Reviews for The Dark Lords Ascendant
Rowan Seven chapter 10 . 11/16/2014
SPOILERS!

Well, that escalated quickly, and you did a fantastic job temporarily shifting the genre to semi-Cthulhu mythos horror. Ekim's Nameless One's army made for a very enjoyable battle. The dimensional horrors may have been little more than cannon fodder, but their quantity gave them a dangerous quality and that type of enemy is very useful for putting the protagonists in a tight spot that forces cooperation. However much two groups may distrust or dislike each other, it's hard not to work together when the alternative is Cthulhu-esque monstrosities breaking out into the world. You demonstrated great skill at describing the action and keeping everyone involved in focus, and the climax was unexpected and brilliantly raised the stakes. Now Helios and the Golden Crystal are both potentially involved in this conflict, as well as another original creation. Melinoe is an intriguing addition to the story who seems very well thought-out, and, since I doubt you'd introduce her simply for coolness's sake, I'm looking forward to seeing how her role plays out.

On the character front, I really liked how you portrayed both Ranma and Sailor Moon. Ranma breaking his own leg to slow Ekim down and then scrawling an insult to leave behind struck me as an incredibly authentic moment for the character, as was Sailor Moon's herculean struggle to remain conscious and free Ranma from his possession. The latter is what anyone who's watched the Sailor Moon anime would expect from her, but you went deeper than expectations and touched upon Sailor Moon's motivations and what it means to her to protect her friends.

The Sailor Senshi revealing their identities to their families was handled well (particularly in Ikuko's case), and I hope the reactions are further explored in the coming chapters. There's a lot of rich character material you can mine with this, and while the main plots should keep priority it would be nice if you can occasionally weave back to touch on this and how it changes the dynamics within their families.

I'm going to assume the Outer Senshi and Ryouga made a detour inside his house on the way to Haruka's car so he could put on a shirt. He was bare-chested at the end of Chapter 9, and while it's amusing picturing him still shirtless in this chapter I doubt that was your intention. Regardless, it was fun seeing the reactions to his explanation, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Inner Senshi's responses to the tale in the next chapter. There are still reasons for them to have doubts, but learning that Ryo is alive should convince the Senshi to give the Wrecking Crew the benefit of the doubt long enough to stage a joint rescue operation.

Anyway, I don't have much more to say about this chapter, but I do want to commend you for how well you're sustaining the tension and balancing it with moments of brilliant humor (such as Ekim-possessed, magically corrupted Ranma bursting out of the apartment just as Akane explained that he isn't a Dark Lord). It can be hard to worry about the protagonists when both groups have such a long history of successfully overcoming gargantuan odds, but the dangers here are great enough to be legitimately threatening and the personal stakes keep the conflicts compelling.

As for criticisms, there's really not much that bothered me while reading this chapter. Your beta-reader(s?) did a great job combing through the chapter, and the only thing that bothered me, content-wise, was Ekim. You mentioned several times how what he was doing was risky (i.e., adding his own blood to the ritual, casting complex spells in someone else's body, etc.), and I feel some of those risks should have materialized. Otherwise, why mention how dangerous it is? That's only a minor distraction from a fantastic update, though, and I wish you good luck as you continue writing this.
Curtis Wildcat chapter 10 . 11/13/2014
I feel that this story gets increasingly insane with each passing chapter. Mind you, the way things are shaping up for all parties, this isn't a bad thing by any means. :D
Pata Hikari chapter 10 . 11/12/2014
"Sailor Mercury sat down with a thump, eyes looking in Ranma's direction but not really focusing on him. At last she spoke again. "That makes no sense," she said, almost plaintively."

This is perfect.

Sailor Pluto realizing the entire thing is just to *stupid* not to be true is also perfect.

I could read an entire chapter of the Senshi just getting increasingly befuddled at the absurd lives Ranma and company live.
kaoslord1982 chapter 1 . 11/12/2014
Keep it coming please. I've never watched Sailor Moon, or read the manga (but if anything can make me change that, it might be this story). Even so, I've had no difficulty understanding this story, or the previous one, which to my mind is the mark excellent writing.

