Reviews for and the Rockets' Red Glare
VG LittleBear chapter 5 . 2/19/2014
Hi, amazing what you did with the s9 cliffhanger! After getting my mind wrapped around the timing I really enjoyed what you did with our favorite team. I kinda hoped for Fornell to turn up too, but then you'd have needed another chapter, I'm sure.
Abby in chapter one was heart-rending, and strangely reminiscent of the lab scene in the s10 opening.
I kept wondering what kind of injuries you were imagining for Gibbs, having seen the rain of glass at the explosion. Temporarily needing a ramp, and 6 weeks after, he wasn't back at work? Yikes!
Ziva having a psychological reaction was brilliant, and Tony's sight down to fuzzy and hiding it from the team just so the DiNozzo thing to do.
All the worrying about loud noises and charcoal smell, I didn't know you cared, boss!
Thanks and cheers!
earthdragon chapter 5 . 12/2/2012
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I've read some good follow-ups to Season 9x24 but this was the best one by a long shot. It is certainly the most realistic, portraying the PTSD that they are all suffering from, not to mention the effects of the injuries suffered.

Of course, the team wouldn't be back at work so soon after such a traumatic event and it is more than likely that some of them would never be able to return to the same job.

Well done.
Belle of Books chapter 5 . 9/29/2012
I love this. And it was so much more realistic (if heartbreaking) than the actual show was :). I loved it for that reason. Well done.
daxam1216 chapter 5 . 9/7/2012
I just read your story and and it's really good. It's very real life but still in the spirit of our favorite show. Thanks for sharing with us.
Lidil chapter 5 . 9/6/2012
This.

This...is canon.
tonysmel chapter 5 . 8/29/2012
Sorry to be late to the party,but real life delayed my reading the last chapter...

And you made me cry.
I love how Tony used food to help Tim feel tied to the outside,and how Abby used it as an excuse to tie everyone together again. And in the end,the important thing is that they would always be tied together, whether to their old life or a new one.

So that's how I'll fill in the blanks, believing that they all manage to adapt and move on with their lives, and will always be there for each other, tied together, into the future..

Thanks so much. This was wonderful.
Mari83 chapter 5 . 8/11/2012
I agree with what another reviewer said, this is likely much more realistic than what they'll give us in September. Starting (and this might be unfair to say before S10 airs) with the injuries involved, the less immediately spectacular and visible, like the long-term effect of smoke and burning, a psychological trauma lasting longer than a few weeks, brain injury. (And while there seems to be an abundance of the latter it in fanfic, it's usually in its most extreme form.

"At that moment, Gibbs was certain that of his last three Directors, Vance was the only one who had the right combination of skills and experience to pull it off."
Couldn't agree more.

"Jimmy ..." Gibbs hesitated, looking for the words he needed to express his appreciation. "You know the respect I have for Dr. Mallard. I thought there would never be anyone who could fill his shoes here, when it came time. I was wrong." He saw the younger man's eyes widen and his beam widen in surprise ... and obvious pride. "I know that when Ducky decides to step down, he will do so without any concern that we will suffer for anything other than his company."
There's this rawness throughout the entire story, in the way they try to deal with their changed lives and something as formerly simply, but now complicated as a barbecue, existential things that usually remain unsaid but now need to be addressed.

"Hey, Gibbs, you came!" McGee beamed at him woozily."
:D Thanks for the little bit of levity, even if medication-induced.

"DiNozzo, what's going on with you that you don't think you'll be cleared for field work?"
Blunt and direct as always:-)

"Yeah, it's..." Tony paused, again trying to find words that would explain things as they were, but allow him to continue his denial of their meaning ... and their finality. "Two things – there are blind spots – there's this visual field test they do, and they found that some of my peripheral vision is gone. But it's better than it was; I got some places back that I couldn't see right afterward." He paused. "Then the other thing, the rest vision itself ..." He hesitated again, then shrugged. "It's kinda ... fuzzy."
Tony's admission was far more sad to read than any hospital bedside drama. Something he can and felt obliged to hide because he doesn't want to burden anybody anymore than they already are … and yet when Gibbs started talking about going back to the field, he drops those weary hints. Such a Tony-esque way of evasion and pretending, while underneath craving for Gibbs' acceptance.

"a group of co-workers, closer than many families, sharing a meal with those they'd never shared a meal before, in a home some had never visited and that, for nearly two decades, had rarely welcomed more than one or two visitors at a time; a group of people who had come through one of the most horrific events anyone could imagine, left with scars, both visible and invisible, that would mark them for the rest of their lives, for the moment laughing and teasing one another in a welcome return to the past."
This just captures it.

"You know, Jethro, of all the times we have shared a drink in your home – I don't know that we have ever done so above ground."
"Ya coulda got some real glasses from the kitchen, Duck," Gibbs smirked, taking the familiar jar from his friend.
"You tell him that, Duck?"
Ducky laughed in an indignant snort. "Of course! Not all of us are 'functional mutes,' as I believe I have heard you called."
I just always like them together. Gibbs is different around Ducky, for whom he's not team leader and father figure and now that all the heavy topics are at least out in the open they too can sit back for a bit for a moment.

Sigh, after this it will be hard not to be disappointed with the real S10.
ChEmMiE chapter 5 . 8/4/2012
Sad to see it over.. but LOVED this last chapter anyways :)
diana teo chapter 5 . 8/3/2012
Looking forward to seeing Brian Dietzen in the opening credits! Loved the 'meaty' part you gave Palmer,and Tony's admission to Gibbs about his vision problems and not being able to see the target was heart-wrenching. Amazing work,as usual! :)
petuniatc chapter 5 . 8/3/2012
Very good - and probably much more realistic than what they will do inSeptember.
Mari chapter 5 . 8/3/2012
Very moving ending... (And so sorry to be so behind with reviews)
Phosphorescent chapter 5 . 8/3/2012
An absolutely wonderful concluding chapter; there's pain, yes, but also hope and growth. Thank you so much for sharing this fic with us!
Guest chapter 5 . 8/3/2012
Great chapter
megamom2 chapter 5 . 8/3/2012
Thoughtful and believable!
finlaure chapter 5 . 8/3/2012
I want this to be the season opener! This is much more life like and touching and wonderful than Anything I have seen the writers for the show come up with.
THIS IS TERRIFIC!