Reviews for Fire and Ice
BabyKay47 chapter 1 . 1/29
I'm totally with you about making Callista a one-dimensional bitch in stories. If your characters are one-dimensional, a) that's bad writing, and b) what's the point? You might as well just not write the character in the story at all and make people suffer through loathsome characterization.

But I have to disagree with you about the Mara/Callista scene in Darksaber being unnecessary. I read most of the EU/Legends books back when I was a kid, and am trying to re-read/skim through them again now as an adult, and it has come to my attention that between Zahn's original trilogy and the duology where Luke/Mara fall in love, there was no interaction that seemed to indicate there were any romantic feelings between them at all except for their interactions in Darksaber. Could they have been different? Yep. Should there have been more throughout the EU/Legends books? Heck yeah! But because there's not a lot (unless you can point me in the right direction) that gives this one scene a lot of significance.

I for one liked the original. Neither woman came off like a bitch, but it gave at least a hint of Mara's feelings for Luke whether she realized them or not, without making her act jealous. So what I didn't like about this story was that Mara came off super-bitchy-attacking a woman because she has unacknowledged feelings for Luke, which was even less subtle than KJA.

But surprisingly, I liked everything else. You pulled off first person, which is really tricky and gave a Callista a sympathetic voice. I never cared for Callista because she was never developed beyond a love interest for Luke, and somehow even that-her one purpose-was done poorly. But you gave her great insights, how she wants to be more than just Luke's girlfriend, and her distrust of Mara as Palpatine's protegee, and not just potential competition for Luke's affections makes her motivations more interesting. And she made a good point-why would she be playing around with Luke's heart? I also liked her realization that no one could feel her through the Force which gives her understanding about why she's been feeling so isolated.

Unfortunately, I think the Mara being mean to poor, poor Callista was a bit overdone-but I loved that Mara told her she was like a ghost, that was stone cold and really had to smart, but I could see Mara saying something like that.

I think your Callista is more interesting, but I'm glad this never really happened. I would have been interested to see how Luke reacted to Mara attacking Callista. He would have to ask himself why she would do that, and then maybe realize that her feelings for him aren't as antagonistic as she likes to let on, and then he could perhaps realize that his feelings for her are stronger than just friendship. Because that's the only way this story could end, right?
Drake chapter 1 . 5/20/2006
I always feel odd, reviewing stories so long after they have been written, as though the author will surely not see it. But I really felt compelled to say something about this one. I think you've done an excellent job of showing both of them, here. Too often have I seen Mara turned into some lovesick sap who has totally forsaken her backround. No matter how much authors romanticize her, I can't see Mara ever turning into a sap who would hesitate to lash out at people she feels threatened by. And while I can't abide Callista, (something about her just gives me the creeps) I think you've treated her far more fairly than most authors do. I also think it important to remember that at least canonically, Mara and Luke are not in love. They both were hit by a revelation when their bond strengthened and they realised their potential for something more. Mara might hate Callista, but I don't think she's exactly jealous, at this point, and you showed this very well. Top notch!
FireJade chapter 1 . 11/11/2005
Great job, Varghona! I agree that the view on Callista is too one-dimensional, probably because she hasn't been mentioned very much in EU (3 books and that's it!). I enjoyed reading about Callista as a deeper character. Mara was also characterized really well, and I thought it kind of funny when I found that the last thing either of them wants to do is break down in front of the other. :D

FireJade
Mireille chapter 1 . 9/24/2005
Oh boy, talk about a face-off! Great job! I especially loved your depiction of Mara. I remembered reading this story from a long time ago and I was glad to find it again after all that time!

Thanks for the great story!

Keep up the great job!

Love

Mireille '.'
Daae chapter 1 . 7/7/2005
I've actually never read KJA's version of the Mara-Callista meeting; in fact, I only know of Mara and Callista through fanfiction. However, I thought your story was well written and probably much, much better than the "original" version, whatever that might be. I liked that you wrote from Callista's POV, in order to portray her as a more sympathetic character. It's annoying that all the fanfic authors seem to hate her so much.
Blodeuedd chapter 1 . 6/23/2005
Quite simply, wow. The friction you've built up here between the two women is effortless and natural. I'm a die-hard Jade-hater, so I can't say that I've been made completely neutral by this story, but you came the closest of a lot of writers in making these women both the multifaceted, vibrant, and real people they deserve to be. Making Callista so cynical and hardened, but also self-conscious and sensitive, is a definite plus in my book; this is a well-earned and appreciated departure from her usual 'bare bones' and one-dimensional portrayal in the novels and fan work alike. This is truly brilliant piece, better than the large majority of Star Wars fanfiction I've read lately, and I am very much impressed by your skill. Thank you so much for sharing; 'Fire and Ice' is certainly more than deserving of a place in my favorites.
Heaven's Reaper chapter 1 . 9/13/2004
Great story. Sorry for sad review.
Lisa chapter 1 . 6/2/2004
Truely stunning
Ysaengwen chapter 1 . 3/16/2004
Callista rox! Mara is a bitch!
Joe Malfoy chapter 1 . 9/16/2003
Mare rox! Callista is a bitch
Allison Lane chapter 1 . 1/19/2003
My God. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Callista is far and away my favorite SW character; I despise what KJA did to her in Darksaber; and I especially despise Mara Jade, but this was exactly what I needed to read in place of KJA's rot. You fleshed out that meeting and made it believable. And yes, a huge thank you for not making Callista the bxtch of the century-all my applause goes to you for that. Bravo... this one is going on my favorites.
Wezen Solo chapter 1 . 4/5/2002
Absolutely wonderful. Truly remarkable story and one that doesn't end with a cat fight and a love triangle. Yippee! ) I'll never really understand those people who just _hate_ Callista any more than those who _hate_ Jar Jar Binks. I happen to like them both! Okay, enough of my rant. Great story. I look forward to seeing more from you in the future. )
Konran no Tenshi chapter 1 . 3/14/2002
Yay! Wonderful job! I really love Callista, she's one of my favorite characters (as is Mara Jade), and I can't understand why anyone would want to hate either of them. Awesome confrontation! You should do another! (I've always wondered what would happen if Callista were to regain her powers and come back for Luke only to find him married to Mara...)

~*Konran-chan*~
Ambassador Cara Jade chapter 1 . 1/28/2002
Wow! You really have talent...would you mind re-writing the rest of the book? After the beauty that was "Children of the Jedi," KJA certainly fell short. But what we have here is a perfect idea of what this meeting should have been like. I really like how you've portrayed Callista here...this is how I imagine her! What a relief it is to read some fic that doesn't condemn her. I am a big fan of both Mara and Callista, and I hate that people think that only one of them can be good and right. Thank you for proving them wrong. Excellent work!
SkywalkerChild chapter 1 . 7/27/2001
Thank you...that made me feel much better. Although I really wanted to see Callista kick her ass.