Reviews for The Lady of the Loch
SharKohen chapter 12 . 5/21/2016
I liked this take on Brave in general, though I'm sorry that Elinor had to leave. That said, the mythology parts are lots of fun and it has the mystery elements that I wish Brave had more of. The addition of Hicucp and Toothless feels a bit odd in the whole mix though, since Merida seems to be the main focus here, but they add a good touch. If I wanted more from this story though, it would be talking. There's a lot of cool action, but I would like to see more talking between Merida and Hiccup. I'm not a Merricup shipper, but I think it would have been interesting if they could really sit down and have some good conversations with each other. It'd add some heart to this rather dark story. But other than that, well conceived. This is what I would have Brave to be like.
Guest chapter 12 . 11/8/2015
I've read this twice now - I saw the gifset, wasn't sure if I'd read the whole thing, and came here for a re-read - and I really enjoyed it both times. The one critique I have is that I wanted more details on Elinor's perspective/background - I'm a sucker for selkie mythos, and would have loved more clarity on her relationship with Mor'du and how it affected her relationships with her children. (There was a line early on that mentioned wanting to get them away that intrigued me.)

The atmosphere of the story was excellent, though, and I felt you did an excellent job contrasting Hiccup's very scientific understanding of the world with Merida's more... spiritual isn't quite the right word, but 'mystical' sounds hokey... you get the point, I hope?
ElizabethBathog chapter 12 . 9/26/2015
This was great! Thank you for writing it! :)
Crescent Moon Dancer chapter 12 . 1/18/2015
Well. I apologize for not reviewing every chapter when I finished it, but I simply could take that much time, I had to get to the next one posthaste. I can leave a review now, though.
I honestly don't know what to say. This was a fabulous story, and the writing was amazing - sooooo much better than most the stuff I find on this site. The descriptions were vivid, the sentence structure was great, the emotion...gosh, the emotion. I was crying over the last couple of chapters so much I gave myself a headache. _ All in all, it's a truly amazing story. I loved it.
JanessaVR chapter 12 . 1/20/2014
In the end...I'm not really sure where this story went. On one hand I'm tempted to just classify it under Merida-bashing, but it wasn't badly written. I'm not sure if the moral is supposed to be "If your parents try to prostitute you out to some stranger for political gain, then just accept it, lie back and think of Scotland, and start pumping out grandkids on demand", or something else. Ultimately, this chapter seems more like an intermission than an ending. It appears there was a sequel, but you deleted it.
JanessaVR chapter 7 . 1/20/2014
Ok, not really liking Hiccup in this chapter - he shows a staggering lack of empathy. Here's someone who's situation is actually *worse* than his (she's basically being prostituted by her parents), and he wants her to stick around. Well, *there's* gratitude for you. She keeps his secret (and thus his dragon and best friend alive), gives him the badly needed aid he needs get home, and then he says "Oh well, too bad, sucks to be you, but I won't lift a finger to help" in regards to her problems. Real nice, Hiccup. I hope you don't ever need her help again - and if she *does* become queen one day, you've made a royal enemy.
JanessaVR chapter 6 . 1/20/2014
Whoops, previous review was from me. Not sure why I wasn't signed in.
Guest chapter 6 . 1/20/2014
I really didn't like Elinor in the film, and she's even more of a mega-bitch here. If I was in Merida's situation, I'd have strongly considered putting arrows in my *suitors*, not just the targets. The whole situation was barbaric - essentially auctioning their daughter off like a prize cow. I've been a fan of Brave fanfics where Merida runs and actually manages to *stay* away, finally escaping to her freedom. Besides which, technically speaking, she won the contest according to the rules. I vote for her hopping onto Toothless's back with Hiccup and never coming back.
JLdark chapter 7 . 12/12/2013
Hahaha Hiccup is lost of words, Merida had her victory in a rough day, so more fey, they can be really dangerous especially if they ask for something that you hold dear the most.
JLdark chapter 6 . 12/12/2013
That must really hurt Merida and Elinor in a emotional way, I really feel sorry for Merida she must feel bad, bu she crossed a very thin line with her mother, that I hope the two of them can resolve.
JLdark chapter 5 . 12/12/2013
Poor Hiccup! He always get in dangerous places, at least Merida is cover him and the king already like him hahaha, only the queen doesn't trust our troubled hero but only because of Merida?
Guest chapter 3 . 12/12/2013
I like how you tell us about the details of how Merida track Hiccup, and more details give more ambient to the world, so the will o' wisp I like hoe they are a guide in the fey world, they made it the fantasy alive.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/12/2013
What a pleasant surprise to read that Mor'du is not a bear, now he is more dangerous than ever but that doesn't stop King Fergus to fight the dragon and rescue the future Queen, I really like how you adapt that part of how they met the Queen and King are very affectionate in the movie and is really interesting how you made them met´╝Ä
Rue Nightrose chapter 12 . 11/8/2013
I just love this story. The Celtic aspects were very well incorporated, you did such justice to the world that the movie only hinted at. I can't wait to read the sequel to this. Amazing work, the transitioning, characters, and your storytelling evoked a real world.
DreamaDove93 chapter 5 . 10/31/2013
Haha, smart girl, Merida! Elinor is less likely to yell at her with a guest present xD I love how you're handling their characters, this is a great story indeed!