Very well done.
sandcrawlr chapter 10 . 11/12/2014
That was amazing. I had feared the story unfinished forever. Thank you for continuing it, and I apologize for having doubted you. :) Keep up the writing!
WanderingStarmaster chapter 10 . 11/11/2014
As Kasumi would say, oh my! Begin Act II?

So we now have new pieces on the board, the NWC and Senshi have finally sorted themselves out, and can unit against their common enemy, who now has nothing to hold him back. Why do I feel this is a last Ray of sunshine before a very black storm?

Have I ever mentioned how epic your writing is? Those action scenes are incredible. And you still manage to find little humorous tidbits to throw in. Nice to catch that brick from the clinic.

Keep it up.
sirensoundwave chapter 10 . 11/11/2014
Hey! An accord is reached!

After ten chapters, everyone's identity unravels spectacularly, half the senshi and Ran-chan get knocked silly and the bad guys show they mean business. Yup, that old "May you live in interesting times" curse is really ridin these guys HARD.

Update soon!
CoreDumpError chapter 10 . 11/10/2014
I love it! This chapter was super intense, and it's sooooo satisfying to finally see the misunderstanding corrected, and the Senshi and Ranma parties no longer enemies.

The time for Tanizaki's big play is finally upon us, though... and I'm not sure which way the wind will blow, especially with Melinoe to consider...
DarkJackel chapter 10 . 11/10/2014
Nice way of handling the fight with Ekim. Makes one wonder about the monster he serves. Additionally what would be the side-effects of purification on him. It also gives a good reason for the Senshi and Wrecking Crew to fight together. Usagi showed some creative thinking in trying to use a possible curse against him. The two of them having exchange after the battle was nice too.

Ranma reminding Ami of the time she visited the clinic was a fine touch. It brilliantly sets up a possible pow wow (possibly at the clinic or other secure location) where the NWC tells their story. Hopefully, in the name of security, the Senshi's parents will be there to serve as a Greek choir. Especially when the Senshi are too gobsmacked by the truth to speak.

Having already heard it once maybe the Outers can get in some comments.

While Tanizaki and Metzger might be suspecting an immediate attack it would also be nice to see them piece-up an alliance and lay out some plans. Part of that would be keeping things safe while their heavy-hitters recover their strength. Hopefully Mercury had her computer scan Moon while she was being drained. With that she, Cologne and maybe Tofu and/or a Youma or two could devise some way to limit the drain, or even counteract it to spur Tanizaki to unleashing the beast.

During the recovery they might be able to deal with Tanizaki's assassin. Then comes the Dark Kingdom situation. Also how will he react to his test mercs going on a rampage?

Nice chapter, looking forward to the next. Thanks for the work.

-_-Me-_-

-_-Me-_-
Andrew MacKenzie chapter 10 . 11/10/2014
Excellent chapter, I feel the end of the story arc coming soon.
Guest chapter 10 . 11/10/2014
Good chapter, it's nice to see things finally settle between the nerima group and the senshi. Also love the language used when describing just what forces are at play it's sort of funny to think of senshi stuff on those terms.
The Dread One chapter 10 . 11/10/2014
Its always the highlight of my week whenever this gets updated. Words can't really describe how much I love this saga. Out of a decade and a half of reading fanfiction , out of the hundreds or more fics I've read. This is definitely in my top three. Keep up the great work.
Kriss1989 chapter 10 . 11/10/2014
Ah Ryoga, only you would justify a plan with "we've done stupider plans before, so why not?"
MangamanZX chapter 10 . 11/10/2014
Great chapter, Ranma turining into a girl has never been so convinient :)
psychicshipping chapter 10 . 11/10/2014
Things actually going Ranma and co.'s way for once? BLASPHEMY! There must be some horrendous disaster incoming to balance the karmic scales! EVERYONE, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
652 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »