Reviews for Slow Burn
skadoo chapter 1 . 9/7/2013
Wow, that was good. You really capture the small steps in B'Elanna's mind to surrendering to her love for Tom. I really liked this line: "If she has to be saddled with these primitive Klingon instincts, it would be helpful if they came with subtitles."
Photogirl1890 chapter 1 . 8/13/2013
This is a fantastic series of moments. Started off with "scorching heat" and then it heated up some more. As much as I love the stuff you write from Tom's POV, this is certainly equal. Romance it may be, but it's a "gritty" romance (and grit is good in my book) and there is far more going on than just romance. There are the touches of humour: "Subtitles", the chilling: "she wonders briefly why the Vidiians didn't take those eyes", the "deep" - "DNA as a concept has always been hateful to her", and the perfect B'Elanna trains of thought such as: "They really couldn't afford to lose their top pilot, could they?" and the realisation after DoH that she has "run out of places to hide." Just spot-on characterisation.
I could not figure out what a PDA moment was. I got as far as guessing "please don't ask" and then I gave in and looked it up!
jamelia116 chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
Ah. What can I say. I'm a P/T-er, through and through. Thanks for feeing my addiction.

This is almost better than chocolate.

Almost ;-)

jamelia
Nana Evans chapter 1 . 8/27/2012
I think you really caught B'Ellana's character and thoughts in this one. It's warm and has a heat that you know it can potentially burn, and I think that's what their relationship is all about.
CityDurl chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
Awesome. Fantastic. Superfantastic. Your first attempt at romance? It's a good one. Loved it. Was browsing through the various Trek fandoms, looking for something to love, and your fic is it.
longnite chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
Liked this view of the various bench marks in this fascinating relationship. I think you captured her well in every turn and provided the background to some of the instinctual aspects of her heritage. Its a part of her that she has shied away from and one that rarely got the attention it deserved in the series. Also enjoy you depiction of Paris nature and how he seems to be drawn as well...someone that can be an equal in the game of life. There are very few that could keep up with them and you illustrated that well in this tale! ;)
snow6835 chapter 1 . 7/2/2012
Wow! That was fantastic, dramatic and awesome in it's progression of B's feelings for Tom. You need to write more of these!
Runawaymetaphor chapter 1 . 7/2/2012
There's a lot to be loved here, so I can't quite decide. . .

"Distinctive, alerting her senses to … what? If she has to be saddled with these primitive Klingon instincts, it would be helpful if they came with subtitles."

"She tries to talk to Seska about it, but for a Maquis her friend sometimes seems oddly unfazed by rampant authoritarianism."

"But she knows that her words will continue to hang in that vast empty space they occupied together, and that sooner or later he will find them again. Find her."

. . .

Loved the voice in this throughout. And though it's always the Klingon side Torres is worried about, I'm oddly reminded of words once spoken in honor of another half-breed: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, hers was the most... human.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/2/2012
Wow. Great job on B'Elanna's POV. Just the right touch of sentiment and desire. Thanks so much for posting.
Cerulean.Phoenix7 chapter 1 . 7/1/2012
Very nicely done!

I like that this is broken up into segments with each of their respective episodes; it gives the piece nice progression and pacing.

You write B'Elanna exceptionally well, and I like that over time I could see her temper levelling out ever so slightly, as she seemed to calm after a few years on Voyager. The language was beautiful, and all the images of fire and burning were nicely placed.

One line that stood out for me, because of how incredibly witty it is:
"If she has to be saddled with these primitive Klingon instincts, it would be helpful if they came with subtitles." - love it!

Also, you give us tragedy in one instance:
"Her mouth tastes like ashes. How dare he make her feel so … so abandoned?"

And hope in another:
"She closes her eyes, but the bright light remains . And she knows she has run out of places to hide."

Not only does this capture the development of Tom and B'Elanna's relationship, but also the change in B'Elanna's character as she dealt with her demons, her fears and insecurities over those years.

Romance? More like this, and I'm in!

Great job!

CP7
Anke chapter 1 . 7/1/2012
So, heute bin ich zu müde für eine Review in "ausländisch" :-)
Die Entwicklung von B'Elannas Gefühlen über Indifferenz, Ablehnung, Freundschaft bis hin zum Happy End hast du sehr eindringlich dargestellt - obwohl ich persönlich ja nicht so der Fan des Episodenhaften bin, aber du kannst es halt :-)
beautyofsorrow chapter 1 . 6/29/2012
Dax promptly falls to her knees and begs Alpha Flyer to write more B'Elanna POV.

This was FANTASTIC. So many moments, so many memories... so much to say and no way to say it. You nailed it. Her voice, her emotions, her frustration and fear and hesitancy... yes. You, my friend, can do B'Elanna.

And romance? NOT a problem.

It's nigh impossible to pick a favorite, but the lines that stuck out to me most clearly were these:

"Barely notices when the Captain briefly lays a hand on her arm, to steady her. (What does she think she knows?)"

because they made me think. Hard.

Well done, my friend. Well, well done.
PinkAngel17 chapter 1 . 6/29/2012
Sooo good! I think it captured the lead up to their relationship really well. And the imagery was fantastic and so vivid. I loved the whole thing! :)
CrlkSeasons chapter 1 . 6/29/2012
Good for you! It takes courage to stretch yourself as a writer.
I liked your use of fire - so many images to play with, sparks, warmth, slow burn, heat and flames, even the cold when heat is absent.
I think that everyone can sympathize with B'Elanna's frustration. "If she has to be saddled with these ... instincts, it would be helpful if they came with subtitles." I liked that very much.
As a Post Script:- I thought that your line, "She wonders briefly why the Vidiians didn't take those eyes." made a chilling connection to Morgan Stuart's story, Survivor's Epitaph.
QuasiOuster chapter 1 . 6/29/2012
Well, you nailed it both in tone and in context. You really do B'Elanna's POV justice capturing all the complicated, wonderful (and difficult) sides to her. And you do it in a way that also gives a subtle insight into Tom as well. Each scene was so straightforward but you were able to infuse a great deal of complexity into each installment.

I hope it was an enjoyable challenge for you because the product is lovely. But it does remind me of how grossly and inexcusably behind I am on your other stories!