Reviews for The Dark Lords Ascendant
Hat O' Doom chapter 6 . 8/24/2013
Excellent chapter. I don't have any constructive criticism just thanks that you are providing me with great entertainment. I like what you are doing with the villains so far. They seem more real now that you have expanded on them and the tie between Mousse and Zhang is intriguing. What is the inspiration for that organization? Also, poor Ryouga. His body is always getting thrashed.
benign intent chapter 6 . 8/15/2013
Even when I should suspect by now... This is brilliant writing, and it's wonderful to come by every so often to an update. I'm logged in (for once), and though I'm not sure quite what to say now (Noooo! you were so close, Ranma!) , you should know that I really love this series of stories!
Maximara chapter 1 . 8/11/2013
The Doom Phantom's comment reflects something weird about Sailor Moon. He is supposedly an agent of Chaos but life itself is chaotic so why is he and all these agents of chaos out to kill everybody?

If anything he comes off more like the Auditors of the Diskworld, agents of ORDER, who if they could would kill every living thing because life by its very nature is disorderly...especially intelligent life.

More over the anime indicates Chaos (and therefore its agents) are a product of human minds/hearts:

Sailor Galaxia: Is Chaos gone?
Sailor Moon: I think it went back to where it belongs.
Sailor Galaxia: Where it belongs?
Sailor Moon: Yes, back to people's minds (or hearts).

But if Chaos (and therefore the Doom Phantom) are the product of people's minds (or hearts) then if everyone was dead wouldn't THEY stop existing as well? Suicide by proxi?

On a side note I have to wonder if Doom Phantom is partly based on the DC villain the Time Trapper who may be based on an even earlier character form the pulp era:

While the "The Time Trapper" first appeared in in Adventure Comics #317 (February 1964) in a story written by Edmond Hamilton, a similar character named "The Time Master" had appeared earlier in Wonder Woman #101 (October 1958) in a story written by Robert Kanigher. In Super Friends #17 (February 1979), writer E. Nelson Bridwell wrote a story that hinted that the two characters were one and the same.

Now "In the World's Dusk" (Weird Tales 1936) by Edmond Hamilton had a character called Galos Gann who is the last living human being-a withered figure, cloaked entirely in robes, who sits brooding in a towering hall in the desert wastelands of the Earth in the distant future.

"Gann uses his super-scientific knowledge to try to revive the human race, only to be thwarted at every turn: he returns the dead to life, only to find that they cannot propagate, and pulls men and women from the distant past to act as breeding stock, a process that drives them hopelessly insane. One of his resurrected subjects describes Gann's struggle against entropy:

The dead man said hollowly, "You strive against the inevitable like a child breaking his hands against a door of marble. It is the law of the universe that everything which exists must come some day to an end. Planets wither and die and fall back into their parent suns, and suns strike one against the other and are transformed into nebulae, and the nebulae last not but in turn condense into other suns and worlds that in their own turn must die.

How shall you hope amid this universal law of death to keep the race of man forever living? We have lived a fair life for many million million years, we have struggled and won and lost, have laughed in the sunlight and dreamed under the stars, have played our part in the mighty drama of eternity. Now it is time we pass to our appointed end."" (Wikipecia talk page on Time Trapper)

Now look at how the Time Trapper is described in LSH #50 (1988) pg 1-2 repeated 42-43 (which pre-dates Sailor Moon initial release by three years (1991)) and not the similarities to the Doom Phantom:

"All things have ended here, even those that never began. Dreams have crumbled to dust, and lives faded out of memory. In all the universe, it seems there only remaining energy enough to swirl the fragments of the past and abandon hope of the future... They called this the End of Time and pray it will not come in their lifetimes. They have called him by a 1000 names. He is Night, Death, Apocalypse, Eternity, Entropy, Time. **To all that live, all that moves, all that hope that tomorrow will dawn, he is the enemy.** This is his kingdom and its day has come."

Crystal Tokyo seems to have elements of both Galos Gann (Neo-Queen Serenity) and the Time Trapper (Wiseman). It is even more telling at the main battle starts in the 30th century...the main target of the Time Trapper during the Silver Age of comics.
Rowan Seven chapter 6 . 8/11/2013
SPOILERS!

Heh. So, Ryouga made it all the way to chapter 6 before being injured so badly that he needs professional medical attention. He didn't quite beat his record of chapter 12 in the first installment, but it's a better showing than his death in chapter 3 of the immediate prequel. Hopefully he's learned a few rapid recovery techniques in the intervening years since it seems he falls under "the hero must suffer!" convention. Great job describing his fight with Sailor Saturn, by the way. The battle was frenetic, tense, and full of action with both combatants putting in a strong showing. I was very impressed by how ably you were able to depict Saturn's cataclysmic power and convey a sense of high-speed destruction as she and Ryouga went at it. I also liked part where Ryouga got ready to fight the Outer Senshi three-on-one only to have Saturn send Uranus and Neptune away so she could hold back less. The odds only seemed against him, and then Saturn dialed things up to eleven.

