Reviews for The Old Lie
becca85 chapter 1 . 11/21/2012
I can understand where you feel an army background makes sense. I've read enough fanfic stories detailing Clint's pre-Avengers/pre-SHIELD life to easily accept an army (more specifically, sniper) background for him. It's where he perfected his skills.

Great story!

- Becca
BlueBoxForever chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
I like your head canon better than the comics cause they flat out don't make sense.
MavenAlysse chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
Love it. And, no, I don't think either Steve or Clint are oc. (I like your head cannon about Clint - I live there, too.) Clint would know some of what Steve is feeling - survivors guilt can take a heavy toll an anyone. I enjoyed the conversation - it felt right.
Thanks for sharing.
Fire Princen Zuko chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
Well, depends on which canon you go on. Marvel changes canon as often as I change my phone background. I'm fairly certain there was one where he did.

But, ermehgerd, that was amazing! Like, mind blown type of amazing!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
Very nice. Though for some reason I kept thinking about that Starship line-'go out and get killed for something or I will kill you for nothing...' Maybe I'm weird. :)
Shakespeare's Lemonade chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
Really enjoyed this. I don't think it was too OOC either. Maybe a little, but that's artistic license. I love that you mentioned that poem; it's one of my favorites, and it worked into your theme quite nicely. Good job.
Jackaroo chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
Honestly? I think it could use some work. It's like you've written dialogue and filled in the gaps. It kinda works in movies because we visually fill in the gaps with little things the actors show us, but in writing, a bit more description - motivations, thoughts, just don't go overboard - can help.

Not to mention if we're going movie-verse, even 'headcanon'... I get irked anytime someone has Barton stringing together more than a few sentences without a clear and obvious motivation for it(my favourite motivation being when he's being a pain in the arse :P). In the bits we saw of Clint Barton when he wasn't being controlled by Loki, he didn't seem especially inclined to talk much.

In this, you've given reasons as to why he could say what he says...but what's his actual motivation to reach out to a teammate? Where is he at, in his head, that he'd think what he had to say would be of any use?

Hope that made sense.

Best of luck!

Jack
captain austen chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
I really liked it. Clint in the army might not be proper marvel cannon, but it works very well here. Thanks for the story.