He folds one arm over her and drapes his ankle over hers, as if to reassure himself that she won't walk away.”…did I already *SIGH*?
I very much like the ending … not too much, just right.
laurmott chapter 13 . 11/14/2012
Beautiful. I love the way you captured and described Sybok's pain, as well as Spock's difficulty in grasping his brother's reasoning. Their relationship is one of my favorites. I hope you come back to Sybok some time. :) I always wondered how Spock took the hostility between Sybok and Sarek.

You also manage to capture Amanda perfectly. I don't know what else to say about that.

Spock and Nyota's reunion was sweet and very characteristic of them. It was a good end.

Thanks for the ride. :) I'll definitely be reading so long as you are writing.
junewilliams7 chapter 13 . 11/13/2012
Wow... At first I wasn't sure I liked this ending. Spock and Sarek haven't seen Sybok in years and it doesn't seem like they've had enough time together yet. But if they're mentally linked together, then perhaps it's not too bad. And I like to imagine that Sybok and his little family might spend a little time with Uhura, Spock, and Sarek before they go to Romulus.

And then, to think of Sybok being with SELEK... well, Sybok gets to be with old-Spock, and old-Spock finally gets time with his brother Sybok and a chance to prevent his brother's death in this universe.

Thank you for this story! It was nice to see Sybok's POV of his first time with Amanda.
Karen50 chapter 13 . 11/13/2012
This is a very good story and I'm glad the brothers made peace. I liked this Sybock very much. Will he visit again someday?
StillStacie chapter 13 . 11/13/2012
I really hate to see this story end . But you have went above and beyond in giving us a wonderful back story . I liked the way you showed us the reader how Amanda affected not just Spock's life but Sybok and Sarek's life too . You are a true talent . :)
stfw chapter 13 . 11/13/2012
Choosing to do the middle section from sybok's pov during the meld was brilliant. That section made me well up-well done child's eye of the world.

Also, spock's last line was perfect.
princelybell chapter 13 . 11/13/2012
That was so amazing! You have no idea how excited I was to see a new chapter alert for this story in my email.

Overall, this was a truly awesome tale. You've created such a comprehensive universe of events and personalities for Spock and his associates/family that every new story integrates seamlessly with those that preceded. I think this is my second favorite of all your stories so far. (I have difficulty picking a number one.)

My favorite line in this chapter is from Sybok's grandmother: "The word you mean is energy." I immediately though of "The Word You Mean," and it felt like there was a hidden connection suddenly visible-perhaps Sybok picked up the phrase from her and passed it on to Spock? (Seamless, I tell you!)

This story came to a beautifully satisfying conclusion, especially with regards to family reconciliation. Knowing that Sybok will always be present in their minds is so *heartwarming.* (I use that word a lot to describe your stories, I think.)

I already loved your Spock and Nyota, and now I love your Sybok just as much, if not more. Maybe it's because he such an openly expressive character, especially when it comes to Amanda. It felt like the last piece of a puzzle sliding into place when then shared the memory of her death again, and she called out for Sybok. That was also the best-written "life flashing before one's eyes" I've ever read.

You were definitely successful with the backstory, as well. I've probably said enough about it in previous reviews so I'll leave it at that. :)

I am one happy reader/reviewer, that's for sure. Congratulations on another wonderful story completed!
dinotopian chapter 13 . 11/13/2012