Reviews for Machiavelli's Favorite Son
Alice Morte chapter 11 . 11/20/2014
I can't believe I just found this story today. Amazing job, I'm a bit of a history buff myself so it's been awesome seeing Darcy talk about it. I can't wait to see where this goes.
Sarah Miler chapter 11 . 9/28/2014
I love your story and I can't wait for more soon!
Alibi Nonsense chapter 8 . 8/19/2014
Just an error regarding who is speaking that I wanted to point out to you:

"Perhaps it is better that I show you rather than try to say it."
"I'm...I'm not sure that's wise." He Ihated/I to admit to any real sort of discomfort, but he had discomfort with this idea of actually showing her.

...I just thought you might want to know, since I, personally, am very irritated at myself when this kind of thing happens.

I also want to say that this is the second time I'm reading this and it's... well, it's just a wonderful fic. Darcy is funny, a bit sassy and awesome, like she is in the films, and Loki and the rest are just brilliant. It's a long story - the fic - but it makes you want to read on so that you don't notice that it's 20 past midnight or something ridiculous until you've finished and you look at the time.
It really is awesome. I just love the bits with Darcy and Loki together: they make a sweet pair; friends or more than. XD
A Mistake chapter 1 . 7/23/2014
I'm going through my third read of this fanfic before I realised that I haven't even left one review. That's a big no-no on my books for a story I loved inside out, from the concept/idea up to the narration/storytelling itself. So... mea culpa. I'll try to make up for it now.

As a social science person myself, I can't tell you how happy (giddy, extremely giddy) I am that you've decided to address this canon aspect of Darcy Lewis that could've easily been her ace in the hole. Yeah, she's not from the physical sciences, and has no superpowers and is practically another ordinary human, but that doesn't preclude her from being able to see things from an angle that no one else had considered. I always have a (probably creepy) grin whenever I reach the part where Darcy started ranting about Bonaparte and Caesar. The same could be said when she mused about how humanity doesn't have a good track record of constantly trying to turn everything into weapons/blow each other up.

I like the way you wrote Darcy to be insightful enough that, even if it really sucks to be on the business end of a conquering glow stick, humanity can't really claim the moral high ground of being all peaches and cream either. There's certainly a lot of dirty laundry throughout human history. Just by writing that insight, and the acceptance of that knowledge, into the heart of her character made it reasonable to see her being able to meet Loki halfway in a civil conversation. Why she didn't panic and ran as far as she could from Loki makes good sense in that context.

Also, this part?

"There is one thing you did wrong, though... most successful dictators in history have made their public love them."

I punched my fist into the air when I first read it. I may or may not have hollered, in the middle of the night. It was gold. It represented how Darcy had successfully directed her intellect to dismantle Loki's motivation and actions, pointing the flaws, and yet articulating them in a way that Loki could understand and accept. That takes considerable skill, skill that she has no doubt cultivated when she studied the range of field that she loved. That also shows just how bored out of her wits she had been all this time, enmeshed with people working in a completely different field, without the opportunity to challenge her mind that she tackled Loki's issues head-on readily, his being a failed-dictator, chained-ex-supervillain notwithstanding.

Out of all the stories I've read, your Darcy is probably one favourite Darcy characterisations. Honest.

...and, yeah, that's about it for chapter one. Please tell me if I'm rambling too much, I'll gladly cut back when I came around to actually write a proper review for some of the other chapters. I have the tendency to gush over any fanfic where the character(s) could stop and think carefully not only through their movements and motivations, but also through their rival's/enemy's movements and motivations.
Epic ness chapter 11 . 7/6/2014
Really epic, I hope you update soon!
DoubleDee068 chapter 11 . 6/19/2014
update update updatteee! :D
Potkanka chapter 11 . 6/17/2014
S.H.I.E.L.D. will surely want to blame Loki for this, I wonder if they'll even make it go public. Sure, Loki probably shouldn't solve it with outright killing them, but he grew up in a warrior culture and when someone assaults you, it's probably the safest option back there, so is anyone really surprised? Still, next time, Loki should try just knocking them out, Darcy would appreciate it as well (and that's something that could make him agree to it, I think).
And so Darcy is going to be the one holding Loki's leash now... that's pretty good as they're pretty much all the time on Midgard together anyway. Still not total freedom but right now they probably couldn't ask for more. Besides, I'm not sure how that collar exactly works, but if it actually somehow pulls Loki towards the person he's attached to, then he'd also know if someone tried to kidnap Darcy again as well as know which in direction to go. He can probably find that out with magic too, but this is a good failsafe.
Aww, and they're getting closer and closer... I wonder if Tony would refuse to transfer the control of the collar if he knew they're starting to get feelings for each other. Or maybe he suspects? They spend all the time available together after all...
Phoenix Rebel chapter 11 . 5/25/2014
Welcome back! I'm so sorry you've had such a bad 8 mths...I hope things get better for you.

I may have to go back and reread some chapters. When she says "It's definitely a start towar what we're aiming for" I feel like she has a plan that I should remember. But I don't really remember her having an actual plan. I remember more of her just sort of doing things for Loki but not explaining why. *scratches head* Maybe I've forgotten?
ApatheticGamer chapter 11 . 5/22/2014
This is an amazing story!
Alfheimchick chapter 11 . 5/11/2014
Sorry to hear about your troubled times, hopefully the rest of the year will look up for you in a major way :)
I really enjoyed this chapter, it was great to keep reading this story.

Internet hugs,
Alfheimchick
fringeperson chapter 11 . 5/6/2014
Yay! A chapter! And even more than that: YAY! Progress for Darcy and Loki! Very much worth the wait.
Chuuulip chapter 11 . 5/6/2014
ahhhhhhh an update! finally finally i was so losing hope for this story because i ahvent seen any story update for a long time xD but never mind, i can finally read this story again, and really looking forward to read the next one anytime soon in a regular basis. i'm sorry to heard bout some unfortunate things that happend to you, hope everything would be just fine now, cheers!
Lillie chapter 11 . 5/6/2014
Woohoo! Sorry to hear about the crappy start of the year, but here's to looking ahead and moving forward. :)
AnAnnaGrin chapter 11 . 5/5/2014
Awesome chapter! :) Sorry to hear about all the stuff that's been going down with you and yours. My thoughts are with you.
Dontgotaclue88 chapter 11 . 5/5/2014
Just love the Darcy and Loki parin! :) So happy I got to read this chapter today. So thanks.