The Nerima Wrecking Crew's battle against the Sailor Senshi was similarly captivating, and I was pleased to see the Senshi do so well and even come out ahead. I'm sure people can argue about power levels one way or another, but I liked what I saw here and it all seemed reasonable to me. Unlike Ranma's previous encounter with the Senshi, this time they were prepared and had an ace even they didn't know about, while Ranma entered the battle overconfident in his plan. The only criticism about the battle that comes to mind is that Konatsu seemed to disappear after his first exchange with Sailor Mars. Ranma, Akane, and Shampoo remained in focus and you threw in the occasional reference to Mousse and Kuno (Nice irony with Kuno rescuing Ranma, by the way), but I don't recall seeing any other mentions of Konatsu until they all fled the building. He may be a ninja, but I would still like to see what he's up to now and then.

This chapter also did a splendid job moving the plot forward. I hadn't made the connection before between Unit Zero and Usagi's stumble in chapter three and had expected Zhang to lead a more direct attack against the Senshi. What happened instead caught me by surprise and raises further questions about the resources Kazuo is calling upon. His self-confidence reminds me of Ranma at times, and now that Ranma's chaos factor has entered the scene I can't help but wonder if Kazuo's intricate plotting will go the way most of Ranma's schemes do. The Senshi beginning to get suspicious about why the "Dark Lords" always target the moon cats first was also a nice touch, and I'm very eager to see what their next move is going to be.

I'm also somewhat amused that Ryouga seems to have made a better impression than Ranma and that the Outer Senshi might now have a more positive opinion of the "Dark Lords" than the Inner Senshi. Ryouga didn't do more than restrain Uranus and Neptune despite having them at his mercy and saved Saturn's life, and I'm especially interested in seeing if you develop the dynamics between the latter and Ryouga further. Both Saturn and Ryouga are associated with destruction, so maybe a friendship can eventually spring from this. And then there's Zhang and Mousse's history, which appears to be building off the sword you introduced way back in the original story. I'm intrigued.

Anyway, many thanks for continuing to work on and publish this story, and you have my apologies for taking so long to write this review. Work and travel have kept me fairly busy recently. Good luck on the next chapter.
MaximilianShade chapter 6 . 8/1/2013
Ackpth! Everything went so horribly wrong! Curse Zhang and his associates! ... Excellent excellent stuff as always, and I can't wait to see where this goes. Please continue writing!
Helafol chapter 6 . 7/30/2013
You have out done yourself again. Truly, I can never quite tell where your going, though I'm starting to think I should just apply Murphy's law to everyone.
quickshot0 chapter 6 . 7/28/2013
Oh dear, that went more horribly wrong then one might have suspected it might have...
SolipsismTrigger chapter 6 . 7/28/2013
Awesome chapter, great fights scenes as always. Hopefully next chapter we'll finally get some answers about our villains.
Anon chapter 6 . 7/27/2013
I'd say this was good but as I mentioned on SB, the lack of beneda and the can't catch up from everyone thats not Ranma Ryouga and Mousse really kind of pisses me off, especially the former since she's appeared so little and is a central character.
SixPerfections chapter 6 . 7/25/2013
Man this is one of the most just ridiculously entertaining stories I have had the privilege to read. This is totally amazing hahaha. You are a very talented writer. You should write novels or something. WIll be waiting for the next chapter. Very good stuff!
LordOfTheAndain chapter 6 . 7/24/2013
Very nice, it's always a pleasure finding out you've updated! There was just one little detail that kept bugging me this time: what happened to Sailor Mars and Konatsu? They ended up facing each other fairly early in the fight, and then neither was mentioned again until it was all over. I can't see them just standing there looking at each other's pained grimaces for very long... :)
Y.Rako chapter 6 . 7/23/2013
You must have a special place in your heart for Ryouga, for using him as the story's punching bag so frequently.
Wow, you really had me there when Ranma surrendered, I actually thought for a moment that something in this story was going to be as straightforward as it first appeared.
Ranma's showing (performance) against the inner senshi felt pretty underwhelming all things considered, or did he just not take the fight too seriously because of the plan?
sandcrawlr chapter 6 . 7/23/2013
That was a crazy chapter. Great fight scenes and plot twists. Loved it. Keep up the writing!
blarglflargl chapter 6 . 7/22/2013
The one thing I love most about this story is how believable the various misunderstandings that drive the story are, while still keeping things humorous and interesting. Far too often, in Ranma fanfic and even canon, the story is driven by characters being insane or acting in a completely unreasonable fashion, but it's handled much better here. The Dark Lord characters are generally rational and act in their own self interest, and their reactions to the misunderstandings that they stumble into are completely reasonable. Its really a breathe of fresh air.
skywiseskychan chapter 6 . 7/22/2013
Well this was a wonderful way to ensure eternal hatred on the senshi's part. Sadly. I hope Mercury has a recording of the battle, and enough dispassion to view the results analitically or that people will believe Saturn about Ryoga saving her life, but with Usagi out like that it doesn't look good for reconcilliation.

I also hope that Zhang and his group don't manage to make the Dark Lords look any worse than they already do!
958 | « Prev Page 1 .. 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 .. Last Next »