Reviews for Kimberly's Ramblings
Guest chapter 7 . 7/6/2012
um the question
"In Mating Games 11, Father Maurice, Barnabas, and other gargoyles objected to Lexington, Robert and Marie becoming mates. But back in Mating Games 9, they didn't object to the idea of multiple mates when it was mentioned in that bull session!"

don't you mean rebecca?
Dante Parker chapter 1 . 1/17/2009
I have been reviewing the archives, and I have just realized that the Mrs. Printemps and Mrs. Simmons are the princess Finella and Mary. I hadn't realized that they were still alive (But I only recently gotten into gargoyles). I was wondering if anyone else knows more about how they will tie into the story, and how they have survived the time.
Wanderer3 chapter 8 . 1/11/2009
Ah yes, very good, quite enlightening. Keep up the great work overall. Gotta Blast! )

P.S. Hey anyone know what happened to the Gargoyles fan site...my link doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone else got this too?
Meggan B chapter 7 . 5/7/2008
Since this reviews page seems to have been turned into a public forum:

Jason, reread Christine Morgan's two-part story "Dark Beauty". Christine has no problem letting even a canon hero's warts show sometimes.

Now shall we take any further discussion to the station 8 chat room? That's where it belongs, really.
Jason Barnett chapter 7 . 5/7/2008
I've commented to Kimberley herself already but I wanted to say something to The Sadistic Cow.

The thing about Christine Morgan's fanfic universe is that even though she changed canon dramatically no one except the villains came off negatively. Sometimes not even them.
Aneirin Lewis chapter 7 . 5/7/2008
I must admit, when I first read Mating Games: Game Over I was a little bit ... dismayed, perhaps? at what had happened between Angela and Broadway.

...but then, I took a step back and looked at it in the context of them as characters but more specifically, the two of them as characters in YOUR UNIVERSE.

I realised, then, that your Angela and your Broadway just sort of don't work together. Perhaps they could have, but your Angela is in love with Gabriel, not Broadway...

At the time of reading I wasn't pleased at what had happened, but like I said up there, I've realised why you did it. I'm actually quite interested in how this is going to turn out now.

As for the whole "Ursula issue," well... Ursula's a person. She's not evil, she's not horrible, she's just a pereson who made a bad choice. She did it for good reasons, though, at least in her own mind.

If Hudson does find out about it then I hope they work through it, because they could make each other happy. As long as I'm interested in what you're writing I'll keep on reading it - I don't even have to like all of the characters, either.

Anyway, this is getting really long now so I'm going to end with: I'm enjoying it, so keep on writing.
The Sadistic Cow chapter 7 . 5/4/2008
Wow. I gotta say, Kimberly, some of your reviewers are a) taking things you say in your ramblings far too personally, and b) missing the point entirely. So I'm going to gear my comments more toward THEM than you.

In regards to Purplegoldfish's review... Perhaps I'm wrong in my assessment, but Angela didn't appear to realize how cruel she was actually being. You made a point of stating - or rather, forcing ANGELA to state/admit - that she had been in massive denial. She obviously wasn't thinking too deeply about it; she seemed more concerned with trying *not* to think about Gabriel than she was with the reality of what she was actually doing to Broadway.

Her position as second-in-command on Avalon was not equal to her brothers and sisters, either. While not a 'Princess' so much as she was in Manhattan, she retained a higher status - and thus garnered more respect than the average clan member. She's *had* that higher status for a very long time, too.

Finding a mate *was* a 'real perogative' for her. You explained quite clearly why, and why she did not/could not 'simply' choose from her brothers on Avalon, and why she used Broadway the way she did.

As for Broadway/Martha being 'cliche' and you proving your own theory about the "fat people prejudice" ... I think the prejudice was just proved AGAIN, but not by you. Rather than focusing on Martha's personality (which is VERY different from Broadway's), her *appearance* and *weight* were seized upon. Why? If you had *never* mentioned that Martha was plump, would reader reaction have been the same?

I highly doubt it.

Christine Morgan changed canon dramatically, but I don't see very many people crying foul at *her*.

Doppleganger said it quite well further down: "If I want canon I'll go to my Gargoyles DVDs and the comics. That's canon."

Keep up the great work, Kimberly! Totally looking forward to the next installment. :D
Purplegoldfish chapter 7 . 5/4/2008
This is gonna be long ;)

It never came into my head that you are anti-Angela. I like and agree with your assessment of her. I think she does have a lot of flaws-even continuing in the comics. (She bitches at Elisa for having a one time date, yet flaunts herself and Broadway around Brooklyn ALL THE TIME!) But I digress, I think you've been a little off the mark with her in this story arc. I don't think she's that cruel and manipulative as to force Broadway to lose that much weight in so little time. And yes she is the Princess of the Manhattan Clan-but this is just for a short time of her life. She's lived most of her life with a whole bunch of brothers and sisters, where everyone was most likely treated equally. And if finding a mate was a real perogative for her...well she did have a lot of brothers on Avalon to choose from. And I agree that there wasn't enough Gabriel/Ophelia to really say that's a pairing. But I also never saw physical attraction between Gabriel and Angela. But I know a lot of people did so I'm not judging you on that.

