Reviews for A Letter Home
deets1 chapter 1 . 12/20/2012
Very cute story. I love how Merida is so obvlivious. XD
Anony9 chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
Daw! This is just precious, I absolutely love it very much! Thank you for writing this. May God Bless,
Sincerely,
Anony9.

P.S. Merida/Young MacGuffin Forever! ;)
HAFanForever chapter 1 . 11/18/2012
I like this whole idea of Merida traveling to the clans with Fergus in order to get to know the sons of the lords, and then telling all of the details to Elinor in a letter.

I like the differences you describe for each visit to the clans, starting with Dingwall. Wee Dingwall is kind of dumb and oblivious to his surroundings, but if it's just him and his father, I guess that may account for something. I even remember in the end of the movie, it was shown that he did like Merida, because he was the only suitor seen kissing Merida's hand and arm goodbye a few times, even though it disgusted her. Since he's more underdeveloped than the other two suitors, I'm not sure I'd say he's a perfect match for her, even if he does like her. He's just very scrawny, short, and clumsy, which isn't a good physical match for Merida, and I just figured he wasn't very good at archery, because his win at the games was accidental. They'd probably be much better off as good friends, even if he seems to like her a lot more than she would like him.

So then with Macintosh, a feast was actually prepared, but I'm sure Merida was uncomfortable when she had to dine with women she didn't even know. If Merida thought Elinor was strict, I think she can be thankfful just to have Elinor as her mother over Lady Macintosh. And if she got along with his sister over him and his mother, I'm sure even though she's a tomboy, Merida would wish for a sister as well. I think part of why she loves her brothers is because they are mischievous and pretty fearless like she is. But even like I said for Wee Dingwall, I think Young Macintosh is developed enough to say that he's also not a good match for Merida. When he was first introduced, he tried to impress her by swinging his sword and flexing his muscles, but I think that told Merida right away that he was vain and a showoff, and she absolutely did not want someone like that. She also wasn't impressed by his tantrum when he missed the bulls eye at the games. Merida is too strong-willed and far from dumb like other fan girls to swoon over Young Macintosh's appearance. He's not right for her at all, especially if he just thinks that she would give him all the attention he thinks he deserves if they did end up together.

Moving on to MacGuffin, I figured that this clan had a few more children, because Lord MacGuffin introduced his son as his oldest son, so he has at least one other and maybe some more kids. Except for him, nothing else clarifies about the families for the other two lords. Anyway, I had read that the filmmakers were going to pair Merida with Young MacGuffin before deciding to keep her single, and the descriptions you give for him here sound good enough as to why Merida would have chosen him, especially since he is calm, quiet, and shy, which is a great difference from the other suitors, but more so from Young Macintosh. But from the time she spends with Young MacGuffin here on the trip, like when they ride together and when he offers her his cloak, shows that he's starting to care about her, and that could lead to her ultimately choosing him for a husband. And I'm sure that she would blush when his sisters would tell her that he said, years ago, about how Merida was the prettiest lass he ever saw. I'm sure Wee Dingwall was the only other one to think that, because if Young Macintosh cares about a person's looks, they would be his own. XD

I think Elinor would be very touched upon receiving a letter from Merida about her travels. Even though Merida's older now, I think Elinor will still be there to be Merida's confidant, especially if Merida's starting to feel any feelings for the lords' sons. Ever since the journey together in the movie, both of them have changed, and I know they would vow to be there for each other from then on.

Great work. :D
Guest chapter 1 . 11/14/2012
Definitely my favorite of the three suitors. Thank you for taking the time to post this.
Shahrezad1 chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
This is a lovely piece of reflection from the girl herself. I adored how her view slowly shifted with each visit and we were able to compare the households of the different families and see which was the mostly likely fit.

On that note, each one of them was extremely well-rounded. I felt as though I could walk right into any of their manors and lands and expect a reception from the clans. The MacGuffin clan was particularly enjoyable, as each of Ian's sisters and brother were described. And you could see that the home that he was brought up in has influenced him so that he's become the man that he is-humble and caring and considerate, even when it comes to sacrificing his own comfort (whether it be sleep or warmth).

Excellent work. If you ever decide to create a sequel, I wouldn't be opposed to it. :)
GAM3R G1RL 13 chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
This has been one of my favorite stories so far in the Brave section. I love how you describe each and every place with such detail and very pointedly give Merida's thoughts and opinions for each one.
Her inner conflict is greatly detailed and is something that is hard for a lot of authors to convey, but you execute so beautifully.

I greatly appreciate the massive MeridaxMacGuffin hints through the end of the story. It seems that this is the majority pairing in Brave canon :)

Thank you for this wonderful story!
Kkornelia chapter 1 . 8/13/2012
Great concept and beautiful execution. :)
Thanks for the read.
sakura-light-angel chapter 1 . 7/21/2012
I really liked it :D I think you stayed true to Ian MacGuffin :D he is such a cutie pie 3
inu-rulz chapter 1 . 7/13/2012
this was a really cute story. i hope and wish that you elaborate on it, maybe making a spin-off of her time in macguffin, and maybe some growing feelings of ian...? lol ;)
Guest chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
This was amazing! Please wright a longer version. )
Guest chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
I liked it. Keep up the good work!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
awwwww...
Crystalkyubbi-chan chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
I really like the way you've written this. You fit the time period really well. And I like the way you described each clans household (castles?) I feel like it's the best Brave one-shot I've read yet. :)
FireChildSlytherin5 chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
0oh GREAT letter and one-shot. :)
Greathe chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
What a sweet story. And it is in character for Merida to not immediately fall head over heals for Ian.

Also, I have to ask, almost every story I've read has given Young MacGuffin the first name Ian; coincidence, or is there a basis for it that I missed when I saw the movie?

Would love to see a follow up.