Reviews for red grass
Cheile chapter 1 . 7/31/2015
Hiya! I'm here to review you for the Hostile Takeover forum's Level Up! competition. Stop by sometime, we'd love to have you.

This is a really great way to use blood (red) as a prompt by illustrating the bloodbath through the eyes of the Careers. Bleeding bodies strewn all about would normally disturb people, esp most young people, but these are Careers, trained to kill. It does indeed strengthen them to have true kills in the Games now on their record for all of Panem to see.

I like the creepiness of how the bodies nearest the Cornucopia have gotten just enough blood on it to have turned it "maroon". The glittering symbol of the Capitol is now tarnished with another layer of the blood of children.

The last couple lines are a nice back and forth – the Careers don't care, this is victory to them. they are unaffected by death. Yet, they are affected on a deeper level because those they have killed make them one step closer to potential victory – and their own survival/chance of going home.

SPAG:
[effected] - affected

Nicely done :)
Nameless5387 chapter 1 . 9/28/2013
This is good. When I first saw the title of this story, I wondered how grass could be red, but now I know, and I think it's a very smart and interesting approach on the colour 'red'. I thought the one-shot was very descriptive and painted a dismal mood with just a twinge of hope at the end. Good job :)
TheWriterOnFire chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
This really doesn't qualify as a oneshot, it's really a Drabble. I think that it was good, but there was a lot of showing but not telling here. The line about the blood painting the Cornucopia was brilliant.
HeartOfParadise chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
For such a short piece, you've got a lot across. The description of the blood and the surrounding, a kind of detached description that focused on the small details like the colours and the way those colours dripped, are brilliant. Just goes to show the Career mindset very well, echoed in the way the last line said that blood meant home (as long as it's somebody else's blood being spilt).
You've got me wanting more though. It's like offering me a tiny piece of chocolate cake and expecting me to be satisfied xD
Saint Sayaka chapter 1 . 7/8/2012
Short and sweet, though I wish it was explained a little better. The smell of the bodies? The color of the sky? Though I guess I should not nitpick; you did describe the colors of other things quite well. I think it could of done with some length, though.

Regardless of what I just said, good job.

Xx Write on, keep calm, and carry on! The Legend of Derpy, Proud Member of Critics United xX
sangkar chapter 1 . 7/6/2012
Oooh, nice and gory and depressing, just the type of fic I love. xD Good job.