I think the one thing that I truly didn't like is that you put Broadway with Martha. Here's why: The heaviness factor. And I think you subconsciously prove your own theory on the unfair prejudice of people who are overweight. (You are absolutely right about that.) Martha basically comes across as a female version of Broadway. So you paired up the most disliked (by fans)heavyset gargoyle with the most disliked (by her siblings) heavyset gargoyle in your story. I think what angers people the most is that you broke up the canon pairing to make a cliche pairing. I personally like Broadway and Angela as a couple, and not just because Greg Weisman stated that they are. I really think they are well matched, and I can't see them with anyone else, just as I can't see Goliath and Elisa with anyone else.

Having said that, you're perfectly entitled to writing your story the way you want, but you have to expect negativity from people if you change the canon so dramatically. You're a wondeful writer and I will continue reading, but I feel more detached from your stories as before.
Geminia chapter 7 . 5/3/2008
Clears up the story a bit, thanks I cannot wait to get back to Elisa and Goliath though, they're my fav. characters. Also, you have some good points but like you said part of the fun in reading stories is having a million different ways to relate to the characters. Some people like certain characters better than others. Consider yourself an amazing author for being able to bring such depth to your pieces that readers have such strong reactions.

Gemini
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 7 . 5/3/2008
Irk...I wasn't falming you or criticizing you with my last review. I was just commenting, sharing my thoughts. I really never did see anything between Gabe & Angela. *Shrugs* I felt like some of those barbs (rambles) were directed at me (not all though)...uh I'm sorry if it felt like I was flaming. I really was just rambling myself.

It's fanfiction, not cannon. I am a huge fan of cannon myself and I've been working to incorporate a lot of what has been revealed into "Guardians of the Night". (FYI I'm seeking a Beta if you're interested/know someone who is) But as much as I wish it, it's still just Fanfiction. I'm not gonna flame you for using the characters in the way that you interpret them. That's your perogative. And just because I disagree with your opinion on something doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading your work. That's just dumb.

I guess that's all

Sleep Well

-G
Doppleganger33 chapter 7 . 5/3/2008
I think some people are missing the point of fanfiction. For me personally I do like fanfiction that makes use of canon and canon characters (and that's well written). But fanfiction is for FANS to write out their desires of what was not seen in a show, book, or television series. For me a fanfic with a self insert Mary Sue character falling in love with Brooklyn is just as valid as someone who writes a fanfic series that follows the source material to the letter. You may not necessarily read the Mary Sue insert story but it is fanfiction nonetheless.

I've read Merlin Missy's articles on fanfiction and she makes good points about authorial intent, canon, and OTP's. For me it's as simple as reading stuff that I know I will like, has good plot, and is well written. If I want canon I'll go to my "Gargoyles" DVDs and the comics. That's canon.

You made good points on Broadway's weight. Broadway was a pretty effective warrior even if he was a little "heavier" as they say than Brooklyn and Lexington. Take how agile he was in gliding when he outmaneuvered Xanatos' robots in Season 1. Or how he'd go toe to toe with the Coyote robot in Season 2. Size is not always a good indicator of how athletic a person is.

Heck by now you probably know I'm NOT a thin person. My job as a lab tech is a very physical job and I think I perform it efficiently. I'm the only one that DOES lab tech duties. My co-workers are often times very busy doing the R&D side of things. Oh and don't take this as a complaint. I like keeping busy. I'm about 220 lbs and 5'5" so...I'm not exactly what you could call an athletic sprinter. :)
Wispr chapter 6 . 4/6/2008
I just love how you flesh out the inner workings of the gargoyle mindset, really helps to understand them better.

Wispr chapter 5 . 4/6/2008
To me your Mating Games came across very down to earth in reagards to the Gargoyles situation.

Wispr chapter 4 . 4/6/2008
I rather like how you did the killing of the seventh Quarryman, it makes the Gargoyles "People" not paragons of virtue. It makes them believable.

Liking the rambling so far... gives me an interesting look into your mind... is that good thing? ;)

Wispr chapter 3 . 4/5/2008
I have to say you did a great job in regard to Marie. Oh... she's a bitch alright but along with her vileness and ego is an intelligences to. Really adds allot to a character that we can all hate even more! ;)